Around the League > Around the NBA

Magic rips Rob Pelinka, calls him a backstabber

(1/9) > >>

Roy H.:

--- Quote ---Using the word "betrayal," Magic Johnson made it clear that general manager Rob Pelinka was the one "backstabbing" him, telling people that he wasn't working hard and wanting to take his job with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In an appearance on First Take on Monday morning, Johnson did not hold back, identifying Pelinka as the person he was alluding to when he mentioned that he was tired of the "backstabbing" and "the whispering" that was going on behind his back when he suddenly stepped down as Lakers president of basketball operations on April 9.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Johnson explained that the other reason he ultimately stepped down before the Lakers' regular-season finale was that he felt he no longer had the power to make decisions, having previously answered just to controlling owner Jeanie Buss. Johnson said he wasn't allowed to fire then head coach Luke Walton after Tim Harris, Lakers president of basketball operations/NBA alternate governor, became too involved in basketball decisions.

"The straw that broke the camel's back was I wanted to fire Luke Walton," Johnson said. "I showed her the things he did well and the things he didn't do well. I said listen, we got to get a better coach. First day, well let's think about it. Second day, OK you can fire him. Then the next day, no we should try to work it out."

"So we went back and forth like that and then she brought Tim Harris into the meeting, some of the guys and Tim wanted to keep him because he was friends with him I said when I looked up, I only really answer to Jeanie Buss," Johnson continued. "Now I got Tim involved. It's time for me to go. I got things happening that were being said behind my back. I don't have the power I thought I had to make decisions. And I told them, when it is not fun for me, when I think I don't have the decision-making power I thought I had, I got to step aside."
--- End quote ---

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26787295/magic-lakers-gm-pelinka-was-backstabbing

He makes the Lakers' front office sound like a hot mess.

Tr1boy:

--- Quote from: Roy H. on May 20, 2019, 11:34:29 AM ---
--- Quote ---Using the word "betrayal," Magic Johnson made it clear that general manager Rob Pelinka was the one "backstabbing" him, telling people that he wasn't working hard and wanting to take his job with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In an appearance on First Take on Monday morning, Johnson did not hold back, identifying Pelinka as the person he was alluding to when he mentioned that he was tired of the "backstabbing" and "the whispering" that was going on behind his back when he suddenly stepped down as Lakers president of basketball operations on April 9.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Johnson explained that the other reason he ultimately stepped down before the Lakers' regular-season finale was that he felt he no longer had the power to make decisions, having previously answered just to controlling owner Jeanie Buss. Johnson said he wasn't allowed to fire then head coach Luke Walton after Tim Harris, Lakers president of basketball operations/NBA alternate governor, became too involved in basketball decisions.

"The straw that broke the camel's back was I wanted to fire Luke Walton," Johnson said. "I showed her the things he did well and the things he didn't do well. I said listen, we got to get a better coach. First day, well let's think about it. Second day, OK you can fire him. Then the next day, no we should try to work it out."

"So we went back and forth like that and then she brought Tim Harris into the meeting, some of the guys and Tim wanted to keep him because he was friends with him I said when I looked up, I only really answer to Jeanie Buss," Johnson continued. "Now I got Tim involved. It's time for me to go. I got things happening that were being said behind my back. I don't have the power I thought I had to make decisions. And I told them, when it is not fun for me, when I think I don't have the decision-making power I thought I had, I got to step aside."
--- End quote ---

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26787295/magic-lakers-gm-pelinka-was-backstabbing

He makes the Lakers' front office sound like a hot mess.

--- End quote ---

What doesnt make sense is

Just fire Pelinka then

Geeez

Also Walton was ultimately fired. So what happened?

Sounds like Magic couldnt deal with the process and politics of the job

green_bballers13:
Magic owns many businesses.

Do you think there's a chance that he wasn't in the building as often as his competing presidents of basketball operations?

People talk sh*t on losing teams. I probably would be peaved too if I couldn't find Magic in the office.

rocknrollforyoursoul:
Hearing that the Lakers front office is a hot mess ... what a great way to start the week. ;D

apc:
As much as i dislike Stephan A- he can get people to talk!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version