Author Topic: One Team League Pass  (Read 3733 times)

Re: One Team League Pass
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Buy international league pass instead.  All the games, none of the blackouts, and it's actually cheaper in some locations.  I believe India was the cheapest last year.

Just use a VPN to sign up, and to launch the games, but once you start streaming you can turn your VPN off if you wanted (or move it back to a local region).

This sounds great... but I have no idea what you're talking about. How do I find this? VPN?
Sorry for the ignorance.

You may already be going the other route, watching the free pirated streams, but in case you want to pay (or for others who may be interested).

A VPN (virtual private network) let's you virtually log in as if you were somewhere else.  The VPN I use has about 15 US locations, and about 40 international locations to choose from, and right now my work computer is logged into Washington DC, my home computer is logged into California, and my phone is logged into Houston, even though I'm nowhere near any of those places.  Some of the major benefits of this is increased security and anonymity.  If you go to a website like https://iplocation.com/ without a VPN on, chances are you'll see your general location on a map, kind of unsettling that every website you visit knows the general area of where you live, but when I go to a website with my VPN on, nobody knows the real state or even country I'm in.  Just google VPN for more details if curious.

Now, this is a service you have to pay for, but it's something I recommend everybody use, tons of providers out there, most cost between $3-$10 per month.  But if you work for just about any corporation that has issued you a work laptop, chances are you already have a VPN and have to sign on to it any time you try to access the work network from home, so you may already have a free VPN available at your fingertips.

So with my VPN set to California this is what I see.  Every option mentions blackouts, and no mention of playoffs.  And at the bottom it says all Lakers and Clippers games will be blacked out.

When I switch my VPN to the UK, there's no mention of blackouts.  I'd get all regular season games + playoffs + NBA TV access (with some options).

When I switch my VPN to India, it's similar to the UK.  No blackouts + playoffs + NBA TV access

But then there's the prices.

In the US, the full year cost is $119.99 for 1 team.

In the UK, the full yer cost is 99.99 pounds which converts to $131.72 for 1 team.

In India, the full year cost is 999.00 rupees which converts to $13.73 for all teams!!!!!  That's an incredible deal!!!!!

Wow!

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 09:40:27 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Unless you're at least a little tech savvy, you might not want to mess around with VPNs and other such things. I know it's not hard, if you know what you're doing, but to the less technically inclined it's not so easy. League pass isn't that expensive and in my experience the technical difficulties were cleared up by mid season. Yes a lot of games will be on national TV, but a lot won't, if you want to see every game easily and legally league pass is a good option.

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Don't waste your money.  If you have a good internet connection, you should visit https://www.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/

I've always been able to find a quality stream for Celtics games there.

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I used the reddit streams last year after tech issues with league pass year prior- Reddit was awesome and never missed a game. Highly recommend it

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 11:14:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have no suggestions.  just wanted to say last year was my first year
with NBA league pass.  I was horrified by the product.

Countless games I had to give up on due to glitches, poor viewing quality.

Couldn't believe something you pay 120 for was so lousy...

Almost rather listen on the radio.   

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:04 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
That reddit stream even worked in my ps4 as well...was surprised but it worked on all devices

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Buy international league pass instead.  All the games, none of the blackouts, and it's actually cheaper in some locations.  I believe India was the cheapest last year.

Just use a VPN to sign up, and to launch the games, but once you start streaming you can turn your VPN off if you wanted (or move it back to a local region).

This sounds great... but I have no idea what you're talking about. How do I find this? VPN?
Sorry for the ignorance.

You may already be going the other route, watching the free pirated streams, but in case you want to pay (or for others who may be interested).

A VPN (virtual private network) let's you virtually log in as if you were somewhere else.  The VPN I use has about 15 US locations, and about 40 international locations to choose from, and right now my work computer is logged into Washington DC, my home computer is logged into California, and my phone is logged into Houston, even though I'm nowhere near any of those places.  Some of the major benefits of this is increased security and anonymity.  If you go to a website like https://iplocation.com/ without a VPN on, chances are you'll see your general location on a map, kind of unsettling that every website you visit knows the general area of where you live, but when I go to a website with my VPN on, nobody knows the real state or even country I'm in.  Just google VPN for more details if curious.

Now, this is a service you have to pay for, but it's something I recommend everybody use, tons of providers out there, most cost between $3-$10 per month.  But if you work for just about any corporation that has issued you a work laptop, chances are you already have a VPN and have to sign on to it any time you try to access the work network from home, so you may already have a free VPN available at your fingertips.

So with my VPN set to California this is what I see.  Every option mentions blackouts, and no mention of playoffs.  And at the bottom it says all Lakers and Clippers games will be blacked out.

When I switch my VPN to the UK, there's no mention of blackouts.  I'd get all regular season games + playoffs + NBA TV access (with some options).

When I switch my VPN to India, it's similar to the UK.  No blackouts + playoffs + NBA TV access

In the UK, the full year cost is 99.99 pounds which converts to $131.72 for 1 team.

In India, the full year cost is 999.00 rupees which converts to $13.73 for all teams!!!!!  That's an incredible deal!!!!!

Very interesting, TP.

Do you have to have your VPN set to India for every stream, or just to sign up? I want to watch on my TV, not a computer.

I've bought the League Pass from my cable provider the last like 13-14 seasons, and wouldn't mind going the "one team" route, since I've had a pretty positive experience watching them on the NBA app on my Samsung TV and more than half the games are on TNT/ESPN/ABC/NBATV/MSG(Knicks)/YES(Nets). So $199+tax for like 37 games or whatever is kind of frustrating.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Sorry for the ignorance.

In the UK, the full year cost is 99.99 pounds which converts to $131.72 for 1 team.

Very interesting, TP.

Do you have to have your VPN set to India for every stream, or just to sign up? I want to watch on my TV, not a computer.

I've bought the League Pass from my cable provider the last like 13-14 seasons, and wouldn't mind going the "one team" route, since I've had a pretty positive experience watching them on the NBA app on my Samsung TV and more than half the games are on TNT/ESPN/ABC/NBATV/MSG(Knicks)/YES(Nets). So $199+tax for like 37 games or whatever is kind of frustrating.

League Pass won't recognize your subscription if you log in from a different country than the one you signed up from.

So if you signed up in India, you have to start every stream logged in from India.  Once the stream has started though, you can turn off the VPN or switch it to any other location and it won't interrupt the stream.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:16:38 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:48 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So I was going to post something about league pass.  Glad to see the thread.  I've had league pass from directv (all teams) and single team in the past.  Obviously it's more expensive for all teams but I pretty much hated the streaming version, which is what you need to get if you want one team.

My issues with the streaming version were that I could not start watching a game from the beginning once it had started but before the game was over.  So used to doing that with any other game I record on my DVR.

The other issue I had was an even bigger one.  When I went to watch a game after it had ended you can see that DANG score when you went to start the game.  How dumb is that?  What's the point of watching the game if you see the score before starting it?

Anyway, I have an older TV that is smart, but not nearly as user friendly as newer sets.  Perhaps these issues have been fixed.  Or perhaps I missed something when I had it.  But I wouldn't get the streaming version again.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
Lots of help here! Thank you CelticsStrong.

Feels more easy going on this new platform... Stronger community built.
Thanks again.

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Here is my feedback in terms of a quality perspective from a fan living in another city that relies on non local broadcasts. I won't get into cost because obviously reddit is free and the others aren't.

Best: NBA League pass through cable provider. Before I canceled my cable, this was almost perfect quality, no lag, etc. Was like watching a live game on NBC. No difference.

Below Average: Reddit streams. You have to navigate through popups and the other annoyances of getting something illegally. If the game is huge (Celtics vs Warriors), you're going to get laggy situations that require restarts, watching 320p or less (sometimes you have to make out what is happening through a sea of blur -- hey I think that was Smart that shot a ball and it maybe went in), the stream sometimes buffers and skips back 30 seconds. It's just not a consistent experience and you WILL miss plays.

Terrible: NBA League pass through streaming. It's absolutely trash and the fact that you pay for it exacerbates the situation.

Long and short: if you have cable, buy it through your cable provider. If you don't have cable, you're at the mercy of the redditstreams Gods.

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Here is my feedback in terms of a quality perspective from a fan living in another city that relies on non local broadcasts. I won't get into cost because obviously reddit is free and the others aren't.

Best: NBA League pass through cable provider. Before I canceled my cable, this was almost perfect quality, no lag, etc. Was like watching a live game on NBC. No difference.

Below Average: Reddit streams. You have to navigate through popups and the other annoyances of getting something illegally. If the game is huge (Celtics vs Warriors), you're going to get laggy situations that require restarts, watching 320p or less (sometimes you have to make out what is happening through a sea of blur -- hey I think that was Smart that shot a ball and it maybe went in), the stream sometimes buffers and skips back 30 seconds. It's just not a consistent experience and you WILL miss plays.

Terrible: NBA League pass through streaming. It's absolutely trash and the fact that you pay for it exacerbates the situation.

Long and short: if you have cable, buy it through your cable provider. If you don't have cable, you're at the mercy of the redditstreams Gods.

Yeah - streaming league pass is a huge disappointment. Shocking, really. It's a good thing the Cs are good enough to get on national TV a lot or I'd be bummed, living outside the area now.

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
One other thing...

My ten year old son is super into the celtics and wants to watch the games. He won’t be able to stay up for most of them. The replay option on league pass is therefore appealing. Any opinions on that aspect of league pass?

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

Sorry for the ignorance.

Very interesting, TP.

League Pass won't recognize your subscription if you log in from a different country than the one you signed up from.

So if you signed up in India, you have to start every stream logged in from India.  Once the stream has started though, you can turn off the VPN or switch it to any other location and it won't interrupt the stream.

Considering I don’t know much about VPN’s and wold have to probably pay for one, I think I should refrain from going down that road lol.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
So I was going to post something about league pass.  Glad to see the thread.  I've had league pass from directv (all teams) and single team in the past.  Obviously it's more expensive for all teams but I pretty much hated the streaming version, which is what you need to get if you want one team.

My issues with the streaming version were that I could not start watching a game from the beginning once it had started but before the game was over.  So used to doing that with any other game I record on my DVR.

The other issue I had was an even bigger one.  When I went to watch a game after it had ended you can see that DANG score when you went to start the game.  How dumb is that?  What's the point of watching the game if you see the score before starting it?

Anyway, I have an older TV that is smart, but not nearly as user friendly as newer sets.  Perhaps these issues have been fixed.  Or perhaps I missed something when I had it.  But I wouldn't get the streaming version again.

That’s the biggest dissapointment for me, not having the option of restarting it from the beginning while it’s still on. I’m pretty sure you can put it on and rewind it, but you still risk seeing the score.

As far as seeing the score in the app, you can turn that off by going into options/settings. It won’t show live or finished scores unless you click on box score/recap.

I’m a little confused. I’ve only bough through my cable provider (I’ve had Time Warner and Verizon), and on heavy game nights (usually Wednesdays and Fridays), I would be forced to watch a game in standard definition depending on the start time.

And in the 2014-15, I spent four months of the season away from home and had to rely on watching through my iPad and had no real issues.

This past season, if I forgot to record or whatever and had to use the app, I had zero issues and actually thought picture quality was excellent (as good as HD feed through cable provider).

Can’t speak to reddit, but I don’t see what everyone’s issue is with the quality stream through the NBA app. I’ve used it on my Samsung TV, Apple TV, iPad, and multiple iPhones and yeah it’s not perfect but certainly not bad enough to moan and groan about.

One other thing...

My ten year old son is super into the celtics and wants to watch the games. He won’t be able to stay up for most of them. The replay option on league pass is therefore appealing. Any opinions on that aspect of league pass?

Most of the time I’ve used the NBA app, it’s after the game has ended.

I really like it. They cut out most commercials and give you both teams feeds to choose from (cable providers usually provide you with the home teams telecast).
CELTICS 2024