Author Topic: Hayward and Semi for Aaron Gordon, Bamba, Aminu  (Read 6470 times)

Re: Hayward and Semi for Aaron Gordon, Bamba, Aminu
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't get the fascination with Bamba.  His defense aside from blocks looks so-so

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Do this trade and we lose a good Greek Freak defender (Semi), lose a scorer and facilitator and leader (Hayward), and gain a toothpick for Embiid to clean his teeth with (Bamba) after he feasts on our front line.

As much as I like Mo he is still a project.

At least with Semi we have someone who can body up the physical Embiid...someone who plays physical defense with Greek Freak.

Aaron Gordon would help but it'd be marginal at best.

I say thumbs down to this trade.

Definitely NOT, after last night.

Gordon Hayward - being roughly 5 years older AND perhaps our BEST overall player last night with his REBOUNDS and ASSISTS - thoroughly outplayed Aaron.

At this point last night's game reminds me that Gordon Hayward IS deferring to the Younguns....the Jays. Dude can STILL play though - harkening back to his Utah days where he could carry a team.

Dude STILL has it - on FULL display last night when we NEEDED it.

Wasn't hiding behind The Jays.....wasn't ducking the moment....STILL giving deference to Kemba, even then.

My hope is that Gordon Hayward STAYS in BOS long term. His is a TRUE Celtic, through and through.

Thanks for channeling your inner Hondo last night, Hayward - we NEEDED it.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I'll say this, I'd love for Stevens to get his hands on Aarron Gordon and deploy him as a center in smallball lineups with Kemba, Smart, and the J's. Not really actively looking to move Hayward, but if the front office is concerned that Hayward is going to be unaffordable/a walk risk this summer there are worse targets than Aaron Gordon. The guy's been incorrectly deployed his entire career, is still only 24, and is on a reasonable enough contract that goes for a few more years.

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Its interesting for sure. Most people will say Gordon is a downgrade form hayward so why do it? But if Hayward is going to be the fourth guy moving forward then the distinction between their offensive contributions starts to shrink, and Gordon is the better defender at this stage. Increase your athleticism. He has two more years of relatively team friendly salary at like 18 and 17 million (it declines) which helps the Celtics salary cap/tax situation going forward. Gives you a flyer on a big with size (who can also shoot a little btw).

Its a tough sell for the magic because Gordon can opt out after this year, but maybe they'd do it simply to have his bird rights and maybe he'd opt in with the idea that he could have a huge year as the primary offensive guy next year and then be a FA in a class with a lot more open cap space and cash in then.

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Its interesting for sure. Most people will say Gordon is a downgrade form hayward so why do it? But if Hayward is going to be the fourth guy moving forward then the distinction between their offensive contributions starts to shrink, and Gordon is the better defender at this stage. Increase your athleticism. He has two more years of relatively team friendly salary at like 18 and 17 million (it declines) which helps the Celtics salary cap/tax situation going forward. Gives you a flyer on a big with size (who can also shoot a little btw).

Its a tough sell for the magic because Gordon can opt out after this year, but maybe they'd do it simply to have his bird rights and maybe he'd opt in with the idea that he could have a huge year as the primary offensive guy next year and then be a FA in a class with a lot more open cap space and cash in then.

It’s true that Aaron Gordon, when engaged, is an excellent switchable defender. But he’s not bigger than Theis, and on offense he’s a train wreck. Bad 3-PT shooter (think Smart of two years ago) who takes lots of them. Power forward who thinks he’s a small forward, tries and fails to break guys down off the dribble. He can’t or won’t do all the little things Theis does to make the offense go at center, and if you play him at PF he’d gum up the works. Of course it’s possible Brad and Co. could persuade him to take on a different role... but coaches have been trying for years.

Semi is a very useful bench player.

Net, this trade makes us worse.

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 02:12:52 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
It’s true that Aaron Gordon, when engaged, is an excellent switchable defender. But he’s not bigger than Theis, and on offense he’s a train wreck. Bad 3-PT shooter (think Smart of two years ago) who takes lots of them. Power forward who thinks he’s a small forward, tries and fails to break guys down off the dribble.

I mean, they're currently playing him in a C-C-PF frontcourt alongside Vucevic and Khem Birch. I have a hard time blaming him for trying to be a perimeter player when that's clearly what Orlando's asking of him. It's not his fault they don't know the difference between Andre Iguodala and Shawn Marion. 

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It’s true that Aaron Gordon, when engaged, is an excellent switchable defender. But he’s not bigger than Theis, and on offense he’s a train wreck. Bad 3-PT shooter (think Smart of two years ago) who takes lots of them. Power forward who thinks he’s a small forward, tries and fails to break guys down off the dribble.

I mean, they're currently playing him in a C-C-PF frontcourt alongside Vucevic and Khem Birch. I have a hard time blaming him for trying to be a perimeter player when that's clearly what Orlando's asking of him. It's not his fault they don't know the difference between Andre Iguodala and Shawn Marion.

Certainly possible it’s the team’s fault, but this has been the case for years now, across a few lineup changes. There’s a lot of reporting that he’s just hard-headed about it - like Simmons refusing to shoot.

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Certainly possible it’s the team’s fault, but this has been the case for years now, across a few lineup changes. There’s a lot of reporting that he’s just hard-headed about it - like Simmons refusing to shoot.

Fair enough, I'm obviously not in the locker room down in Orlando and if a guy doesn't want to be coached there's only so much you can do. I suspect that he'd be willing to focus on attacking the basket if he was finally surrounded by actual ballhandlers and shooters, though, and I feel strongly that he'd excell in that role.

To be clear, this is only if the front office doesn't intend to match a big offer for Hayward in free agency. If they're likely to lose him for nothing then I'd rather go out and get a young starter who's paid more in line with a 4th/5th guy. If the money isn't a problem then I'm happy with Hayward sticking around.