Author Topic: The problem is the C's bench, not Big Three  (Read 6290 times)

Re: The problem is the C's bench, not Big Three
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
KG had a good shooting night, but honestly he was undefended for the most part and he wasn't rebounding. I have to agree KG is the problem.

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's actually true.  The problem is not necessarily the top 4 players (the only 4 players remaining from the 2008 title).  If we had Jeff Green and Krstik, this team would look a little different, but unfortunately we don't have anything close to a starting center and our bench is pretty miserable. 

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this unless Chris Kaman gets bought out or something.  So if we claw our way until the playoffs we'll get dominated.  And since we are unlikely to keep Ray and KG in the offseason...  the best move at this point would seem to be dumping Ray and Pierce for expiring contracts and draft picks.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's actually true.  The problem is not necessarily the top 4 players (the only 4 players remaining from the 2008 title).  If we had Jeff Green and Krstik, this team would look a little different, but unfortunately we don't have anything close to a starting center and our bench is pretty miserable. 

Unfortunately, there is no fix for this unless Chris Kaman gets bought out or something.  So if we claw our way until the playoffs we'll get dominated.  And since we are unlikely to keep Ray and KG in the offseason...  the best move at this point would seem to be dumping Ray and Pierce for expiring contracts and draft picks.

I think you're seeing a little more still in KG and Ray, particularly, than is left in them.

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Incorrect.

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Getting rid of D West and Tony Allen still mystifies me...TA had his best year on defense that year....marquis had his usual subpar year. TA wantd 3 @ 3.5, they said 2 @ 3.5mill...then they sign land of the lost marquis for....3.5 mill...duh..nice replacement...uhm..same height??? TA got even better, marquis got even worse. West, lie TA, was a good slasher..West was a good shooter..Then there is Steamer...our backup center that doc hates, probably because he rebounds...doc hates rebounders, yes, he actually said he doesn't want the team wasting time rebounding, just to get back on D..and you wonder why i question his IQ.....There has never been a coach in basketball history that didn't want rebounds......another point may be that Danny and doc are tanking this year.....looking ahead....good year to tank anyway...short, odd season....let it go....! Try to trade Rondo, then tell him it is HIS team ( can he take it with him..? ) lose all the guys that ran with him, and don't play anyone who really tries to do extra effort, like steamer..!

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »

Offline The DarkPassenger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
The problem is both of them. The Big 3 are aging and the bench again is new so that adds up to bad chemistry and knowledge of others styles of play and that adds up to losses. The Big 3 is the reason we got Banner 17 and I am forever grateful for that but they are right now a part of the issue and need to step it up. Pierce did tonight, KG is on his way but still has a ways to go.

Now we also need Doc to be more consistent with his rotations and time given to players. Giving the Steamer only about a minute of playing time has to stop... give him 7-10 minutes. He has to use his bench more sometimes and he's still against playing rookies. (Yes I know he's playing Moore but he doesn't really have a choice)

I believe they will figure it out, I believe in Doc honestly and Danny will do what he thinks is best for the future.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." - Michael Jordan

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Red Auerbach

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
our team is too old and the only one that can create their own shot is Rondo and Pierce.  Besides that everyone just stands around, or rather, gets pushed around because they're so frail.  I actually thought our bench was going to be a brighter spot than our Big 4 this year.  Losing Jeff Green nixed that.  I think we're in for a ride this year.  Not much to look forward to until 12-13 season.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
My vote is that it is the bench.  think about the bench we had the year we won--the clutch scoring ability of House and Posey just to start. Pietrus is not Posey. Danny has assembled a bench that other than Bass screams of mediocrity, and Bass merely replaces Big Baby.  Dooling is okay but we should have kept Delonte.  The youngs are not even close to being ready.  We have no starting or back-up center.  JO is not a starter he should be on the bench. Supported by talent at the level we had when they won the championship we would be in a far different place this year.  I see this as on Danny not bringing in the talent, with some forgiveness due to the Green situation.

Looking back, it really was a mistake to let Posey walk. He could have helped the team win a second title. If his skills declined you could just amnesty him. (The amnesty provision was included in the previous CBA so it was reasonable to conclude it would be included this time around)

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »

Offline jiriwelsch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
maybe, but posey wouldnt have lasted the length of the contract he wanted. 

My vote is that it is the bench.  think about the bench we had the year we won--the clutch scoring ability of House and Posey just to start. Pietrus is not Posey. Danny has assembled a bench that other than Bass screams of mediocrity, and Bass merely replaces Big Baby.  Dooling is okay but we should have kept Delonte.  The youngs are not even close to being ready.  We have no starting or back-up center.  JO is not a starter he should be on the bench. Supported by talent at the level we had when they won the championship we would be in a far different place this year.  I see this as on Danny not bringing in the talent, with some forgiveness due to the Green situation.

Looking back, it really was a mistake to let Posey walk. He could have helped the team win a second title. If his skills declined you could just amnesty him. (The amnesty provision was included in the previous CBA so it was reasonable to conclude it would be included this time around)

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
What problem?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson