Author Topic: nader is no james young-  (Read 10273 times)

Re: nader is no james young-
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nader has " NO FEAR ". ..... he might make mistakes , but not because he is timid , shy , James Young was like a deer in the headligts most of the time I saw him.  He melted under pressure.

Nader , Theis , Tatum and Larkin made a nice unit .....  Toss in Smart or Brown and that group can ball.

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
It's fun to speculate on what the Celtics coaching staff have "told" Nader.

"Push to score on every play."
"[dang] the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Last night, in some ways, was a replay of his G league last year. He's got the ball at the top of the key. He's up against the second string Hornet's point guard, realizes the match up and drives to the rim. That's what he does because that is what they want him to do. He's big, fast and aggressive...good combination.

"Put Nader in so he can score." If that is the kid's gig? Let him. Not going to be starting any time soon.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
yabusele had 6 rebounds 2 offensive in his first rookie game ,nader 12 points 4 rebounds,theis 7 rebounds 12 points-semi hit a three and had two boards-
You have been criticizing my complimentary nature and i watch everything i can
,And Green kept us from losing the chicago series-the hope of green and isaiah creating was backed by fact of their results together with the suns but didn't happen-TALK POSITIVE THINK NEGATIVE might do you some good

I'm actually very optimistic for the season. In fact, I think we'll be in the Finals this year. I'm just realistic when it comes to overrating fringe players. Too many Conner Henry flash in the pan types come and go.

Theis - I like a lot. He's an upgrade over Jerebko (another one of your favorites) and can provide some rim running/energy this season.

Yabu - He has a good motor, but he's raw. And when I say "raw" I'm being kind to not say he flat out sucks. He has potential, but I'm very concerned about his lack of lift. Especially when going up against length.

Nader - Again, he's sort of a black hole. When he gets the ball he's usually going to shoot it. You can tell he's always had the ball in his hands and isn't used to moving the ball. His lateral quickness defensively is lacking. He won't be in the rotation and his minutes will be sporadic.

Ojeleye - Perhaps the NBA's Mike Mamula. A combine king who's numbers don't reflect on the court. Lacks motor. Limited ball-handling skills. If you want to think he's the next Crowder, then so be it.

Larkin - The season overseas did him well. Probably our team's only pure PG. Very effective in running PNR and controlling tempo.

BTW, it's kind of funny that you continually to chalk up Green as a win. He shot 40% from the field, played in only 47 games, and averaged just 11 MPG. He had a decent series against Chicago and hit a few wide open shots, but overall he sucked. The proof is in the pudding and not only did Ainge and co. not want him back, but he garnered limited interest in free agency and might not make the Bucks roster.

Great analysis, can't disagree with much of it.

I need to see Brown get more aggressive offensively.

I never worry about Rozier, he's my guy.

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Before everyone gets crazy high on expectations for our rookies, we should remember the stats they posted were in preseason against 2nd and 3rd team members of the Hornets.

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Before everyone gets crazy high on expectations for our rookies, we should remember the stats they posted were in preseason against 2nd and 3rd team members of the Hornets.

Even though they were playing against 2nd and 3rd string players....they looked very good...a lot better than many of us anticipated. There should be some carry-over into the regular season.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I actually feel Nader outplayed Young LAST SEASON.  But due to possible potential and a contract Young was kept.  I don't see him being in the nba.
As far as rotation guys from game one preseason.  Loving theis, Larkin looks solid, a very good 3rd string pg, yabu and oli look d league.  Game simply looked too fast for them, granted one preseason game.
I was most impressed with theis and baynes last night.  Also once Tatum calmed down he showed pierce/bird (yep i said it) confidence on offense.  Looks like that part of game will come easy to him.

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Last night, in some ways, was a replay of his G league last year. He's got the ball at the top of the key. He's up against the second string Hornet's point guard, realizes the match up and drives to the rim. That's what he does because that is what they want him to do. He's big, fast and aggressive...good combination.

"Put Nader in so he can score." If that is the kid's gig? Let him. Not going to be starting any time soon.

That is, make the right basketball play.  High BBIQ.

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

That is, make the right basketball play.  High BBIQ.

Can't really credit BBIQ for a perimeter player driving right against a smaller opponent 3 or 4 times. He needs a heck of a lot more than that in both skills and smarts.

Practice fodder anyway.

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Theis - I like a lot. He's an upgrade over Jerebko (another one of your favorites) and can provide some rim running/energy this season.

I just don't get the Jerebko comparison. Theis is a big with length, Jerebko is not. There's more to say about them, but that's a yawning chasm.

Yabu - He has a good motor, but he's raw. And when I say "raw" I'm being kind to not say he flat out sucks. He has potential, but I'm very concerned about his lack of lift. Especially when going up against length.

There's some justice in your lift concern, I think. But he did recently have surgery on both feet and an enforced layoff for rehabbing them. Whether he can recover the impressive hops he's had is critical for his career - there's an opening for him to step into as a big.

Nader - Again, he's sort of a black hole. When he gets the ball he's usually going to shoot it... He won't be in the rotation and his minutes will be sporadic.

I bet that you're right about sporadic minutes, but as for being a "black hole", his D-League record says otherwise - assist % of 21.2 shows that he's mixing it up and looking to make a play. Was turnover-prone, too, though; and I thought that was the case in SL, too.

He's got some really enticing skills: moves super-quick with the ball, he's decisive, and he's got a repertoire of flips and floaters with a really supple wrist. Those are great skills for a ball-handler, since he's still a threat if he doesn't get all the way to the rim. Add reliable range shooting and you've got an NBA player.

Will he make the rotation this year? That's a steep climb, and I'd bet against it. You mention weaknesses in his defense - you've got a point, too, but I think that he'll be average or better; he's got a good body, good joints, and those quick feet. Broad shoulders (like Tatum and Brown) are good for D, good for driving into the paint. Quick reaction. He needs lower body work; risk of hamstring cramps and such, I'd guess.

Ojeleye - Perhaps the NBA's Mike Mamula. A combine king who's numbers don't reflect on the court. Lacks motor. Limited ball-handling skills. If you want to think he's the next Crowder, then so be it.

I think that you're mistaken to be so dismissive.

"Combine king" - you have wit, my friend. :laugh:

About the motor - suffice it to say, that's not what I see.

He got significant minutes - what were they looking at? It's worth considering.

On defense, they had him guard up (Kaminsky) and down, and they had him with the group of backups that faced the Charlotte starters in the 3rd, guarding Marvin Williams. That group, by the way, had Yabusele at center (guarding Zeller).

On offense they had him spotting up, doing basic moves. Bottom line - they haven't worked him into the offense. He's probably learning a lot of new stuff right now.

Interestinger and interestinger. Marcus Smart came in for Kyrie. Last year he was virtually always on the floor with either Thomas or Rozier...

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:02:36 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 11:17:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I just don't get the Jerebko comparison. Theis is a big with length, Jerebko is not. There's more to say about them, but that's a yawning chasm.

I agreed with a lot of your comments, but I'm not tracking this one about length. Jerebko is listed at 6'10", Theis is listed at 6'9".

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jerebjo01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/theisda01.html

I haven't been able to find Theis' wingspan/standing reach anywhere. By the eye test, Theis looks to have a long wingspan, but Jerebko wasn't exactly Kelly O. If there's a length difference, it doesn't appear to be huge. Where's your info on this coming from?

Jerebko was a little skinnier - they're listed about 10 pounds apart - and he plays more of a perimeter game. Physically, I see Theis as a jacked version of JJ. As to his game, it looks quite a bit different - more aggressive, possibly better passing and defense, but way too early to tell.

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 11:59:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
As he several times took it too the basket for scores and used his speed and muscle to turn the corner-not bad for the almost last pick and rookie of year d league. He showed no nerves for first game in Boston Garden.Shane Larkin showed why Brad is high on him -.
So not to be confusing for Eddie House-Larkin could do really well ,when Celts need that Isaiah change of pace and style,Hey Eddie!!! Nader didn't look the least out of place for a rookie and did Theis play tough enough for you..
Got to watch hyperbole, Eddie will then say i'm touting them to be all stars.
.Every time Nader scored i was thinking "In Your Face Eddie"-If nothing else Nader can get to rim with his elite length and elite use of either hand and can knock down some threes .

I never said that Theis wasn't tough. I said that I've never seen it, but wouldn't be surprised if he was considering his experience playing professionally. I said the ones I questioned about being tough were the rookies.

I'm not sure if continuing to say "Nader is no James Young" is really a compliment. Besides, did anyone ever say he was? From a basketball perspective I really want him to move the ball more. It seems that every time he touches it, he either shoots it or takes it to the basket even when the play isn't there. While I do enjoy aggressive play, I'd like to see him become a more willing passer. Defensively I'm not impressed with his lateral foot speed and preventing penetration. He gives effort, but his lack of side-to-side quickness will probably always be an issue.

It's funny, but I didn't hear you say a single word about Ojeleye. Why? Didn't you suggest he would eclipse Crowder? Ojeleye's biggest issue seems to be a lack of motor. The guy plays with absolutely no energy. And the hustle stats that I mentioned where last season he only averaged 6.6 RPG in 34.1 MPG and only registered 15 steals and 14 blocks in 1195 minutes of play seems to be pretty indicative of his motor. In 21 minutes last night he had 2 rebounds, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.

My god, finally somebody else who noticed this!!

Everybody else seemed so blinded by the fact that he actually made a couple of shots, that they completely ignored the fact that he was the biggest black hole I've seen in a Celtics uniform since...maybe ever.

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 12:05:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I agreed with a lot of your comments, but I'm not tracking this one about length. Jerebko is listed at 6'10", Theis is listed at 6'9".

I haven't been able to find Theis' wingspan/standing reach anywhere. By the eye test, Theis looks to have a long wingspan, but Jerebko wasn't exactly Kelly O. If there's a length difference, it doesn't appear to be huge. Where's your info on this coming from?

Jerebko was a little skinnier - they're listed about 10 pounds apart - and he plays more of a perimeter game. Physically, I see Theis as a jacked version of JJ. As to his game, it looks quite a bit different - more aggressive, possibly better passing and defense, but way too early to tell.

Young Amir Johnson? That's who he seems to remind me of. 

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
As he several times took it too the basket for scores and used his speed and muscle to turn the corner-not bad for the almost last pick and rookie of year d league. He showed no nerves for first game in Boston Garden.Shane Larkin showed why Brad is high on him -.
So not to be confusing for Eddie House-Larkin could do really well ,when Celts need that Isaiah change of pace and style,Hey Eddie!!! Nader didn't look the least out of place for a rookie and did Theis play tough enough for you..
Got to watch hyperbole, Eddie will then say i'm touting them to be all stars.
.Every time Nader scored i was thinking "In Your Face Eddie"-If nothing else Nader can get to rim with his elite length and elite use of either hand and can knock down some threes .

I never said that Theis wasn't tough. I said that I've never seen it, but wouldn't be surprised if he was considering his experience playing professionally. I said the ones I questioned about being tough were the rookies.

I'm not sure if continuing to say "Nader is no James Young" is really a compliment. Besides, did anyone ever say he was? From a basketball perspective I really want him to move the ball more. It seems that every time he touches it, he either shoots it or takes it to the basket even when the play isn't there. While I do enjoy aggressive play, I'd like to see him become a more willing passer. Defensively I'm not impressed with his lateral foot speed and preventing penetration. He gives effort, but his lack of side-to-side quickness will probably always be an issue.

It's funny, but I didn't hear you say a single word about Ojeleye. Why? Didn't you suggest he would eclipse Crowder? Ojeleye's biggest issue seems to be a lack of motor. The guy plays with absolutely no energy. And the hustle stats that I mentioned where last season he only averaged 6.6 RPG in 34.1 MPG and only registered 15 steals and 14 blocks in 1195 minutes of play seems to be pretty indicative of his motor. In 21 minutes last night he had 2 rebounds, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.

My god, finally somebody else who noticed this!!

Everybody else seemed so blinded by the fact that he actually made a couple of shots, that they completely ignored the fact that he was the biggest black hole I've seen in a Celtics uniform since...maybe ever.

You want him to move the ball-he scored with ease only missing a finger roll that that barely rolled out -the guy can go left as well as right you can't get much more efficient -this 6-6 kid has a 7-1 inch wingspan together with an ambidextrous ability -shot over 40% from three most of a long d league year tailed off after an injury.
Nothing worse than the hyperbole of negativism
-All those layups were clean and unforced and that wingspan helps negate some of his lack of lateral
The development and scoring of 2nd team is a critical part of long regular season and so is building team chemistry.
Semi-where did you get he has bad motor, nowhere did i read that, not even mentioned in draft express weaknesses .Brad loves his versatility and ability to switch on defense.
Matter of fact what credentials do you have to contradict Brad Stevens,
Semi has average length that hurts his steal ratio and rebounding against bigs.

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

No, I don't mean that Theis reminds me of Jerebko. It's more like he will be taking the Jerebko minutes, when you consider Baynes will be taking the Amir ones, while Morris will be taking the Olynyk ones.

I can't really think of a player comparable for him. He's like a hybrid of players. For example height to wingspan ratio he does remind me of Kirilenko, but he's bigger and not as skilled.

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He looks like a poor man's Evan Turner.