Author Topic: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?  (Read 15890 times)

Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Recently I've been getting back into lifting weights. It's been a couple weeks now that I've been going at it. Four or five years ago, I lifted pretty hard, probably for eight months or a year. Then I just stopped (got tired of it I guess).

Anyway, I like to do a lot of full body work outs: Power cleans, squats, and deadlifts. Then I also do the usual bench press, incline bench press, a variety of arm exercises, a couple back exercises, and some abdominal exercises.

But recently I've been getting some pain in my chest, but not muscle soreness. It's more of an internal pain. I've been to my doctor before I've started lifting, and I'm perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing before? I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm definitely going to cut back on the amount of days I lift.

Also, please feel free to talk about anything that concerns weight lifting: exercises you like, exercises that can be done without going to a gym, exercises you find to be effective, etc. Also, feel free to talk about your routine, how you find your motivation, etc.

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about lifting weights, as I'm sort of just getting back into the game, and none of my current friends lift weights.

Re: Anyone on Celticsblog lift weights?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Is the pain in between your ribs?  If so be very, very cautious.  I tore some cartilage between my ribs several years ago because of shoddy bench press form and it pretty much kept me from working out for a full year.  Do you bounce the bar off your chest when you bench?

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:49:44 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Sorry...couldn't resist.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Is the pain in between your ribs?  If so be very, very cautious.  I tore some cartilage between my ribs several years ago because of shoddy bench press form and it pretty much kept me from working out for a full year.  Do you bounce the bar off your chest when you bench?

The pain isn't anywhere specific, but I feel it from my collar bone area all the way down my chest. I only feel it when I lift, however. If I were doing a high aerobic activity, like playing basketball, I don't think I would feel any pain at all.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question...but I haven't been bouncing the bar off my chest.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:08:16 PM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
LOL at bouncing the bar off your chest that would be really bad :o
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LOL at bouncing the bar off your chest that would be really bad :o

Don't laugh, I did it when I was starting out and cared more about the # on the bar than my form.  I still see people doing it today too.

Some general tips:

Form over weight
: the actual weight you're putting up might impress the guys in the gym, but to get good results and avoid injury good form is much more important.  If you find yourself jerking or yanking the weight around, drop your weight down.  Controlled, precise reps are key - a good rule of thumb is 2 seconds lift, 1 second pause, 2 seconds lower back to start. 

Don't neglect legs
: even if you don't care what shape they're in, sympathetic growth means that developing your legs means everything else develops faster too.  Do a strong leg workout at least once a week.

Switch exercises and reps regularly: every 6-8 weeks you should significantly change your exercises and the length of your sets, to keep the body from plateauing.

Don't try to gain weight
:  Deliberate weight gain is a fool's game - it's very hard to do it "correctly", and the benefits of doing it "correctly" are dubious at best. 

Cardio:  Cardio will help cut you up and let the definition you're building show through.  Look into high-intensity interval training as it's much more efficient for fat loss.

And the #1 tip is stick with it.  Good luck!

EDIT:  Oh yeah, and do specialized workouts instead of full body each time. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:38:03 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Recently I've been getting back into lifting weights. It's been a couple weeks now that I've been going at it. Four or five years ago, I lifted pretty hard, probably for eight months or a year. Then I just stopped (got tired of it I guess).

Anyway, I like to do a lot of full body work outs: Power cleans, squats, and deadlifts. Then I also do the usual bench press, incline bench press, a variety of arm exercises, a couple back exercises, and some abdominal exercises.

But recently I've been getting some pain in my chest, but not muscle soreness. It's more of an internal pain. I've been to my doctor before I've started lifting, and I'm perfectly healthy.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing before? I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'm definitely going to cut back on the amount of days I lift.

Also, please feel free to talk about anything that concerns weight lifting: exercises you like, exercises that can be done without going to a gym, exercises you find to be effective, etc. Also, feel free to talk about your routine, how you find your motivation, etc.

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about lifting weights, as I'm sort of just getting back into the game, and none of my current friends lift weights.

Torn cartilage may be the culprit, as could a stress fracture around your sternum, ribs, or clavicle. But it also may be overtraining. If you took that much time off and started working out 3-4 days a week or more, especially trying to do what you did before, maybe with just less weight, you may be overtraining. Try going to the gym every 3rd day and don't look at your work schedule as a weekly regime, but as a cycle of 4-6 weeks. Besides, the more you miss on a tight schedule, the more apt you are to quit. When people fail to achieve what appears to be simple goals, they tend to give up--look at a wider body of work.

My suggestion is to focus on the 7 major compound lifts, and do them every work out: traditional deadlift, squat, military press, bench, dip, row, and pull up/chins. Don't even bother with isolating biceps and delts--these movements are proven to activate more muscle groups simultaneously than any other exercises. For instance, if you do bent over barbell rows with your palms facing up and do them with proper form, it works your lats, your posterior chain, traps and also biceps. Same with chin ups if you hold for a 2 count at the top of the movement--it works your bi's to hold you up. Biceps only account for 2% of your muscle mass, so why spend a lot of time on them? Lifting heavy weights and lesser weight with proper form will make your bi's grow.

If your chest still hurts from benching, try a wider grip which will activate your front delts more, or simply start doing perfect form push ups, which can be affective as benching with weights.

Warm up properly (not just jogging on the treadmill or on the bike), by doing dynamic warmups--light weight, short intervals that make you sweat, get your heart rate up, and prepare your muscle for what you are about to do.

Need help putting a workout together? I'll be glad to offer some suggestions.

Good luck, and listen to your body! Don't try to push through it--you know the difference between muscle soreness/fatigue and pain.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
Thank you birdwatcher and fairweatherfan. Great advice from both of you.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

Offline dinguspie

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I recommend P90x.  I used to lift weights pretty seriously but didn't really see great results.  Then my wife and I started doing P90x together and my body totally changed.  I've been doing it for 3 years or so.  I'll never go to a gym again!

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24

I had a similar problem a few years back. My issue was that I had tissue growing in my sternum.  I had to wait for the tissue to harden before I could resume doing chest workouts. Unfortunately, it took about 15-18 months to harden.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

My suggestion is to focus on the 7 major compound lifts, and do them every work out: traditional deadlift, squat, military press, bench, dip, row, and pull up/chins.

That is a pretty hefty workout for someone who's basically starting from square one. The popular "Starting Strength" routine consists of only three compound exercises per workout, for example:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

I can say from personal experience that this is plenty of work for a beginner, and will generate rapid strength gains for quite a while.

If you're also interested in pursuing other goals (like reducing body fat, or increasing endurance), you can modify the basic routine, of course, but my view is that getting strong is goal number one. Then you can pursue more specialized training.

As far as the injury goes, the wisdom seems to be very simple: listen to your body. Given what you've been doing, it sounds like overtraining could be an issue.

One useful benchmark for assessing how seriously you're hurt is to go through a workout with minimal weight (just a 45 pound barbell), but full range of motion. If you can do the exercises without pain, and if doing them actually makes you feel better, then you can use light weight workouts to speed your recovery, because the movement will increase blood flow to the injured area. You can then gradually increase weight, slowly, as you heal.

If the low-weight range of motion gives you pain, STOP. Shut it down and go see a doctor or physical therapist immediately.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I am not a weight lifter, but I am interested in sustaining my health and keeping relaitvely fit.  About 4 years ago (at 48) I started exercising more regularly and I do a short routine about 3-4 times a week (plus basketball once a week).   

My issue is my shoulders.  Every time I start to move a little bit ahead in terms of weight on chest exercises, my shoulders end up in pain (hurts to lie on my side; hurts to lift my arms high -- I get a painful joint crack when I do).  I have given up on bench press and push-ups completely as those both kill my shoulders.  I am assuming that I need to get an MRI at some point and let an orthopedist go at whatever the problem is. But... just thought I'd throw it out there for any advice as you all seem to know what you are doing -- and I definitely don't.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

My suggestion is to focus on the 7 major compound lifts, and do them every work out: traditional deadlift, squat, military press, bench, dip, row, and pull up/chins.

That is a pretty hefty workout for someone who's basically starting from square one. The popular "Starting Strength" routine consists of only three compound exercises per workout, for example:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

It may seem like a lot, but it's not. 21 sets = 45 minute workout. But as everybody's body is different, you could break up the majors in 2 groups, bringing it down to a 30 minute work out. The two days rest between each workout is just as important. Lots of guys go 5 days a week doing splits and wonder why they don't make any gains, plateau quickly and/or get injured.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i do very light weight training and prefer to do resistance training instead, along with a lot of cardio.  i do martial arts 4/5 times a week, lots of pushups and situps, running, hitting heavy bag, and light lifting (curls and bench only).  im lean and very cut.  my strength, flexibility, and endurance are all excellent.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I am not a weight lifter, but I am interested in sustaining my health and keeping relaitvely fit.  About 4 years ago (at 48) I started exercising more regularly and I do a short routine about 3-4 times a week (plus basketball once a week).   

My issue is my shoulders.  Every time I start to move a little bit ahead in terms of weight on chest exercises, my shoulders end up in pain (hurts to lie on my side; hurts to lift my arms high -- I get a painful joint crack when I do).  I have given up on bench press and push-ups completely as those both kill my shoulders.  I am assuming that I need to get an MRI at some point and let an orthopedist go at whatever the problem is. But... just thought I'd throw it out there for any advice as you all seem to know what you are doing -- and I definitely don't.

If by "chest" you mean bench press, you might be better off with a standing overhead press. Those are much easier on your shoulders, and they have the benefit of working both front and rear delts as well as giving your core a boost.

If you don't want to abandon the bench entirely, you can just alternate bench and overhead press.

Dumbbell presses (standing or bench) also tend to be easier on your shoulders, mostly because your max weight with those is a lot lower. But you get an extra workout just moving the things on and off the rack!