Author Topic: Globe says 1 percent chance of Howard coming to C's  (Read 7921 times)

Re: Dwight Howard doesnt want to play for Celtics.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
There is no chance (Dwight Howard) comes to Boston, though, because he does not want to play here. If he did, the Celtics would roll out a green carpet from his house all the way to TD Garden. Chances: 1 percent. Boston Globe
I knew this all along. We wont have a chance landing him if we dont get another Superstar to convince him like KG. He would probably sign here if we landed Josh Smith.
It's probably nothing to even to do with that and more the weather, that and our battles in the playoffs
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Globe says 1 percet chance of Howard coming to C's
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:54 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think it's funny when people assume Josh Smith is some magic D12 lure.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 06:11:27 AM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I think it's funny when people assume Josh Smith is some magic D12 lure.

Well they are friends, and D12 likes playing with his friends, but yeah I doubt that will be a big factor on where he goes.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think the chance is probably less than that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Lloyd Christmas quote in 3... 2... 1...

so your saying there is a chance......
Green 18!

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I thought this had been known?

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Add Dwight Howard to the current squad, and we're one of the best teams in the conference. 

I've been as down on the current team as anyone, but adding Dwight Howard would solve 90% of the team's ills.  Rondo-to-Dwight would potentially be epic.  Rondo would be (by far) the best PG he's played with - he'd be getting easy shots every night.

Pierce can still play.  The reason GMs are calling about him (rather than KG) is that they know he can still be a very productive player for a few more years.

KG's probably not coming back (they'd have to renounce his Bird rights for the cap space anyway), but Brandon Bass could slide into the starting lineup - especially with Dwight covering up some of his weaknesses.  Have to re-sign him.

Ray Allen, same as with KG, they'd have to renounce his Bird rights to re-sign him, but if he'd come back at the veteran min...

You could put up a lineup next year of

Rondo
Ray
Pierce
Bass
Dwight

That's pretty good right there, and pretty complementary pieces.  Need a bench, but that wouldn't be a terrible place for Dwight to land.  Need a bench still.  Still a veteran squad, but where the age is showing itself mostly is in the interior - Dwight would be replacing JO (and to some extent, at least with respect to defense and rebounding, KG).

I think Dwight would at least have to consider Boston.  It's still a tremendous longshot, but I think it's more of a 5% chance than a 1% chance.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
Any idea why no good players have Boston on their radar?
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=52697.0

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Other than the Celtic tradition, I can't figure out one reason why Dwight Howard would want to come here. The team is on the downswing, and other than Rajon Rondo, really does not have anything to attract Dwight Howard or any other premiere free agents. As we all know, the NBA has changed for the superstars. It's all about what other superstars to these teams have and where is the best weather. Tradition doesn't mean crap to most of these players.

Re: Dwight Howard doesnt want to play for Celtics.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
everyone knows this, no one wants to admit it, it's been false hope for quite some time now
lol foreal idk why these posters think he's coming here haha

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Add Dwight Howard to the current squad, and we're one of the best teams in the conference. 

I've been as down on the current team as anyone, but adding Dwight Howard would solve 90% of the team's ills.  Rondo-to-Dwight would potentially be epic.  Rondo would be (by far) the best PG he's played with - he'd be getting easy shots every night.

Pierce can still play.  The reason GMs are calling about him (rather than KG) is that they know he can still be a very productive player for a few more years.

KG's probably not coming back (they'd have to renounce his Bird rights for the cap space anyway), but Brandon Bass could slide into the starting lineup - especially with Dwight covering up some of his weaknesses.  Have to re-sign him.

Ray Allen, same as with KG, they'd have to renounce his Bird rights to re-sign him, but if he'd come back at the veteran min...

You could put up a lineup next year of

Rondo
Ray
Pierce
Bass
Dwight

That's pretty good right there, and pretty complementary pieces.  Need a bench, but that wouldn't be a terrible place for Dwight to land.  Need a bench still.  Still a veteran squad, but where the age is showing itself mostly is in the interior - Dwight would be replacing JO (and to some extent, at least with respect to defense and rebounding, KG).

I think Dwight would at least have to consider Boston.  It's still a tremendous longshot, but I think it's more of a 5% chance than a 1% chance.

Actually, I think the key is to trade Pierce for Josh Smith or Monta Ellis, which are two players that Howard has said he would like to play with. Then Howard could be lured by Smith/Ellis, the ability to play for pass first PG, a great coach, and of course a good amount of money. This also saves a little bit of money, as Smith will make about 3M less than Pierce next season, and Ellis about 5M less.

Signing Howard could also motivate KG to return for the minimum. Obviously prime KG is gone, but surely he can offer more next season than PJ did in 08 and Sheed did in 10. A KG, protected by Howard, can be really productive for 20-25 minutes a night. His passing, leadership, and shooting will still be there.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
1% is better than 0%

what just because he doesn't want to come here, we give up...we don't attempt to try?

come FA, if we tried to get him here and he went somewhere else, ok, so w hat we tried...

if we don't try and he just ends up somewhere else, people are going to blame the GM (Danny) for not even trying

ok, so he has a 1% chance of coming to Boston, anything we can do to increase that 1% higher?

Not that it has anything to do with the chances of landing Howard, but what do you think the odds were of the Celts getting both KG & Ray Allen?  Much worse than they were of landing the top pick that year anyhow.
Yup

Re: Globe says 1 percent chance of Howard coming to C's
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
LA, Dallas and NJ are the teams on Howard's wish list correct?

I don't understand that list.  If he wants to play with a consensus top 10 player (Kobe, Dirk, Deron Williams) why not expand the list to include Chicago and OKC? Why not those teams again if he wants to join a long-term contender?

If he wants a major metropolitan market why Dallas instead of Chicago?  If he wants to be the man in a major market why join the biggest ball & media hog in the business in Kobe?

If he wants a proven management/ownership group why NJ?

Don't understand the motivations behind that list.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
LA, Dallas and NJ are the teams on Howard's wish list correct?

I don't understand that list.  If he wants to play with a consensus top 10 player (Kobe, Dirk, Deron Williams) why not expand the list to include Chicago and OKC? Why not those teams again if he wants to join a long-term contender?

If he wants a major metropolitan market why Dallas instead of Chicago?  If he wants to be the man in a major market why join the biggest ball & media hog in the business in Kobe?

If he wants a proven management/ownership group why NJ?

Don't understand the motivations behind that list.

The wish list is something created by the media.  It is a combination of places that he could go to next year via free agency, and places that could trade for him and he would resign with.

Don't read too much into it. 

All those teams are the most likely teams he ends up on next year, however, there are other places, such as Chicago or OKC that would also be added to the list, if they were able to put together a suitable trade offer (and if they were inclined to).

The bottom line though, is that the C's only chance of convincing Howard to come to Boston is if they have another top 5-10 player in his prime to lure him.  They don't have that, so they are not on the list.

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Why would it be 1%? There are less than 5 teams with cap space over the summer that are worth signing for. Any teams over the cap would have to give away way too many assets to work a sign and trade with Orlando. Celtics have cap space and assets already.

Boston is a solid possibility. I'd put it at 30%.

Great organization, coach, and a PG that fits perfectly with Dwight.

Add in Pierce, Bass, Jeff Green, JJJ, Avery, and draft picks. Not to mention Ray who wants to finish his career here and will sign for 2 years at the vet's minimum.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird