Author Topic: Pierce is the Problem  (Read 4842 times)

Pierce is the Problem
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
First Paragraph of Boston Globe Article by Gary Washburn, March 10,2010.
"MILWAUKEE - Ray Allen had a difficult time explaining why he attempted only three shots last night against the Bucks. He attributed it to a lack of ball movement, and many times in the 86-84 loss, the ball stopped moving when it got to Paul Pierce."

This explains the career of Paul Pierce.  He is a warrior, but in the later half of a game he is the problem.  There is nothing more frustrating than Pierce getting the ball for the final possession. Maybe he converts 10%. This is why the Celtics have recently given up huge 3rd quarter leads.  Ball Goes to Pierce, then no ball movement.

I have always thought Ray Allen should be the number one option for the Celtics on Offense. He is better with the ball and he is a better scorer.

Re: Pierce is the Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If we got the ball to Ray would there then be ball movement?

Both Ray and Paul are "enders"....meaning the movement ends most of the time with them.

13 shots for Pierce is also not enough.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think 13 is a good amount for Pierce, there are only so many shots to be taken, but Allen needs to be taking just as much.  He needs to be used to open up the offense, he is the guy that needs to be spreading everything out.  If Ray is getting his outside shots, then it's going to be easier for Pierce to get to the rim.  I really think it's simple when Ray is the #1 option, we play well, when he's getting 3 shots in a game, we will not win.
do it

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:36:45 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
I think 13 is a good amount for Pierce, there are only so many shots to be taken, but Allen needs to be taking just as much.  He needs to be used to open up the offense, he is the guy that needs to be spreading everything out.  If Ray is getting his outside shots, then it's going to be easier for Pierce to get to the rim.  I really think it's simple when Ray is the #1 option, we play well, when he's getting 3 shots in a game, we will not win.

13 would be fine if we were playing our starters for 3 quarters like we did most of the season in our chip year.

Normally in a close full 48 minute game, each starter should have "4 stints" of play.

1. Starting the game
2. Finishing 1st half
3. Starting 2nd half
4. Finishing the game.

13 shots spread out over 4 stints is about 3 per stint.

Now there can be stints where 0 shots are attempted, so it could be 6, 0, 3, 3 or 6, 0, 0, 6.....Ray's flow is a lot like this because he gets hot we go to him a lot and then we forget about him (LOL!).

A few big problems that are detriments to this team, as far as shot attempts go are: Pace and Turnovers.

We have probably the 7th or 6th slowest pace in the NBA.

We also are 2nd highest in Turnover %.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Part of the problem is Perkins getting 9 shots when none of them were dunks or layups. 13 shots for Pierce is good, 13 for KG is good, 10 for Rondo is good, but 3 for Ray is unacceptable.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:42:32 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
Part of the problem is Perkins getting 9 shots when none of them were dunks or layups. 13 shots for Pierce is good, 13 for KG is good, 10 for Rondo is good, but 3 for Ray is unacceptable.

I don't think you can go by the Bucks game's box score.

Both the Bucks and Celtics are slow it down defensive types (Bucks more recently, Celtics all season).

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Tommysgod

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 7
First of all Gary Washburn didn't say what you have him quoted as saying. Second of all, Pierce makes 10% of game winning or tying shots? Wow, how quickly people forget. Where is all this Pierce hatred or misguided information coming from? It's beyond obvious that Doc has completly changed this offense as the year has gone on and they've gone to the celtics of old offense (by old I mean 50's and 60's style) where the ball moves all over the place and the majority of our shots come from within 10-15 feet from multiple passes. I personally don't agree with this style because this means Ray and Paul aren't shooting 15-18 shots a game like they should be, but it is what it is. I think when the playoffs start we will see less of big baby, Tony Allen/and now Findog and even less Perk and these shots will hopefully translate into more Pierce and Ray opportunities (I want to say Garnett here to, but we'll have to wait and see what he looks like come playoff time). I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

13 would be fine if we were playing our starters for 3 quarters like we did most of the season in our chip year.

Normally in a close full 48 minute game, each starter should have "4 stints" of play.

1. Starting the game
2. Finishing 1st half
3. Starting 2nd half
4. Finishing the game.

Now there can be stints where 0 shots are attempted, so it could be 6, 0, 3, 3 or 6, 0, 0, 6.....Ray's flow is a lot like this because he gets hot we go to him a lot and then we forget about him (LOL!).

A few big problems that are detriments to this team, as far as shot attempts go are: Pace and Turnovers.

Right, but look at it this way, we attempt 76 shots a game.  Now sure 13 may not be enough, but max, id say you can only give him another 2-3 more attempts.  You have Ray Allen and Pierce who need to be taking 12-15 shots a night and I think Rondo and KG should be around 10-12 shots a game.  If that's the case you have any where from 44 to 54 shots coming from those 4 guys alone.  There just aren't that many more shots to be available.  The other guys need to shoot it when those 4 are not on the floor.
do it

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
 :-\
ball movement is the problem but it isn't PP fault
all good teams (forever) always move the ball quickly to get the best shot for whomever, c's in 80's, bulls, spurs etc etc
nearly every player is slow with ball when it gets into their hands, kg does a nice job getting the ball on low post and either passing or shooting
ray needs more shots for sure

I think nearly all fans are in a funk trying to come up with whats wrong, pierce, trade ray, davis is the black hole etc.  I'm with everyone but this is the team and we don't have danny or docs control.  At this point in the season it is up to the players to step up their games.
I personally would rather have a team busting their butts EVERYGAME and having a good record/just making playoffs then a team coasting.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
all good teams (forever) always move the ball quickly to get the best shot for whomever, c's in 80's, bulls, spurs etc etc
nearly every player is slow with ball when it gets into their hands, kg does a nice job getting the ball on low post and either passing or shooting

I think nearly all fans are in a funk trying to come up with whats wrong, pierce, trade ray, davis is the black hole etc.  I'm with everyone but this is the team and we don't have danny or docs control.  At this point in the season it is up to the players to step up their games.
I personally would rather have a team busting their butts EVERYGAME and having a good record/just making playoffs then a team coasting.

well, the team just managed to start picking it up on defense the last few games, so give them another 4-5 games and they will get around to picking up the offense and ball movement too ;D

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

well, the team just managed to start picking it up on defense the last few games, so give them another 4-5 games and they will get around to picking up the offense and ball movement too ;D
it honestly could be that easy
vets who have been injured, not the whole team playing together etc
beginning of year team looked reallly good
i wear green glasses, drink green kool aid so that is my plan

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

1. Starting the game
2. Finishing 1st half
3. Starting 2nd half
4. Finishing the game.

Paul's only averaging 12 shots a game this year. 13 should be fine.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
First Paragraph of Boston Globe Article by Gary Washburn, March 10,2010.
"MILWAUKEE - Ray Allen had a difficult time explaining why he attempted only three shots last night against the Bucks. He attributed it to a lack of ball movement, and many times in the 86-84 loss, the ball stopped moving when it got to Paul Pierce."

This explains the career of Paul Pierce.  He is a warrior, but in the later half of a game he is the problem.  There is nothing more frustrating than Pierce getting the ball for the final possession. Maybe he converts 10%. This is why the Celtics have recently given up huge 3rd quarter leads.  Ball Goes to Pierce, then no ball movement.

I have always thought Ray Allen should be the number one option for the Celtics on Offense. He is better with the ball and he is a better scorer.

Except that's not what I saw.  Pierce only took 12 shots.  It appeared to me that Rondo was the one holding the ball.  He handles the ball the most, so maybe Ray should be talking to Rondo.  I was hoping that that last shot would go to Ray though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rondo was having a pretty good game and he was overall quite aggressive so it's hard to fault him here, but certainly, there was a failure to find Ray.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:58:27 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I tend to notice that when the Celtics play well, Rondo is finding Ray early and often.  When they are not playing well, Rondo looks off Ray when he is open. 

I agree with a previous poster who said that getting everyone shots just makes it easier for the rest of the team, because there are so many complimentary pieces.