Author Topic: Celtics, Warriors in lead for Paul?  (Read 8480 times)

Re: Celtics, Warriors in lead for Paul?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
This sounds like speculation to me.  Regardless, I don't see the league trading CP3 for Rondo + Bradley + picks.

The only thing is that Rondo is probably the biggest "star" that's been mentioned in any of the trade talks that would actually end up on the Hornets. 

While the collective packages of the Clippers and Lakers may have been better, if the league is looking to market the Hornets to sell them, Rondo is an exciting player to watch and has a ton of national recognition due to the C's recent success.

According to this CNBC article, Rondo had the #3 selling in the NBA last year. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42568279

So there's definitely appeal to the Hornets landing him from a financial standpoint. 

The question is, can the league justify it now that it's shot down the Lakers deal?   

it's interesting that rondo was the #3 sold jersey.  surprising. 

still, i don't see how the league could justify a deal centered around rondo when it wouldn't take a package including the t-wolves pick and / or eric gordon plus a couple other nice prospects from the clippers.

i don't think the league is interested in being seen as helping out a large market.  if paul is dealt anywhere, it won't be to a team in a large market, unless it's a step-sister like the clips.

I partially agree with you.  But, it makes sense from a financial standpoint.  And if the NBA is truly a league of stars (and it is), shouldn't the package with the brightest star be the best package? 

And while Eric Gordon might be a very nice player he doesn't have the national recognition, All Star appearances, or the ring that Rondo has. 

Again, I see where you're coming from and agree with you objectively.  But I think there's ways the league could spin that make some sense too. 

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I agree. If a third team got involved to sweeten the pot for NO, a package centered around Rondo would contain the biggest star value so far.

I'm not suprised Rondo's Jersey is third - he is a show man. Even my Laker buddies out here like him a lot.

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This sounds like speculation to me.  Regardless, I don't see the league trading CP3 for Rondo + Bradley + picks.

Maybe at the trade deadline? When is the deadline this season, given the compressed schedule?

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »

Offline bagwell368

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1

Maybe at the trade deadline? When is the deadline this season, given the compressed schedule?
I heard it was moved to mid March

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I am convinced that Stern will not trade Paul and wants his revenue in New Orleans, not unless the player(s) who come back have ticket selling celebrity.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I am convinced that Stern will not trade Paul and wants his revenue in New Orleans, not unless the player(s) who come back have ticket selling celebrity.

As I said above, Rondo has the number 3 selling jersey in the NBA. 

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think Wyc needs to put together a portfolio of all of the reports that Paul does not want to come to Boston, give them to Stern with a post-it that says "Wanna show him who's in charge?"

Haha.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Boston hasn't been mentioned yet as being interested in reviving the talks so I am thinking that Ainge has already acted on Plan B and the signing of Green might have derailed any CP3 deal. Though if he "fails" the physical then is his signing even official?

Will he just be traded to somewhere already so this talk can end. Dear Orlando, get it over with and try to trade for him. I'm fine with Rondo here in Boston, if he does indeed get traded, so be it.. if it's for CP3 great... just get it done already. Honestly I hope Danny Ainge comes out and says he isn't interested anymore.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Part of me thinks that Stern would absolutely cause harm to the Hornets by not trading Paul and forcing him to take a reduced, non-bird max offer just to stand his ground and not let a player after the lockout dictate where he goes AND receive a full bird rights extension.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »

Offline ugh

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Face it, noone thinks Rondo is that good....let's just put this crap to rest.

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Not buying it.  It has come straight from CP that he has no interest in Boston and he wouldn't sign an extension here.

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Not buying it.  It has come straight from CP that he has no interest in Boston and he wouldn't sign an extension here.

I think he'd sign if Ainge could add a top talent with that cap space next summer. Early next summer. Needs to happen before Paul has to make up his mind about where to go.

If Ainge can't do that, then I think it's doubtful C.Paul stays.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
hornets247 hornets247.com
Just spoke to someone in Eastern Conference front office who told me Celtics are officially out of Paul mix because they are 100% convinced

hornets247 hornets247.com
that deal is done either today or tomorrow with one of the LA teams. Boston is moving on and looking at other options

"other options"?  seems like the only "other options" involve keeping the roster more or less as-is. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Humphries is still out there.. Would he be an option at this point? Or does that really not make sense cause he cant play Center? Im not firmiliar enough with him to know which he plays more PF or C.

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Humphries is still out there.. Would he be an option at this point? Or does that really not make sense cause he cant play Center? Im not firmiliar enough with him to know which he plays more PF or C.

Humphries is likely to get overpayed by someone, but his options are dwindling now so who knows?