Author Topic: Player Discussion: Jayson Tatum thread  (Read 8459 times)

Re: Player Discussion: Jayson Tatum thread
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:16 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Really happy with Tatum. I don't know what the hell I was doing at 19.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Highlight vs Raptors

https://youtu.be/tCmbXm_scJM

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
The kid is going to be a Celtics All-Time great. He's not even done growing and doesn't even know how to score professionally yet. When he gets in the weight room and then starts posting people up, it's over.

I see flashes of several players...Pippen at times and Pierce at times.

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
2017 draft WARP leaderboard
Jayson Tatum 1.2
Lauri Markkanen 0.9
John Collins 0.9
Kyle Kuzma 0.5
OG Anunoby 0.4
Jordan Bell 0.4
Lonzo Ball 0.2
Jonathan Isaac 0.2
Bam Adebayo 0.2
Nobody else positive

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
2017 draft WARP leaderboard
Jayson Tatum 1.2
Lauri Markkanen 0.9
John Collins 0.9
Kyle Kuzma 0.5
OG Anunoby 0.4
Jordan Bell 0.4
Lonzo Ball 0.2
Jonathan Isaac 0.2
Bam Adebayo 0.2
Nobody else positive

What is WARP...wins above replacement?

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
So Tatum goes from Duke to another top head coach Brad Stevens. The starter at his position, gets knocked out ten seconds into the season and he is starting in the NBA and has no idea what he is doing.

His achievements to now are all just plain talent. Game two he gets the ball on the perimeter and just stares at what's going on and passes out of it. The learning curve begins.

Last night? He gets the ball and drives a seam to the hoop like he's been doing this for awhile.

Shooting form is amazing.

Could he be on a team better suited for him at this stage?

Destiny.

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What is WARP...wins above replacement?
Yup.

Though usually you want to source where you're getting WARP from as its a common enough term that multiple models use it or stuff that sounds like it.

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Skills aside, what I like about Tatum is his maturity and intelligence. A sign of that is that he has adjusted his game to the NBA and plays within himself. (I didn't like his game in summer league, where he slowed things down and made things unnecessary complicated. Now he plays more straight forward). But he's a 19 year old rookie, playing heavy minutes in an 82-96 games season. I hope he doesn't wear out or gets injured along the way.

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Incredible drafting by Ainge.  It's very rare for a 19 year-old kid to be the best isolation scorer on one of the best teams in the NBA.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Incredible drafting by Ainge.  It's very rare for a 19 year-old kid to be the best isolation scorer on one of the best teams in the NBA.

This is an odd statement by a guy who has been consistently anti-Irving, especially over the last few days. It seems like you are just trying to inflame another reaction on a different board. Irving is widely regarded as one of the best in the NBA at ISO play. He is certainly best on our team.

I like Tatum. You could argue that he is second on our team, but I don't think you could argue he is first.

As far as the argument for the second best on our team, he has had very few pure ISO plays this season. Most of his points are attacking closeouts on pick-and-rolls or kick-outs. Morris and Horford are probably better right now than Tatum, but Tatum has a much higher ceiling than both guys.

All of that being said, he is at least Otto Porter right now already, which is pretty awesome. Great drafting by Ainge. Sky is the limit in CBS system.

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »

Offline AUS_Celtics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
Last August, there were talks of a Porzingis trade for our first pick. If any of us where in Danny Ainge's position today, would you revisit that exchange? Are we willing to include Tatum in a Porzingis deal? Thanks!
Fake the funk!

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Last August, there were talks of a Porzingis trade for our first pick. If any of us where in Danny Ainge's position today, would you revisit that exchange? Are we willing to include Tatum in a Porzingis deal? Thanks!

My big concern is Zinger's long-term health. Big guys don't have a great history with foot problems.

Let me put it like this: if I put the over-under at Porzingis having 7.5 more seasons playing at least 55 games, would you pick the over or under?

I'd pick under.

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Is trolling allowed on this board? Because this is clearly trolling.

Kyrie is, without question or debate, the best ISO scorer on this team. That simply isn't arguable. He is one of the best ISO scorers in the entire league.

It bothers me you continue to post this sort of obvious bait, and then when someone responds, and calls out the foolishness, you report them to the mods.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:13:13 PM by wayupnorth »

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

That's a tough question.  Both Zinger & Tatum and Brown's values have both gone up exponentially since the start of the season.

The main issues now are:

*Having Brown & Tatum on rookie deals (Jaylen through 2020 and Tatum through 2021) vs KP through 2019
*KP's injury history
*How valuable our Lakers/Sac/Philly weird pick is
*Projecting Tatum's peak

If Hayward were healthy I probably would but now I think I would pass.  Tatum is looking just too good as a 19 year old.  He's three years younger than Porzingis.

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This is a toughie, but I'd have to say no

JT has looked way too good, and Jaylen has improved dramatically (I think that was what people were considering offer wise)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)