Author Topic: Blow it up Danny!.....  (Read 18103 times)

Re: Blow it up Danny!.....
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yes! For the love of God, please yes!

I am so done with the green Lakers.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2019, 06:06:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think Kyrie and Tatum play well on the court.   When Tatum gets hot, guys on the team quit throwing him the ball.

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 06:41:37 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Best-case scenario, we keep Kyrie and trade for Davis without giving up Tatum. 

Unlikely on a number of levels, but I'm holding out hope. 

Should be a compelling offseason regardless.

I think its a real question of whether you would rather keep Tatum or Brown right now. I think brown might be a better fit for a team with AD regardless.
Definitely would rather keep Tatum.  He still has superstar potential.  I still find it unlikely that Brown will ever be an allstar.
There's only one ball in the game. I see Tatum more of a Harrison Barnes than an All Star. He needs to improve his off-ball game and defensive awareness. He cannot be effective with other ball-dominant players such as Kyrie. You need to get rid of Kyrie first if you want to tap his full potential.

Meanwhile, while Jaylen might not be an All-Star anytime soon, he is better fit as a role player on a contending team. His elite athleticism gives him a much higher ceiling than Tatum and already showing potential as an All-NBA defender.

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 07:30:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm not sure why Hayward keeps getting a pass

I am not sure that anyone is giving him a pass but in the context of building/rebuilding, what can we do with him?  If he doesn't return to form, he has no trade value.  Maybe as salary ballast in a big trade but what team is going to want to take him back on that contract?  I am not giving him a pass.  He suffered a gruesome injury and has not returned to form.  Now we are stuck with a lesser player on a big contract.  No one is at fault and really there is no need for any pass to be given to anyone.

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:22 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I've been a Celtic fan since '59. I've seen several teams with lots of talent underachieve. Danny, I believe, has focused too much on talent and not enough on chemistry and personalities. I also believe this obsession with getting AD is a mistake for several reasons. Danny did a good job of accumulating a plethora of draft picks and choosing Brown and Tatum. And this year, if Danny doesn't trade for AD, the team has a chance to acquire a couple of very good players. I am confident that Haywood will fully recover from his horrific injury and regain his confidence. The Celts should try to build around a young core of players (ie. Tatum, Brown, Williams and players they take this year ). Also, I truly believe Stevens is best suited to coaching younger players anyway. He just has to change some of his strategies (ie. stop chucking up so many 3's, get more points in the paint and hold players accountable).

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not really much to blow up ,  its gonna fall apart anyway with Kyrie leaving .   Mountain will crumble .....our building block was weak , a star who was traded ,  not looking to play in Boston. 

Im predicting Smart , Tatum.  Hayward , and maybe Al as the core , everybody else new .   Miami Heat 2.0

Our new level will be Nets , Heat, Hornets , Wiz fighting for 5-8 playoff spots .   No more contender .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:19:22 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2019, 08:13:33 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kyrie is a special talent. But he really burned down everything Stevens has put into place. Team basketball...defense...chemistry.

If Kyrie returns you will see the young guys shipped out for AD or someone...Team cannot exist as constructed.

My guess is Kyrie walks. Boston builds around the young guys. Rozier walks. Boston packages picks to move up or to trade for a vet.

Think Al will be back.

I think next season Hayward runs the offense as a point forward...Tatum, Brown and Al start with him. Boston brings in some vets and shooting.

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

I am not sure that anyone is giving him a pass but in the context of building/rebuilding, what can we do with him?  If he doesn't return to form, he has no trade value.  Maybe as salary ballast in a big trade but what team is going to want to take him back on that contract?  I am not giving him a pass.  He suffered a gruesome injury and has not returned to form.  Now we are stuck with a lesser player on a big contract.  No one is at fault and really there is no need for any pass to be given to anyone.

Right. I'm no mathematician, but I imagine having a max contract on a backup SF may hurt us going forward in terms of acquiring high quality players who actually deserve max contracts. That's where I drew the Chandler Parsons comparison (while acknowledging Hayward still may something left in the tank).

My initial comment about Hayward not returning to form was speaking more to folks who are under the impression that Hayward's on an upswing heading back to his baseline, which I disagree with. Hayward averaged 18 and 5 over the last four games of the season and some were emphatically convinced he was making a return to form. Hayward was not just a player who average 20, 5, and 5 over the course of a few seasons, he was also exactly the type of player we needed in the playoffs - a big body, explosive athlete, who wasn't afraid to draw contact and take it to the rim. Surely, he wasn't LBJ or Durant, but he was cemented in that second tier of forwards who could take over a game in a way that none of our roster demonstrated the capacity to do so outside of Kyrie. And I think Tatum's rookie season softened the blow a bit by providing us a distraction and a place to store our faith and expectations, but Hayward's contract still exists and Tatum's still 21 years old.

I guess, in my mind, I see Hayward as a challenging player and contract for us going forward because he's a little old for a rebuilding piece (29), he's an uncertainty, and he plays a position that we're a little stacked in. I don't understand how he fits going forward.

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Kyrie is a special talent. But he really burned down everything Stevens has put into place. Team basketball...defense...chemistry.

If Kyrie returns you will see the young guys shipped out for AD or someone...Team cannot exist as constructed.

My guess is Kyrie walks. Boston builds around the young guys. Rozier walks. Boston packages picks to move up or to trade for a vet.

Think Al will be back.

I think next season Hayward runs the offense as a point forward...Tatum, Brown and Al start with him. Boston brings in some vets and shooting.
have to admit, I think this team is going to go in one of 2 directions:
1.  resign Kyrie, trade for AD depending on whether he's willing to resign here,  lose Tatum and Smart and probably Williams as part of that deal as well as 4 first rounders, kick Rozier to the curb and probably resign Morris.  Sign Al to a longer, cheaper-per-year deal.
2.  Lose Kyrie as a FA, no trade for AD (he's unlikely to resign due to Kyrie leaving),  still kick Rozier to the curb, sign Al to a longer, cheaper-per-year deal.  Roll with a starting line-up of  Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Horford.  have Smart/Baynes/Morris as the fifth starter depending on matchups.  use picks to either consolidate to move up or get a vet role player or better yet do both.  Use Hayward as the playmaker or at least have him run the offense. 

I think #1 is the far more likely scenario since it looks like it'd have more of a chance of being a contender.  At this point, I just can't see them running it back with the same roster next year with just removing Rozier and possibly Morris from the rotation.   

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Think Al will be back.

have to admit, I think this team is going to go in one of 2 directions:
1.  resign Kyrie, trade for AD depending on whether he's willing to resign here,  lose Tatum and Smart and probably Williams as part of that deal as well as 4 first rounders, kick Rozier to the curb and probably resign Morris.  Sign Al to a longer, cheaper-per-year deal.
2.  Lose Kyrie as a FA, no trade for AD (he's unlikely to resign due to Kyrie leaving),  still kick Rozier to the curb, sign Al to a longer, cheaper-per-year deal.  Roll with a starting line-up of  Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Horford.  have Smart/Baynes/Morris as the fifth starter depending on matchups.  use picks to either consolidate to move up or get a vet role player or better yet do both.  Use Hayward as the playmaker or at least have him run the offense. 

I think #1 is the far more likely scenario since it looks like it'd have more of a chance of being a contender.  At this point, I just can't see them running it back with the same roster next year with just removing Rozier and possibly Morris from the rotation.

Your option 1 is what Danny is going to try to do without a doubt. He is going to push for Kyrie to commit ASAP, then work on getting a deal in place for AD before the draft. Cs use the picks for the Pels.

If this does not work, then it will be option 2.

« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
DA is also going to have to convince Horford that the Celtics can contend if he is to stay.

If its option 1 I think its pretty straightforward as he wants to stay. But option 2 he might bounce.

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25:57 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Right. I'm no mathematician, but I imagine having a max contract on a backup SF may hurt us going forward in terms of acquiring high quality players who actually deserve max contracts. That's where I drew the Chandler Parsons comparison (while acknowledging Hayward still may something left in the tank).

My initial comment about Hayward not returning to form was speaking more to folks who are under the impression that Hayward's on an upswing heading back to his baseline, which I disagree with. Hayward averaged 18 and 5 over the last four games of the season and some were emphatically convinced he was making a return to form. Hayward was not just a player who average 20, 5, and 5 over the course of a few seasons, he was also exactly the type of player we needed in the playoffs - a big body, explosive athlete, who wasn't afraid to draw contact and take it to the rim. Surely, he wasn't LBJ or Durant, but he was cemented in that second tier of forwards who could take over a game in a way that none of our roster demonstrated the capacity to do so outside of Kyrie. And I think Tatum's rookie season softened the blow a bit by providing us a distraction and a place to store our faith and expectations, but Hayward's contract still exists and Tatum's still 21 years old.

I guess, in my mind, I see Hayward as a challenging player and contract for us going forward because he's a little old for a rebuilding piece (29), he's an uncertainty, and he plays a position that we're a little stacked in. I don't understand how he fits going forward.

I think team should look at trading hayward. even if they make a big trade for Davis.

Hayward and Williams for Drummond.

Tatum, Yabusele, 1.5 mill from Detroit, Memphis pick, Clipper pick, Boston pick 2020 unprotected, Boston 2019 second rounder to NOP.

Drummond, Davis to Boston.

why???

Detroit adds outside shooting and a defensive young player to pair beside Blake. It is obvious that Blake can only do so much on his own, having Hayward be the point forward will open up both of their games and make a very formidable 2 man punch.

NOP adds youth and picks, gets their guy and saves 18 million in capspace.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y22uxva6

Boston adds a big body and the best bigman in the game.
Allows Al to come off the bench to solidify that position, and to close out games with Davis is looking to go all defensive up front.  Also opens door for a CRAZY big lineup with Davis playing spot minutes at the SF spot, Horford at PF and Drummond at center.

Resign Morris, Sign Vince to LLE, Sign Pat Beverly to full MLE, Draft BPA with Sac pick and Boston pick. (Johnson and Gafford)

Kyrie/Beverly/Wannamaker
Smart/Vince/Johnson
Brown/Morris/Semi
Davis/Horford/Gafford
Drummond/Baynes/Theis

Vet leadership, toughness, defense, shooting, size, length, versatility and very importantly....mentorship.

I for one really want to see Vince here mentoring Jaylen brown.

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Completely agree with the OP.  Hopefully this season puts an end to the notion that this team needs Kyrie and/or Hayward to win a championship.  They had both guys this year and were worse in both the regular season and the playoffs period. 

Those guys are good players, but they ultimately didn't bring anymore to the table than maximizing the minutes of our young players would have. 

Kyrie and whatever other pieces it took should have been traded for Anthony Davis months ago.  Now the Celtics are going to miss out on yet another bonafide superstar (call me wrong, call me a liar, call me a troll, I don't care - I'm right on this) when other teams willing to mortgage the farm for Davis step into the picture.   

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2019, 09:36:51 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I don't think Kyrie and Tatum play well on the court.   When Tatum gets hot, guys on the team quit throwing him the ball.

If you’re name isn’t Kyrie, if you’re hot you will never get the ball anyway.

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2019, 09:45:48 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I think team should look at trading hayward. even if they make a big trade for Davis.

Hayward and Williams for Drummond.

Tatum, Yabusele, 1.5 mill from Detroit, Memphis pick, Clipper pick, Boston pick 2020 unprotected, Boston 2019 second rounder to NOP.

Drummond, Davis to Boston.

why???

Detroit adds outside shooting and a defensive young player to pair beside Blake. It is obvious that Blake can only do so much on his own, having Hayward be the point forward will open up both of their games and make a very formidable 2 man punch.

NOP adds youth and picks, gets their guy and saves 18 million in capspace.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y22uxva6

Boston adds a big body and the best bigman in the game.
Allows Al to come off the bench to solidify that position, and to close out games with Davis is looking to go all defensive up front.  Also opens door for a CRAZY big lineup with Davis playing spot minutes at the SF spot, Horford at PF and Drummond at center.

Resign Morris, Sign Vince to LLE, Sign Pat Beverly to full MLE, Draft BPA with Sac pick and Boston pick. (Johnson and Gafford)

Kyrie/Beverly/Wannamaker
Smart/Vince/Johnson
Brown/Morris/Semi
Davis/Horford/Gafford
Drummond/Baynes/Theis

Vet leadership, toughness, defense, shooting, size, length, versatility and very importantly....mentorship.

I for one really want to see Vince here mentoring Jaylen brown.

*cracks fingers*
Go watch the Detroit playoffs VS the 6ers and let
Me know if you still want Dummond. Drum would be a step backwards I promise. I was high on getting him at one point so I started deep diving into his highlights and watched the Detroit series and I can promise you that he’s not what you want lol. He gets flat
Out destroyed and he still has no offense. Not even a decent passer. Can say what you want about Al but he does his job. He plays great D and provides solids O which makes him far better than Drum.

Tbh is rather entertain trading Hayward to the Cavs. Drum is young and he demands starter attention. T.Thomp can either come off the bench or flop back and forth from being a starter to riding the bench for Al when he needs a break. Thomp is and will be cheaper than Drum.

Also take another look at what you left for the Pels. They really got Tatum and complete trash. The Lakers can easily top that trade. You have to find some more talent for the Pels in your trade. You are better off throwing at least Brown in there
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:27:53 AM by RazzelnoDazzel »