Poll

Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?

I wish we had made another decision
14 (35%)
I am still happy with his signing
26 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?  (Read 15027 times)

Re: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
reread what you wrote, then you’ll see what the huh is about

It's been corrected - tp for the heads up. It gets tiring trying to defend a position I don't even believe in!   :)

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
At the moment, the poll is 50-1. I'm beyond curious as to who voted against signing Hayward.

The OP seems to be assuming that any of the other players that Danny could have signed instead, would have been healthy all season. Who's to say that player wouldn't have suffered the same fate and missed the entire season. Hayward suffered a freak injury that could have happened to anyone. To be fair, I understand the thought process behind the question, but it is still far too soon to even question the signing.

The chance of the Celtics winning one or more titles, will have more to do with Hayward than any journeyman that Danny would have ever been able to sign last offseason.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Hindsight is always 20-20.

I wish he didn't get injured. I wished IT was 7" taller too. I think Hayward will fit into any style of play the Celtics can dream up. He can pass well, score well, rebound, and defend.

I'm thankful for the team and organization we have. 

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

I wish he didn't get injured. I wished IT was 7" taller too. I think Hayward will fit into any style of play the Celtics can dream up. He can pass well, score well, rebound, and defend.

Me, too - which is what made me think of the question. We assigned 30% of our cap to a player who played a total of 5 minutes and we still went to the ECF last year. Not only without Hayward, but without Kyrie, too - that is crazy!

But, in another world where we didn't make the BKN trade (or the Tatum/Fultz deal by extension), we re-signed IT to a huge contract, and Horford chose to go elsewhere, well, then this would put us in an entirely different position. Our entire livelihood would have depended on Hayward and it would have been devastating.

I was just trying to ask the question, if you had it to do all over again, would you make a different decision? One of my main reasons for being in the middle is because Danny has been on one of the greatest GM runs of all-time. If he wasn't able to sign Hayward, he surely would have made other dramatic moves. Can't we assume another impact player, say of Joe Ingles' caliber, probably would have pushed us to the Finals. That would have been exciting! And it still would have allowed us to sign our own FAs when the time comes next spring.

Like I said, though, good for Celtics Strong nation. You people really are a stand-up crowd. Having Hayward's back like this is not something all franchises can count on. I can't imagine the Miami Heat fans are too happy still paying Chris Bosh's max contract, despite the fact that he helped bring them two championships.

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
32 to maybe your one, jamb. Guess almost no one but you thought about what it would have been like not to sign Hayward because it wasn't fair that he got hurt.

I actually voted for Hayward's signing and generally agree with Roy/straightoutta/C4ever and other people who are satisfied enough with his signing, but not blasting me for even having the thought...nice dig, though, nick.

But, I'm not going to lie, I am on the fence. $30M last year could have gone a long way to help that Cs team get to the Finals - even without Kyrie. If the player/players signed with that money had been on 1-2 year contracts, we would have no issue re-signing Terry or Morris (and of course Kyrie) or worry about being in the tax this season.

I think Hayward will be good this year and during his contract, but I don't believe he will be a max player - that doesn't mean I am not happy to have him THIS year.

I am surprised that the poll is so lopsided. I mean, I expected people feel bad and vote for Hayward, but I never imagined so many would double down on having a heart. I imagine it would be even less skewed if we had created this poll immediately after his FA signing when he was coming off an all-star season. Good for Boston fans.
Gee, real sorry you took it as me taking a shot at you jambr, I didn't mean it that way. I was just making the point that not a lot of people agreed with the sentiment, possibly even you, which is why I said maybe. TP

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
32 to maybe your one, jamb. Guess almost no one but you thought about what it would have been like not to sign Hayward because it wasn't fair that he got hurt.

I actually voted for Hayward's signing and generally agree with Roy/straightoutta/C4ever and other people who are satisfied enough with his signing, but not blasting me for even having the thought...nice dig, though, nick.

But, I'm not going to lie, I am on the fence. $30M last year could have gone a long way to help that Cs team get to the Finals - even without Kyrie. If the player/players signed with that money had been on 1-2 year contracts, we would have no issue re-signing Terry or Morris (and of course Kyrie) or worry about being in the tax this season.

I think Hayward will be good this year and during his contract, but I don't believe he will be a max player - that doesn't mean I am not happy to have him THIS year.

I am surprised that the poll is so lopsided. I mean, I expected people feel bad and vote for Hayward, but I never imagined so many would double down on having a heart. I imagine it would be even less skewed if we had created this poll immediately after his FA signing when he was coming off an all-star season. Good for Boston fans.

I'm generally in agreement with what you're saying here, but who would they have used that extra $30 million on after the season started? Truly curious, not attacking.

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Prediction:

By the end of the season, instead of debating whether we should have signed Gordon, we will be debating whether or not he is the most valuable player on this team. He brings a skill set unmatched by anyone else we have, and can't wait for him to return to full health so as to put in on display.

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
People are slitting their wrists about Hayward already? Dude's played 1 official game since he got injured a year ago. :o
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Prediction:

By the end of the season, instead of debating whether we should have signed Gordon, we will be debating whether or not he is the most valuable player on this team. He brings a skill set unmatched by anyone else we have, and can't wait for him to return to full health so as to put in on display.
Agree with this prediction
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Me, too - which is what made me think of the question. We assigned 30% of our cap to a player who played a total of 5 minutes and we still went to the ECF last year. Not only without Hayward, but without Kyrie, too - that is crazy!

But, in another world where we didn't make the BKN trade (or the Tatum/Fultz deal by extension), we re-signed IT to a huge contract, and Horford chose to go elsewhere, well, then this would put us in an entirely different position. Our entire livelihood would have depended on Hayward and it would have been devastating.

I was just trying to ask the question, if you had it to do all over again, would you make a different decision? One of my main reasons for being in the middle is because Danny has been on one of the greatest GM runs of all-time. If he wasn't able to sign Hayward, he surely would have made other dramatic moves. Can't we assume another impact player, say of Joe Ingles' caliber, probably would have pushed us to the Finals. That would have been exciting! And it still would have allowed us to sign our own FAs when the time comes next spring.

Like I said, though, good for Celtics Strong nation. You people really are a stand-up crowd. Having Hayward's back like this is not something all franchises can count on. I can't imagine the Miami Heat fans are too happy still paying Chris Bosh's max contract, despite the fact that he helped bring them two championships.

I guess what you are talking about is return on investment. Have we got the return on the investment we made in our asset? If you look at it right now then obviously the answer is no, because the asset got injured and in the time it took for him to recover additional assets increased in value which made him look like he was worth less.

But when you're really looking at return on investment you'd want a longer time horizon than one year (unless that's how long you signed him for). He was signed for 4 years and sure one year was wasted but there's still 3 years to go on the investment and we'll get a better idea on how to answer your question after we've seen some games under his belt.

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I guess what you are talking about is return on investment. Have we got the return on the investment we made in our asset? If you look at it right now then obviously the answer is no, because the asset got injured and in the time it took for him to recover additional assets increased in value which made him look like he was worth less.

But when you're really looking at return on investment you'd want a longer time horizon than one year (unless that's how long you signed him for). He was signed for 4 years and sure one year was wasted but there's still 3 years to go on the investment and we'll get a better idea on how to answer your question after we've seen some games under his belt.
Yeah, as of now we haven't gotten the production one would want from $30m of spending, obviously.

However, I don't think that there was any guys at the time who we'd rather. Mill sap managed ~30 or so games. Gallo regularly hovers around 50 games. Was Blake Griffin a FA? I can't remember.

Even in terms of resigning Rozier/Morris, regardless of having Hayward or not having Rozier demand $20m/year would be problematic, because he really isn't that good. No regrets for me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Gee, real sorry you took it as me taking a shot at you jambr, I didn't mean it that way. I was just making the point that not a lot of people agreed with the sentiment, possibly even you, which is why I said maybe. TP

TP to you, too, Nick. Sorry if I was a little snippy - stressful work stuff lately and I'm interpreting everything as being negative.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Yeah, as of now we haven't gotten the production one would want from $30m of spending, obviously.

However, I don't think that there was any guys at the time who we'd rather. Mill sap managed ~30 or so games. Gallo regularly hovers around 50 games. Was Blake Griffin a FA? I can't remember.

Even in terms of resigning Rozier/Morris, regardless of having Hayward or not having Rozier demand $20m/year would be problematic, because he really isn't that good. No regrets for me

TPs to both you and gouki, and yes, I am definitely a huge return on investment guy in all facets of my life (value, efficiency, etc). I am certainly hopeful of Hayward's return to a near all-star level, but none of us can be sure. I do believe he will at least be a useful player who helps us win games on offense and defense.

As to what I would have done if forced to choose otherwise - assuming Hayward re-signed with Utah, that would have made Joe Ingles available. I would have signed him to his current contract  (4 years / $52M) or less. I would have also considered another mid-level signing or two on short money. If I had Danny level foresight, Tyreke Evans would have been a great target, but would have reached out to JaMychal Green and Jonathan Simmons.

I understand the apprehension on Rozier. He is not currently a $20M player, but I doubt DA was offering any more than $12-13M in an extension. If we had the money, I could have seen them meeting somewhere in the middle and I would have been okay with that given Rozier's upward trajectory. Also, I like Morris, but don't see him in double-digit figures per year so I would be quite happy hanging on to him for multiple years.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
None at all.

Still thankful we got him.

In this until the end.

He brought me so much joy seeing him playing last night..getting physical...got knocked down a few times but got back up EVERY single time..

Dude is healthy - FINALLY.

He'll get his basketball conditioning back eventually.

Can't look back..THIS is the team that will knock off the giants of the league over the next few years.

Just have to stay the course, circle the wagons and go with what we have on the roster right now. This team will compete for Banners.

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2018, 12:42:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

TPs to both you and gouki, and yes, I am definitely a huge return on investment guy in all facets of my life (value, efficiency, etc). I am certainly hopeful of Hayward's return to a near all-star level, but none of us can be sure. I do believe he will at least be a useful player who helps us win games on offense and defense.

Well he definitely looked better tonight. We may get the ROI we expected from him sooner rather than later at least.