Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 243515 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1815 on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Vs. Cleveland... 10 pts on 4/9 shooting, 2 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 2 blks in 18 minutes.
Is this supposed to tell a story of Williams playing well? Because I saw the game and thought Williams often looked lost out there and was decidedly unimpressive versus the likes of a sorry looking bunch of players that may have trouble making it in the G League.

« Reply #1816 on: July 09, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Vs. Cleveland... 10 pts on 4/9 shooting, 2 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 2 blks in 18 minutes.
Is this supposed to tell a story of Williams playing well? Because I saw the game and thought Williams often looked lost out there and was decidedly unimpressive versus the likes of a sorry looking bunch of players that may have trouble making it in the G League.
I had a similar takeaway from the game.  Timelord needs a lot of work.  He's ok when defending his man or is sizing up another play to help with a block but his overall team D, help D and rebounding needs work. 

There should be no expectations (nor demands) for a lot of playing time for him without some major improvements to his game.  he still looks promising -- provided the expectations for him are that he can become a legit backup center.

« Reply #1817 on: July 09, 2019, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I’m not sure why Williams gets overhyped so much. He’s 21 and in his second year in the league. For comparison, this is 19-year-old Jaxson Hayes dominating in his first ever game. That’s the stuff Williams should be doing versus this level of competition.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7vpeqBFztXY

« Reply #1818 on: July 09, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
He’s making progress and I’m pretty happy about that. Anyway it’s a hype thread and Williams has been doing some things that excites people.

Robert put on a clinic
« Reply #1819 on: July 12, 2019, 04:53:18 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
A study came out that reaffirms my theory of ball players outperforming their bodies.And the amount of players injured before they even get to college.
-the list of injuries in first year of NBA as rookies , Embid, Nerlens Noel Okafor Simmons,Exum, A Gordon,Randle,Parker ,and Smart

Robert Williams has been brought along starting with a lifestyle coach and his early season issues were proactively dealt with he was kept out of Summer League then moved into a residence a 5 minute walk from the practice facility.
Jaylen brought his mom, then a baby and they live in same building .
Jaylen brought a friend.
Williams spent the season absorbing NBA lifestyle and watching Horford. He rarely went to Maine in my not view risking injury.

.Before summer league Williams was working on conditioning and endurance .Williams is getting up the court better and he has seemed quicker-it wasn't his monster dunks that stood out to me but his passing skill that was so crisp and showcased his court awareness.Of course it is Summer League but passing translates
The Celts process with Williams has been an example that should be followed league wide.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:33:03 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Robert put on a clinic
« Reply #1820 on: July 12, 2019, 06:42:58 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He definitely has a talent for passing or at least he's a willing passer.  How much he succeeds will be a result of how well he can understand the game on the court.  He clearly doesn't see the court or game well.  I don't know how you get better at that.  Obviously through repetition and experience, but that might not be enough.  Perhaps watching game film with a coach.  Fortunately, he has a personal coach that works with him daily.  His physical gifts are awesome.  It's the cerebral part that he needs to learn. 

« Reply #1821 on: July 12, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I think the Auerbach Center will benefit our young guys with all its advantages.
Having a chef  and eating properly,training with trainers and coaches and taking care of their bodies.
Our young guys have benefits of progressive coaching staff
 -Wait for the LEGENDS to start rolling in (their ranks are thinning).Just practicing under those banners and retired jerseys.
Having a collection of young vets Marcus,Jaylen,Jason and Semmi and the steady influence of Hayward and Kemba.
The ability to bring in the likes of Drew Hanlon to help with skill training and shooting.

Summer League is just the beginning of off season.These next few months can show rapid growth from weight room to shooting  and ball handling.

It feels like Brad is getting his team back with players that will respond to his style

« Reply #1822 on: July 12, 2019, 07:21:04 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
He definitely has a talent for passing or at least he's a willing passer.  How much he succeeds will be a result of how well he can understand the game on the court.  He clearly doesn't see the court or game well.  I don't know how you get better at that.  Obviously through repetition and experience, but that might not be enough.  Perhaps watching game film with a coach.  Fortunately, he has a personal coach that works with him daily.  His physical gifts are awesome.  It's the cerebral part that he needs to learn.
TP
I think Robert has got a bad rap-To be a young big on a playoff team is quite daunting.YOU hit the nail on the head repetition and experience as well as game film.
Being a rim protector ,being able defend perimeter ,be weakside help,being able to switch on pick and rolls.No wonder he got lost and confused Al Horford had a decade of learning and familiarity with his teammates and his opponents.Then there are all the tricks you pick up  and the REFS what the call and don't call.

Coming into the rookie year facing NBA speed and strength at center position in this era of switching  or defending perimeter is a Herculean task.That is just on defense.
Then on offense setting screens,timing with your teammates and all their nuances and spots on the floor.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:35:55 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1823 on: July 12, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Great to see this but lets wait to see what he does against the actually pros
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1824 on: July 12, 2019, 11:27:37 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
Great to see this but lets wait to see what he does against the actually pros
Um, the guys in the Summer League are pros....

« Reply #1825 on: July 12, 2019, 11:59:36 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i think you missed his point.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1826 on: July 12, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
TIMELORDS passing looked good last year in limited minutes. I mentioned it serval times in game threads. He has basketball skills. His shooting is the one that needs the most work.

« Reply #1827 on: July 12, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've seen too many guys on this team sitting on the perimeter missing 3s with nobody near the basket. And then the other team come down the court for an easy basket--often a layup. It's happened in Summer league games, too.

Robert Williams and Tacko Fall are a breath of fresh air for this team. They provide some balance to the Celtics game. An inside presence that has cost them against good teams. The Celtics have never won a Championship without a strong inside presence. It helps to explain why they haven't won anything in 10 years, since the days of KG. And even in those days, they lost something when they lost Perk.

Both those big guys had big games against Memphis. Tacko seems to be gaining confidence and mobility. You put those two guys near the boards, and you can shoot all the 3s you want. They'll be ready for those easy put backs.

« Reply #1828 on: July 12, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
He had a good all around game after a hot start. Hopefully that fuels his confidence to give consistent effort.

At least it should quell some of the “We whiffed on Robinson or Kagenbele” posts for a little while.

« Reply #1829 on: July 12, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TIMELORDS passing looked good last year in limited minutes. I mentioned it serval times in game threads. He has basketball skills. His shooting is the one that needs the most work.

I think with his elite passing skills, as long as he attacks the boards, we don't need to worry about his shooting. I don't expect he will ever become a good outside shooter, and that's okay.