Author Topic: Dead last in the power rankings  (Read 6085 times)

Re: Dead last in the power rankings
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

That six-year contract from the Celts affords Brad Stevens more security and leeway than pretty much any coach on the NBA map not named Popovich. Yet it still has to be a culture shock to be staring at the first three-game losing streak he's lived through since December 2011 back at Butler.

Starting off the season right, imo.   If we keep this up, we are GUARANTEED a Top 4 pick in a draft with at least 5 guys I'd be comfortable building a team around.

Tommy Point. For people complaining that the draft lottery is no way to succeed, what you forget is if you are the worst or second to worst team you are pretty much guaranteed a top 5 pick. And in this draft there are people you can build around.

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Tommy Point. For people complaining that the draft lottery is no way to succeed, what you forget is if you are the worst or second to worst team you are pretty much guaranteed a top 5 pick. And in this draft there are people you can build around.

But I wouldn't be shocked if Ainge lands a top five pick, even a top three pick, and ends up trading it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

But I wouldn't be shocked if Ainge lands a top five pick, even a top three pick, and ends up trading it.

I wouldn't hate that idea depending on what we'd get in return.

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Very real possibility that isn't discussed much...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Very real possibility that isn't discussed much...

Agreed.

I was hoping Kevin Love was in play for this idea but the T Wolves look pretty great.  And Love does too  :'(
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yeah maybe worst Celtic season ever in the making.

We don't even have a Al Jefferson to get excited about.

Just watch Wiggins highlights to get through it

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think this team is aa lock for a top 5 pick, more likely top 3

It is mathematically impossible to be a lock for a top 3 pick (unless you own all but two of the picks in the lottery).

Not true. The worst record is a lock for a top 3 pick

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It is mathematically impossible to be a lock for a top 3 pick (unless you own all but two of the picks in the lottery).

No - top 4.  Top 3 picks are always drawn, worst record remaining gets #4.  It happened in 07 with Memphis.

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The team with the worst record has a better chance of drafting 4th (35.7%) than it does of drafting 1st (25%).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 07:47:58 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

The team with the worst record has a better chance of drafting 4th (35.7%) than it does of drafting 1st (25%).

Yup. This happened to Memphis in the Oden/Durant year, and we of course racked up the bad juju and picked 5th.