Author Topic: What can trading Rozier can get us? (Wants $20 million per season)  (Read 16414 times)

Re: What can trading Rozier can get us?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What can trading Rozier get us?

Seller's Remorse

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Poeltl for Rozier would be an interesting trade for both teams.
Do you think Poeltl would have a long term spot here alongside Williams?
Absolutely.  They bring different things.  Poeltl is an offensive player while Williams is a defensive player.  I don't know that they could play together, but I think they could form a pretty nice rotation at center depending on match-up, situation, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Rozier is worth way more than Poeltl. Not a Poeltl fan.
Rozier is a better player, but I don't think he is getting much more than someone like Poeltl or a mid-1st round pick.  I don't think a lot of teams really think Rozier can be a championship level starter, he is expiring and due for a big raise, it is unlikely that Boston keeps him, etc. all of which drive his trade value down.  That said, if you can trade a 3rd string PG for a likely 2nd string center, I think it is a trade Boston would consider, especially given the financial implications of Rozier next summer (where you get an extra year of Poeltl at his rookie scale dollars). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I could be wrong, but i see this as the best situation for Terry. Personally, I think he's an excellent bench guy. Maybe even 6th man of the year good. But that's it. He's got a lot of energy, handles the ball pretty well, and can shot a bit.
Guess I'm missing something, but I just don't see him as a starting point guard an a championship team. To me he's more of a Lou Williams kind of guy.
I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Up until last year'year's playoffs, I was a big proponent of Rozier being a great bench guy (but not starting quality). My comparison has always been Leandro Barbosa (minus the 6MOTY award)

After the last playoffs, though, I think he can have a solid (if unspectacular) career as a starter. He can't be a top 2 or 3 player on a championship squad, but I think he can definitely be a good starter on one (or a 6MOTY candidate on a contender)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 11:40:35 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Rozier + minor asset(s) for Mikal Bridges

The Suns need a starting PG. They might be interested in Rozier.

We need a backup shooter to put next to Smart. Bridges fits the bill.

Not convinced we need a pure scorer next to Smart. It's only logical to assume that at least one of our starters will always be on the floor to lead the second unit. Not to mention, we have Morris as well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:51:08 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Rozier is a better player, but I don't think he is getting much more than someone like Poeltl or a mid-1st round pick.  I don't think a lot of teams really think Rozier can be a championship level starter, he is expiring and due for a big raise, it is unlikely that Boston keeps him, etc. all of which drive his trade value down.  That said, if you can trade a 3rd string PG for a likely 2nd string center, I think it is a trade Boston would consider, especially given the financial implications of Rozier next summer (where you get an extra year of Poeltl at his rookie scale dollars).

The minutes allocation with Smart and Rozier will affect this conversation quite a bit. Its just preseason, but Rozier looks like someone who is continuing to get better, and Smart looks stuck. I don't know how Stevens is going to make this work, but if I had to guess, Marcus Smart is going to lose out, and Rozier will be the one getting more of the minutes. Everyone loves Marcus, but he hasn't had serious competition for minutes until this year. It will be very interesting watching the C's because they are finally going to be forced to choose.

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'd take Rozier for this year and let him walk rather than trade him for Poeltl. Did I mention I'm not a Poeltl fan?

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
New rule on CS:

re-sign equals "sign again"
resign equals "to quit"

I believe that following this simple rule throughout the season will save us from a lot of cardiac arrest.

Mike

I haven't read through this thread yet..so idk what you are referring to but i literally lol'd because i was at the garden event last night, and my gf (from another country but with extremely good English) when i asked her "did you hear the big news"...she responded "but why is Kyrie quitting?"..i said "what?" ...she says..."he said he's resigning"
Love foreign chicks. What country is she from?

Philippines:)
Lucky you! There's a Filipino poker dealer (Roxanne but people call her Roxy) at Foxwoods that is absolutely gorgeous. If it's her you're a very lucky guy lol.

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 02:48:08 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The minutes allocation with Smart and Rozier will affect this conversation quite a bit. Its just preseason, but Rozier looks like someone who is continuing to get better, and Smart looks stuck. I don't know how Stevens is going to make this work, but if I had to guess, Marcus Smart is going to lose out, and Rozier will be the one getting more of the minutes. Everyone loves Marcus, but he hasn't had serious competition for minutes until this year. It will be very interesting watching the C's because they are finally going to be forced to choose.

It’s only preseason so I wouldn’t read too much into it.  With that said Smart missed game 1 and basically game 4.   In games 2 and 3 when both Smart and Rozier played Smart actually had more minutes 44 to Rozier’s 40.  Smart actually outscored Rozier 15 to 6 in game 3 too.

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Rozier is the right backup PG for this team. He plays as hard as anyone we've got.  He is flawe, but we have an all star PG already.

An opposing coach has to scheme for Rozier/Smart off the bench. I honestly think their presence on the bench changes the opposition's rotations.

I ask if any of you guy can rate Rozier as a backup guard in the NBA. This might get a better valuation model for him if they did trade him.

Is Rozier the "best" backup guard in the NBA? Looked good in last year's playoffs

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Some have suggested that he is similar to Barbosa, which may be true.

Barbosa signed (after his rookie deal) a 5.6 million dollar contract 5 year contract with 500k raises each year, which was roughly 10% of the salary cap. Next year, a comparable contract for Rozier would be 11 million a year over 5 years. With the 8% raises, that would be a 5 year/64 million dollar contract.

He might get more than that on the open market. Just thought I throw the comparable numbers if you think he is a comparable player.

Edit: In the off-chance he signs that kind of a contract and Al is the kind of guy I think he is and will opt out to sign a more team-friendly deal, there's an outside chance we could be under the luxury tax next season, even with Kyrie at the max and resigning Rozier.

In that case, maybe we shouldn't trade Rozier.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:13:29 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
This author seems to think Rozier/Smart for Kemba Walker makes sense.

Makes really no sense to me though

https://www.inquisitr.com/5107920/nba-rumors-celtics-could-trade-terry-rozier-and-marcus-smart-for-kemba-walker-fadeaway-world-suggests/

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

https://www.inquisitr.com/5107920/nba-rumors-celtics-could-trade-terry-rozier-and-marcus-smart-for-kemba-walker-fadeaway-world-suggests/

Actually, at the end of the article the author states it's a no brainer for Charlotte and that it makes no sense for the Celtics considering Kyrie is in Boston.  A very odd end to a trade proposal article. 

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Actually, at the end of the article the author states it's a no brainer for Charlotte and that it makes no sense for the Celtics considering Kyrie is in Boston.  A very odd end to a trade proposal article.

TP I didnt make it that far since the trade logic seemed so dumb to me.

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A quick exit in the playoffs is what trading Rozier would get us.   There is a huge dropoff at guards after Smart, Irving and Brown and Terry.  Of Smart and Rozier both can be impactful but Terry is the more reliable scorer and shooter.

I think what I have seen of Wanamaker and Lemon, that we would be in deep doggy doo if they had to play extended minutes against nba rotation players.