Author Topic: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?  (Read 15846 times)

Re: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Recently I've been getting back into lifting weights. It's been a couple weeks now that I've been going at it. Four or five years ago, I lifted pretty hard, probably for eight months or a year. Then I just stopped (got tired of it I guess).

Anyway, I like to do a lot of full body work outs: Power cleans, squats, and deadlifts. Then I also do the usual bench press, incline bench press, a variety of arm exercises, a couple back exercises, and some abdominal exercises.

But recently I've been getting some pain in my chest, but not muscle soreness. It's more of an internal pain. I've been to my doctor before I've started lifting, and I'm perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing before? I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm definitely going to cut back on the amount of days I lift.

Also, please feel free to talk about anything that concerns weight lifting: exercises you like, exercises that can be done without going to a gym, exercises you find to be effective, etc. Also, feel free to talk about your routine, how you find your motivation, etc.

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about lifting weights, as I'm sort of just getting back into the game, and none of my current friends lift weights.

Torn cartilage may be the culprit, as could a stress fracture around your sternum, ribs, or clavicle. But it also may be overtraining. If you took that much time off and started working out 3-4 days a week or more, especially trying to do what you did before, maybe with just less weight, you may be overtraining. Try going to the gym every 3rd day and don't look at your work schedule as a weekly regime, but as a cycle of 4-6 weeks. Besides, the more you miss on a tight schedule, the more apt you are to quit. When people fail to achieve what appears to be simple goals, they tend to give up--look at a wider body of work.

My suggestion is to focus on the 7 major compound lifts, and do them every work out: traditional deadlift, squat, military press, bench, dip, row, and pull up/chins. Don't even bother with isolating biceps and delts--these movements are proven to activate more muscle groups simultaneously than any other exercises. For instance, if you do bent over barbell rows with your palms facing up and do them with proper form, it works your lats, your posterior chain, traps and also biceps. Same with chin ups if you hold for a 2 count at the top of the movement--it works your bi's to hold you up. Biceps only account for 2% of your muscle mass, so why spend a lot of time on them? Lifting heavy weights and lesser weight with proper form will make your bi's grow.

If your chest still hurts from benching, try a wider grip which will activate your front delts more, or simply start doing perfect form push ups, which can be affective as benching with weights.

Warm up properly (not just jogging on the treadmill or on the bike), by doing dynamic warmups--light weight, short intervals that make you sweat, get your heart rate up, and prepare your muscle for what you are about to do.

Need help putting a workout together? I'll be glad to offer some suggestions.

Good luck, and listen to your body! Don't try to push through it--you know the difference between muscle soreness/fatigue and pain.

I just got done doing deadlifts and squats. I did light weight. But, especially on the deadlifts, I feel a dull ache in my lower back when I'm done with the exercise. I try to keep my back straight, and I'm not straining myself with weight that's beyond my strength level. Is it normal for your lower back to ache after doing deadlifts? And for how long does it usually last? My back usually doesn't return to normal for probably 4-5 days after completing the exercise. My lower back tends to ache without working out sometimes, but I just don't want to injure myself. I used to workout, but deadlifts are still new territory for me (I never did them previously). Thanks for your help!
Sounds like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Some people call it muscle fever and it can peak for a few days before gradually subsiding. I read through the other posts and I agree with most of the responses--check out some trainging videos on youtube, and ask a trainer at the gym to check your form. I am not a powerlifter, but I do routinely deadlift fairly heavy weight (365 for sets) on my heavy days. It takes a couple days for my back, glutes and hamstrings to recover, as well as my traps (for having to hold that weight). There's been a couple times that I've had some soreness for longer than usual, and it's usually because my form slipped. The deadlift form is similar to a golf swing--there's several checkpoints to go through during and while our performing a lift that eventually becomes second nature. The times I "tweaked" my back were usually do to the following reasons: I broke the vertical plane, or I didn't drop my butt/hips low enough.

What I mean by the vertical plane is, when you deadlift, the bar should go in pretty much a straight line that's perpendicular to the floor.  That plane shouldn't change, your body conforms to keep the weights along it. Watch a video and you'll see the person's legs at a 45 degree, arms locked and straight, shoulders over the bar with the bar directly over the middle of his feet. As you initiate the lift, you bend your legs a bit which makes your shins touch the bar, drop your hips and pull with your legs, driving your heels into the floor as your knees straighten. All the while your back is in a natural arc, your shoulders back--at this part the weight is at your knees, your upperbody is at a 45, and now you need to thrust your hips forward while squeezing your glutes to get in the final "lock out"position (don't lean your upper body backwards, that is a bad mistake people make that can herniate a disc). Then you follow the same path down to the starting position.
What I do wrong from time to time is line up a bit too far behind the bar (sometimes I lean back b in preparation for the lift, bringing my shoulder back towards, or even worse, behind the bar before the lift), and that puts all the pressure on my back to lift the weight, instead of my legs/hips.

Here and there, when I'm tired I lose focus and don't drop my butt down enough to keep my lower back straight. (rounding of the back doesn't only happen in the middle of your back, it can happen right around the top of our pelvis). That also puts unwanted emphasis on your lower back and can lead to injury.

Also, if you are tall or have shorter arms, your natural position might force your back to be rounding. You can try doing deadlifts in a squat rack with the safety bars set up at the mid-shin level or just below the knees. This will help you to start at a position with your back straight, and will shorten the motion which may help you adjust your form.

Whenever in doubt--stop. Don't let an inanimate object destroy your back--ask a trainer. Hope this helps.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

creatine has lots of studies backing it as a safe supplement to use regularly. Creatine is a molecule that is stored in our muscles that converts to energy (2% of our energy comes from this daily). It is said to give you strength & energy boosts and aids in muscle recovery in conjunction with amino acids like glutamine. There's a ton of info all over the web, and athletes in pretty much all sports use it in one form or another. It's not steroid, or illegal and isn't going to turn you into a meat joke. Whey Protein is a great staple in any active person's supplementation--we expend a ton of energy, need to replace it, but we also need to repair our muscles. The body seeks protein for both of these needs, and it will take the best possible fuel you provide. Whey protein is great because it is the fastest absorbing protein out there which is important--if you don't replace your energy stores immediately after a workout, your body can enter a catabolic state, where it actually breaks down your muscle tissue to use as energy. Not only is it tearing down all that muscle you just tried to build, it now has nothing left to repair it with! That's why proper protein supplementation is very important. All the hard work you put into a workout to get stronger is lost if you don't have the proper nutrition.

Long story short, if I had to advise on supplements to start with, I would say first, a top notch multi-vitamin. Second, a whey protein. Third, creatine.

And if you want a performance enhancing supplement to give you energy, focus, a strength boost and endurance, go with a pre-workout supp like Jack3d, N.O. Xplode, Superpump 250...These are like Red Bull for athletes...

Very helpful.

I'll disagree with that order.

To me the top one on the list would be a whey protein. There are two crucial points whey protein needs to be taken. First, is immediately in the morning. The reason is because your body is in a catabolic state, since it's basically been starved throughout the night, and you need a quick absorbing protein immediately. Second, is post workout when your body needs a quick absorbing protein for recovery. There are a lot of vitamins found in foods and protein supplements, and obviously they are essential if you're dieting hard, but in terms of pure muscle growth then protein is #1.

Another protein that can be taken is casein, but this is a slow absorbing protein. I've used it regularly right before I go to bed.

Also very important is your BCAA's, especially post workout, and some sort of fish oil. The fish oil is important when you're on a strict diet and your fat intake is limited. Your body needs fat, so my providing it with good fat it prevents your body from holding on to the fat you have.

I agree with everything you say, including your supplement order. I take other supps as well, and fish oils in particular are helpful for a couple other reasons--they help to encourage fat burning, they lubricate your joints and contribute to your good cholesterol. I take whey every morning, before & after a work out, and at bedtime. However, I am trying to recover from very strenuous workouts and for muscle/strength gains. Although I think whey is important for everyone, I could live without it if I had to. I can get all the protein I need without supplementation, although it wouldn't be as convenient or as fast absorbing as a whey isolate. It would be vary difficult to get all the essential vitamins and minerals through food alone without supplementation.

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

I just got done doing deadlifts and squats. I did light weight. But, especially on the deadlifts, I feel a dull ache in my lower back when I'm done with the exercise. I try to keep my back straight, and I'm not straining myself with weight that's beyond my strength level. Is it normal for your lower back to ache after doing deadlifts? And for how long does it usually last? My back usually doesn't return to normal for probably 4-5 days after completing the exercise. My lower back tends to ache without working out sometimes, but I just don't want to injure myself. I used to workout, but deadlifts are still new territory for me (I never did them previously). Thanks for your help!

You might benefit from getting a form check from someone experienced or a trainer.

For deadlifts (and squats) monitoring your own form can be very tough - most of the important stuff is happening behind you, so mirrors are useless.

And while a little soreness/tightness is to be expected, low back pain is not something to be trifled with. Err on the side of caution. I'm sure that the stronglifts link above is good.

My personal experience with this issue (though more associated with squats) was that it went away when I improved my pre-workout warmup, and added some dynamic stretching on my off days.
Good advice. On deadlift days I warm up by doing 3 circuits of reverse lunges with a medicine ball, ab roll outs, and light straight leg deadlifts with dumbbells. This helps to prepare my posterior chain for all the weight I'm about to throw around, and the dumbbell deadlifts in particular help to stretch my hamstrings, lower back, and glutes and really warm them up. Also, I have a foam body roller at home that I use after my workout and during off days. It really helps, and I just do it while I watch the C's lose.

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
Multivitamins:

I use GNC Men's Mega Sport, which I think they also sell at drugstores like CVS and Rite Aid, Walgreens. They also offer one for 50+ that is beneficial for prostate health, among others.

Another good I've used in the past, but I have to order it online because GNC is almost always out of it is Opti-Men by Optimum Nutrition.

One observation--there are many EXPENSIVE options out there that offer "Vita-paks", which is anywhere form 7-12 pills you need to take a day. I tried one once, it was too expensive and I hate taking that many pills. They didn't make me feel any different than what I take now.

Also, I heard the One-a-day vitamins are crap because they don't absorb very well, but the Nature's Way brand is pretty good and you can get them at target and whole foods.

All those pills can do an number on your stomach lining too.  I had some damage from them and had to stop.  Didn't notice any difference in performance with or without them anyway.
Yeah, I think the vita-paks are a rip off, and I would routinely get nauseated and actually threw up a few times. That's when I stopped. I too did not notice a difference between those paks and a good, simple multi.

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
This is a serious question that I'm sure people will find peculiar. I've noticed that the left side of my chest is larger than my right. This isn't something that developed from bad weight lifting form. Some of my family has this same lack of uniformity on the chest, so I'm pretty sure it's genetic. But I was wondering if there is any way I could correct it doing isolation exercises? Maybe a dumbbell exercise only for the right side of my chest? Would something like this work? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
If it's genetic--you may be stuck with it. There's two things I learned about muscle that surprised me: one is that you can't change the shape of a muscle, only the size. In other words, you can't isolate a muscle like a bicep and do "shaping" exercises to give it a high peak. You are genetically inclined at birth to have a high peak or not. The best you can do is make it and surrounding muscles bigger and give the illusion of one. The other thing I learned is that working one side of your body will stimulate growth on the other. If you injure your right arm and only lift with the left, the right arm will receive stimulus from your nervous system and will help to strengthen it. That's not to say you could lift with just one arm all the time and have dual pythons. Also, attempting to create evenly sized pecs will give you a probable huge strength imbalance which will snowball around all the muscles that assist you in that lift. So if you did dumbbell bench presses with one arm, that same side of your body would also have a bigger tricep, front deltoid and maybe even a more developed latissimus dorsi. Ultimately, when you do other exercises without isolation, say an overhead press with a barbell, your one side will be stronger than the other and you'll probably be at risk for serious injury.

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Does anyone know if PowerBar is approved by the FDA? I've been searching the net for this, and I have found nothing. I even went to the store to buy one, but I saw nothing on the wrapper about being FDA approved, yet none of the other food in my house says "FDA approved" either.

I know supplements aren't FDA approved. But I was thinking PowerBar would be because it really is a food. Anyone have any idea on this?

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
So I've been taking this new supp called Amino Energy--and its amazing! I mention it because I know tons of people who take 5 hour energy, and from 4.99-5.99 a pop, you can get this product for cheaper (19.95 for 40 servings?). It has many dosage levels but if you do a basic 1-2 scoop serving, it tastes delicious (go with orange flavor), has the same amount of caffeine as a 12oz coffee, is loaded with B vitamins, beta alanine and some amino acids--it makes you awake, alert, not jittery and gives you a great burst of energy in a matter of minutes. For someone who takes whey protein, if you got to bodybuilding.com, buy some of my favorite whey protein (Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex, or HydroBuilder) and you'll get a free, full sized sample of it shipped with your order.