Author Topic: Favorite Italian restaurant in Boston?  (Read 14906 times)

Favorite Italian restaurant in Boston?
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm taking my wife to Boston for our six-month wedding anniversary, and would like to bring her to a nice Italian restaurant in the North End.  Any tips?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Favorite Italian restaurant in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
My personal suggestion would be to veer away from the North End, and go to Artu on Beacon Hill (it is on Charles St I believe).  It is better than the big Artu in the North end, and is a pretty romantic atmosphere. 

If you want to stick with the North End however, I would recommend either Giacomos (not as romantic atmosphere, but the best italian style seafood  I have ever had), or Pagliucas.

On a side note, if anyone has any suggestions for an Italian place in the Northern suburbs (Medford, Malden, Everett, Saugus, etc.), those would be very welcome.  My wife and I are actually celebrating our 6 month anniversary tonight, and wanted to go someplace up there, rather than dealing with the city...

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't get to the north end much but my dad liked Lucia's.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
massiminos....five minute walk to the garden

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline Yvette

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 115
I dine in IL Capriccio at Main st., Waltham... Just loved the food, and atmosphere...

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Six months...you expecting it to end soon  :P

It's a chain but I like Maggiano's on Columbus Ave.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
massiminos....five minute walk to the garden

FYI - I went here the last time I went to a game and was impressed.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

Offline JPMmiles

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3

On a side note, if anyone has any suggestions for an Italian place in the Northern suburbs (Medford, Malden, Everett, Saugus, etc.), those would be very welcome.  My wife and I are actually celebrating our 6 month anniversary tonight, and wanted to go someplace up there, rather than dealing with the city...

Bistro 5 in Medford.  One of the best meals of my entire life.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I'm taking my wife to Boston for our six-month wedding anniversary, and would like to bring her to a nice Italian restaurant in the North End.  Any tips?
Roy, I'll give you three picks--

if you don't mind dropping a paycheck, Prezza on Fleet St is really, really good upscale Italian fare, that's not all red sauce pasta.

the most romantic that has been a common spot for my wife & me is Pomodoro on Hanover St. This place is very small, so you should definitely make a rez, and the menu is small but the food is really solid and you can have 2 courses each with great wine for under $150. They are cash only, but there's an ATM a few doors down. Also, if you go there, go for the antipasto plate which always changes and is large enough for you two to share as an app, or 1 to eat as an entree. After dinner there, walk a few doors down to Modern Pastry for fantastic Italian desserts (don't got to Mike's across the street, its a tourist trap and garbage!).

Finally, if you guys like a good mix Mare (Richmond St I think?)is also a great spot. It's a coastal Italian style place that has great Italian seafood dishes (they are pretty authentic as I spent 3 weeks up & down the Amalfi coast last year), but they also have tuscan style steaks, pasta etc...Great drinks & wine list, and priced between the two restaurants above.

I don't know if this will make a difference to you, but I am an executive chef and am very picky about where I eat--these places have never failed me. If you try any of the three, I'd be interested in knowing how you liked them.

Have fun!

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Don't know of any....But congrats on your anniversary, Coach.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
There's a place called Carmen in the North End which: 1) has a very nice, romantic, small atmosphere; 2) has very good food & wine list; and 3) is pricey.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
Delfino in Roslindale village is the best Italian I have come across in the city. Better than any place I have stopped in the north end and much more reasonably priced because it isn't in the "touristy italian" area.

Food is unbelievably good and consistent. Best Bolognese and Tiramisu in the City hands down. The apps are my only complaint, not a ton of options. Always have really good specials

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The North End's Fiore is a great option, especially if their roof deck is open:

Review: http://dishthisboston.blogspot.com/2009/02/ristorante-fiore-in-north-end.html

I haven't been in a couple years, but it was excellent the last time I was there.

FYI -- Being a rich lawyer will be help at this place.   :D
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
FYI -- Being a rich lawyer will be help at this place.   :D

Haha.  Still working on the "rich" part.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
My personal suggestion would be to veer away from the North End, and go to Artu on Beacon Hill (it is on Charles St I believe).  It is better than the big Artu in the North end, and is a pretty romantic atmosphere. 

If you want to stick with the North End however, I would recommend either Giacomos (not as romantic atmosphere, but the best italian style seafood  I have ever had), or Pagliucas.

I would say Giacomos too but there is no waiting room and there is always a wait. You have to line up outside for a table.

I know that sounds crazy but Chris is right. The food is AMAZING and reasonably priced for the N. End.

So Giacomos might not be appropriate for an anniversary with your wife.

I would suggest Terramia. The food is great

Check out the menu. The atmosphere is very romantic.

http://www.terramiaristorante.com/index.html