Author Topic: Who do you root for?? (Soccer/Football)  (Read 36775 times)

Re: Who do you root for?? (Soccer/Football)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Was given my first United kit for my first birthday and haven't looked back since. Needless to say, I'm passionate.

I'll also stand by my promise to TP everyone who replies to any thread I post in today because I'm so happy we demolished Chelsea.

Congratulations... ;D  :P
I rather see ManU win than Chelsea.

I´m fan of a small team in the german second league. We´re currently in second place, and last time we got promoted (12 years ago), won the Championship the very next year. Would be great to see history repeating itself.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i've always liked arsenal

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:49 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I have been a fan of Tottenham for as long as I can remember.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Was given my first United kit for my first birthday and haven't looked back since. Needless to say, I'm passionate.

I'll also stand by my promise to TP everyone who replies to any thread I post in today because I'm so happy we demolished Chelsea.

I´m fan of a small team in the german second league. We´re currently in second place, and last time we got promoted (12 years ago), won the Championship the very next year. Would be great to see history repeating itself.

Kaiserslautern? Those Rehhagel engineered team with Ratinho/Ramzy/Ballack/Dkorkaeff, etc were funny. I wouldn't call them a small team.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

Kaiserslautern? Those Rehhagel engineered team with Ratinho/Ramzy/Ballack/Dkorkaeff, etc were funny. I wouldn't call them a small team.

Yepp, we`re probably the biggest "small" team in Germany, but other teams have much more money to spend. Terrible decisions in the FO forced the club to sell their stadium and youth center. Last season, they avoided relegation to the third league at the last minute, so I`m really happy with the way things are going right now. Ex-nationalplayer Stefan Kuntz has done an outstanding job as teammanager and formed this team in one off-season.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:29 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Shots, Max Power, Casperian, celticinorlando and Scott have all been given TP's in keeping with my promise.

Scott - If I could, I'd take that TP back ;) Just kidding. But I do hate Arsenal.

Casperian - Kaiserslautern are definitely not a small team. However, if you get promoted this year I don't see the title on the cards for you in 2010.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Shots, Max Power, Casperian, celticinorlando and Scott have all been given TP's in keeping with my promise.

Scott - If I could, I'd take that TP back ;) Just kidding. But I do hate Arsenal.

What can I say, I have to stick with them but that loss to Wigan yesterday hurt.  Back down in bottom three again but I remain hopeful that they can avoid relegation.

I couldn't agree with you more on Arsenal, hate them with a passion.  Anyone that hates Arsenal deserves a TP (thats your TP back :)).

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

What can I say, I have to stick with them but that loss to Wigan yesterday hurt.  Back down in bottom three again but I remain hopeful that they can avoid relegation.

I couldn't agree with you more on Arsenal, hate them with a passion.  Anyone that hates Arsenal deserves a TP (thats your TP back :)).

I actually thought you were the Arsenal fan - my bad! I've got a soft spot for Spurs, apart from when they play us and for no real reason boo Berbatov.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Barça! Easily the best team in the world right now.

And in England, Fulham. We're tough since Hodgson took over, at least considering our squad. Never liked Manu, and far less that son of a b***, Roy Keane, who went around injuring players on purpose. Chelsea have lost their charisma since Mourinho - who must be the world's top manager - left.
The Premier is fun this year with Liverpool finally on top and Villa strong as well. Interesting to see, too, that the Spurs are struggling badly after somer fluke good games under then back then new manager Redknapp. As if it had all been Juande's fault that management decided to sell its two top scorers late in preseason...

PS: That Lautern team's "architect" and key player was Sforza...

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Barça! Easily the best team in the world right now.

And in England, Fulham. We're tough since Hodgson took over, at least considering our squad. Never liked Manu, and far less that son of a b***, Roy Keane, who went around injuring players on purpose. Chelsea have lost their charisma since Mourinho - who must be the world's top manager - left.
The Premier is fun this year with Liverpool finally on top and Villa strong as well. Interesting to see, too, that the Spurs are struggling badly after somer fluke good games under then back then new manager Redknapp. As if it had all been Juande's fault that management decided to sell its two top scorers late in preseason...

PS: That Lautern team's "architect" and key player was Sforza...

I'm not bothered about the not liking United part, we're hated all over. But Keane injuring players on purpose? Once, with Alfe-Inge Haaland, did Keane intentionally set out to hurt someone and that was an act of retribution. Please name another occasion where he hurt a fellow professional "on purpose". Clearly, you never watched Keane play otherwise you'd never have made that ridiculous comment.

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Soccer is therapeudic for my sleep. 

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
"Clearly, you never watched Keane play otherwise you'd never have made that ridiculous comment."

... and I ask myself, have you? Keane even stated as much in his autobiography and I quote: "I'd come to one firm conclusion, which was to stay on the pitch for ninety minutes in every game. In other words, to curb the reckless, intemperate streak in my nature that led to sendings-off and injuries. —Keane on his 'new' style of play". Not to mention when he broke McAteer's nose and was suspended by his own manager!

The Haaland incident was as despisable as it gets on a football pitch. He ended the guy's career on purpose!! Retribution for what? For fouling Haaland from behind years before and injuring himself? Come on...

In football - and especially for central/defensive midfielders - there is a difference between playng hard and playing dirty. Keane used to do the latter until he changed his bad habits towards the end of his player career.

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »

Offline bobz99by

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
I second barca. Became a big soccer fan during their 2005 run in champions league. 

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
"Clearly, you never watched Keane play otherwise you'd never have made that ridiculous comment."

... and I ask myself, have you? Keane even stated as much in his autobiography and I quote: "I'd come to one firm conclusion, which was to stay on the pitch for ninety minutes in every game. In other words, to curb the reckless, intemperate streak in my nature that led to sendings-off and injuries. —Keane on his 'new' style of play". Not to mention when he broke McAteer's nose and was suspended by his own manager!

The Haaland incident was as despisable as it gets on a football pitch. He ended the guy's career on purpose!! Retribution for what? For fouling Haaland from behind years before and injuring himself? Come on...

In football - and especially for central/defensive midfielders - there is a difference between playng hard and playing dirty. Keane used to do the latter until he changed his bad habits towards the end of his player career.

He had a temper, he would get into fights/confrontations with players. Argument after argument, but never did he try to break their legs or severely injure them. He had a typical CM's temperament. I think you're calling him a "dirty" player based on a few lines from his book as opposed to actually watching him play.

And yeah, I've probably watched every game (or at least 95%) Roy Keane played in the Red of United and the Green of Ireland.

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Don`t really like the big clubs, so if it is possible I root for the smaller ones...

In England I like Arsenal the most out of the big four. Just love how they play when they are in form. Remind me of Ajax from a decade ago. This season I am going with Villa, they have some great young prospects and O`neal has done a wonderful job.

In Spain I prefer Barca over Real.

In Germany I root against Bayern. The most arrogant team in the world, don`t despise any team more then them. I like Hoffenheim since I started following them when they promoted to second devision 2 years ago. Their development has been unbelievable! And I am also a Kaiserslautern fan from the year they won Bundesliga as a promotion side. Loved Olaf Marshall on that team!