Author Topic: Jackie MacMullen Article on the Celtics Season  (Read 8549 times)

Re: Jackie MacMullen Article on the Celtics Season
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Kyrie walked out on CLE, then he walks out on Boston. No one is buying anything he says unless they have an agenda.

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I have a lot of respect for Jackie, and she is due some deference, but some parts of this article bug me.

"the young players" who went out -- what does this mean?  ALL of the young players?  Jaylen, Jayson, Terry, Semi, Daniel, Yabu, Marcus, Robert and PJ (can't remember if he was on the roster at the time or not)??   Or just a couple?  Several?

The thing I hate about this kind of vagueness is the story changes dramatically depending on if you think the "young players" refers to just a couple of your personal least-favorite "bad boys who are disrespectful to Kyrie" versus if you think the "young players" is a complete show of solidarity by all the "young players against the abrasive faux leadership of Tyrant Kyrie".

People will read it completely differently depending on their already-conceived prejudices.

Another thing that bugs me is the overly forlorn and dramatic portrayal of Kyrie skipping the reporters' session to shoot basketballs all by himself.  Supposedly with the "hope" that the young players who played poorly would join him.

All alone.   So sad.

Give me a break.   Did he also hope that the _veteran_ players who played poorly would join him?   DID any single Celtic, old or young join him?  Did he even really _want_ anyone to join him?  Or is that just the retro story?   How does the author know that he was hoping someone would join him?  Is she just assuming?  Did Kyrie tell her that?    If so, she should quote him saying what he felt at the time so the reader knows that this is Kyrie claiming it.   She should not write it out as a third-person narrative from the perspective of God.

The article indicates that bars in South Beach stay open until 5 am.   Great.  So ... did the young players (Again, who?) close the bars down?  Get rowdy and boogie all night long?    Or did they just stop in for a quick drink to check out the scene and relax after the flight and then go back to the hotel?

Stating the closing time of the bars implies an extreme late night out.  But it doesn't actually claim there was a late night out.  Again, different readers will read what they want out of that.

Overall, it's a disappointing read.   It seems purposely designed to incite and inflame rather than inform.
Literally NOBODY does that in real world

I've done that. Long flight, git the bar across the street from the hotel. Had a drink with my brother inlaw, and back to the hotel.

So call me NOBODY

You make a fair point, but there are a few key differences here: 1) the players weren't going to catch up with family 2) they went to a night club, not a bar 3) they left after checking into their hotel at 2 in the morning 4) they had a basketball game to play the next day

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I have a lot of respect for Jackie, and she is due some deference, but some parts of this article bug me.

"the young players" who went out -- what does this mean?  ALL of the young players?  Jaylen, Jayson, Terry, Semi, Daniel, Yabu, Marcus, Robert and PJ (can't remember if he was on the roster at the time or not)??   Or just a couple?  Several?

The thing I hate about this kind of vagueness is the story changes dramatically depending on if you think the "young players" refers to just a couple of your personal least-favorite "bad boys who are disrespectful to Kyrie" versus if you think the "young players" is a complete show of solidarity by all the "young players against the abrasive faux leadership of Tyrant Kyrie".

People will read it completely differently depending on their already-conceived prejudices.

Another thing that bugs me is the overly forlorn and dramatic portrayal of Kyrie skipping the reporters' session to shoot basketballs all by himself.  Supposedly with the "hope" that the young players who played poorly would join him.

All alone.   So sad.

Give me a break.   Did he also hope that the _veteran_ players who played poorly would join him?   DID any single Celtic, old or young join him?  Did he even really _want_ anyone to join him?  Or is that just the retro story?   How does the author know that he was hoping someone would join him?  Is she just assuming?  Did Kyrie tell her that?    If so, she should quote him saying what he felt at the time so the reader knows that this is Kyrie claiming it.   She should not write it out as a third-person narrative from the perspective of God.

The article indicates that bars in South Beach stay open until 5 am.   Great.  So ... did the young players (Again, who?) close the bars down?  Get rowdy and boogie all night long?    Or did they just stop in for a quick drink to check out the scene and relax after the flight and then go back to the hotel?

Stating the closing time of the bars implies an extreme late night out.  But it doesn't actually claim there was a late night out.  Again, different readers will read what they want out of that.

Overall, it's a disappointing read.   It seems purposely designed to incite and inflame rather than inform.

I've done that. Long flight, git the bar across the street from the hotel. Had a drink with my brother inlaw, and back to the hotel.

So call me NOBODY

You are talking about something complete different here (and I am pretty confused that people don't seem to understand what the article is talking about). If i landed kind of late and my brother or a relative invited me for a beer at the hotel bar or a bar across the street, most of the time I would say probably yes. If I landed and a friend or relative (or to be more similar a group of friends) said "hey lets go downtown to the clubs that are open till 5am" and i had something to do the next day I would say absolutely not! These are completely different things

(sorry we don't get to call you nobody).

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »

Offline hayhayc

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
always like jackie's articles. 
this one to me is scary though.
Always assume kyrie is gone but then i don't think all the blame is on him. He is part of the problem but not 'the' problem.
The scary bit of the article is that our young guys who should be this team's future seems to lack that dedication and effort to up their game, sounds similar to KAT and wiggins, feeling entitled without even trying to prove themselves.
Hope they can look into the mirror and reflect on this bad season and put their on court preform back as their priority!

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

All alone.   So sad.

So call me NOBODY

You are talking about something complete different here (and I am pretty confused that people don't seem to understand what the article is talking about). If i landed kind of late and my brother or a relative invited me for a beer at the hotel bar or a bar across the street, most of the time I would say probably yes. If I landed and a friend or relative (or to be more similar a group of friends) said "hey lets go downtown to the clubs that are open till 5am" and i had something to do the next day I would say absolutely not! These are completely different things

(sorry we don't get to call you nobody).

In my early twenties I went out late like that as would many at that age. I used to go to work on two hours sleep on a regular basis. That would kill me now of course but lots of people would party like that.

Not saying it's a good idea especially for pro athletes but I don't think it's that rare.

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2019, 06:30:38 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Only one life to live. Old superstars like Bird and Jordan also partied in their 20s. Just because someone makes obscene amount of money does not mean they cannot have a personal life. How many people in their 20s do not go out and stay out late on occasion. 21 and 22 year olds....big deal.

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2019, 06:17:23 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Kyrie walked out on CLE, then he walks out on Boston. No one is buying anything he says unless they have an agenda.

pretty much this. Sure, the young guys getting big heads was an issue. But Kyrie did the same exact thing in boston that he did in Cleveland. By the end of his tenure he didnt get along with ANYONE on the celtics