Poll

Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East?

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Cavs
Knicks
Pacers
Other East Team

Author Topic: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)  (Read 4529 times)

Re: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2024, 09:55:18 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
The biggest threat to the Celtics not winning the title, are Tatum and Brown. Will they both finally show up and play with a killer mentality every single night of the playoffs? Will they take every game seriously? Too often in the playoffs, they have this laissez-faire attitude that every game doesn't matter, and they'll just get the next one if they lose. They need to stop playing 6-7 game series each round, and put teams away in 4-5.

This may be on the team as a whole, but win every home playoff game. Their record at home in the playoffs the last few seasons, is simply embarrassing.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2024, 09:55:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
If we’re being honest with ourselves, there’s only one correct answer - ourselves. Barring injuries, there’s just no one in the East that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series on a talent basis. That said, our over-reliance on the three leading to huge variability, tendency to crap the bed in crunch time scenarios, questionable late-game coaching decisions, etc. all have plagued us at various points the last few years.

As for other teams, I still think it’s narrowly the Bucks, at least in terms of potential. Though it’s questionable whether they’ll ever get there, especially this year with the coaching change.

For the Sixers, I just don’t trust them in the playoffs given their history, as well as Embiid’s foul-baiting gameplan not translating to postseason play.

You can also throw the Heat in there as a consideration post-Rozier trade, but I’d have to see how they play with him first before putting them there.
As much as you believe it, you're actually incorrect.  You pretty much always take the field over any one team, including the celtics this year.

Perhaps if "the field" was an option on this poll, that would make sense. But since it's not an option and this is talking about a single biggest threat to us, this is a perfectly reasonable answer. Whether based on pure talent, stats (traditional, advanced, or otherwise), or virtually any other measure, there's not a single team - particularly in the East - that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series.
the Sixers and Bucks will both have the best player in the series. And they are players we don't have the man power to try to even attempt to guard effectively.

What are you talking about?  Al Horford is probably one of the best defenders of both Giannis and Embiid in the league.  Granted, it’s tough not currently having a secondary player like Grant, but he was also only effective against Giannis.  Embiid dominated him and we still won that series.
Horford is old, can't play effectively a full game, and has done very little against those guys this year.  Boston can certainly beat either team in a series (and will probably be favored to do so), but everyone acting like it is a given that Boston is jn the finals and a loss is the worst thing ever are doing themselves a disservice. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2024, 10:54:12 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
If we’re being honest with ourselves, there’s only one correct answer - ourselves. Barring injuries, there’s just no one in the East that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series on a talent basis. That said, our over-reliance on the three leading to huge variability, tendency to crap the bed in crunch time scenarios, questionable late-game coaching decisions, etc. all have plagued us at various points the last few years.

As for other teams, I still think it’s narrowly the Bucks, at least in terms of potential. Though it’s questionable whether they’ll ever get there, especially this year with the coaching change.

For the Sixers, I just don’t trust them in the playoffs given their history, as well as Embiid’s foul-baiting gameplan not translating to postseason play.

You can also throw the Heat in there as a consideration post-Rozier trade, but I’d have to see how they play with him first before putting them there.
As much as you believe it, you're actually incorrect.  You pretty much always take the field over any one team, including the celtics this year.

Perhaps if "the field" was an option on this poll, that would make sense. But since it's not an option and this is talking about a single biggest threat to us, this is a perfectly reasonable answer. Whether based on pure talent, stats (traditional, advanced, or otherwise), or virtually any other measure, there's not a single team - particularly in the East - that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series.
the Sixers and Bucks will both have the best player in the series. And they are players we don't have the man power to try to even attempt to guard effectively.

What are you talking about?  Al Horford is probably one of the best defenders of both Giannis and Embiid in the league.  Granted, it’s tough not currently having a secondary player like Grant, but he was also only effective against Giannis.  Embiid dominated him and we still won that series.
Horford is old, can't play effectively a full game, and has done very little against those guys this year.  Boston can certainly beat either team in a series (and will probably be favored to do so), but everyone acting like it is a given that Boston is jn the finals and a loss is the worst thing ever are doing themselves a disservice.

I think given the number of times we have beat Embid and the 76ers in the last 5 or 6 years and Embid's history of playoff flameouts (when he can't seem to manage the higher and more physical minutes from a fitness perspective and refs seem to give less free throws) it is fair to be confident against them. Now, I will admit between Brown and Rivers this is the first time I am scared they have a good coach for x's and o's.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2024, 11:13:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think given the number of times we have beat Embid and the 76ers in the last 5 or 6 years and Embid's history of playoff flameouts (when he can't seem to manage the higher and more physical minutes from a fitness perspective and refs seem to give less free throws) it is fair to be confident against them. Now, I will admit between Brown and Rivers this is the first time I am scared they have a good coach for x's and o's.

It went seven games last year and we were down 3-2, so it's probably best not to be *too* confident.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2024, 11:24:02 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 604
Joe should be an option.

I think it's a toss up between Milwaukee/Heat. Neither team should beat us, but it wouldn't be totally unexpected either.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2024, 11:25:22 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
My biggest fear is we're gonna end up drawing Miami in the very first round. Even if we get by them it won't be easy and just makes the entire path harder. I'd try to avoid PHI/MIL/MIA all the way until the ECF and hope they can "cannibalize" each other in the first two rounds. If it means seeing Indiana or Cleveland or New York early, so be it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2024, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Joe should be an option.

I think it's a toss up between Milwaukee/Heat. Neither team should beat us, but it wouldn't be totally unexpected either.

I specifically went out of my way to make sure he wasn’t an option since I knew people were gonna be saying “Joe” or “themselves”. Was looking for an actual east opponent.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2024, 11:29:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

It went seven games last year and we were down 3-2, so it's probably best not to be *too* confident.
and Embiid and the Sixers appear to be better and more cohesive this year. Embiid's health, as always, is the biggest issue for the Sixers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2024, 11:50:36 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I voted "Other," because the biggest threat to Boston is ... Boston.

If Boston consistently plays as "the best version of itself," I don't think anyone can beat them in a series. If Boston doesn't win the title this season, it'll be because of a) injuries, or b) the Cs can't get out of their own way, especially in late-game situations.
Well, the odds are that another team will win the title, which you can say about any individual team pretty much every year.

I think you're misunderstanding the question. The question is not about odds, or about Boston vs. the field; the OP is starting with the presupposition that Boston is the team to beat in the East, and from there he is asking which single team is the biggest challenge to that notion. The question has nothing to do with betting.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2024, 12:29:20 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

If Boston consistently plays as "the best version of itself," I don't think anyone can beat them in a series. If Boston doesn't win the title this season, it'll be because of a) injuries, or b) the Cs can't get out of their own way, especially in late-game situations.
Well, the odds are that another team will win the title, which you can say about any individual team pretty much every year.
I think you're misunderstanding the question. The question is not about odds, or about Boston vs. the field; the OP is starting with the presupposition that Boston is the team to beat in the East, and from there he is asking which single team is the biggest challenge to that notion. The question has nothing to do with betting.
On the other hand - while I don't think you're doing this - you can say 'the team can only lose if they are playing poorly' about more or less any team in the league, so I can understand why droop would reply in that fashion.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2024, 01:33:52 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

On the other hand - while I don't think you're doing this - you can say 'the team can only lose if they are playing poorly' about more or less any team in the league, so I can understand why droop would reply in that fashion.

I see your point. Maybe a better way for me to put it is to say, "If the Celtics are playing up to their full capabilities, that's better than any other team's full capabilities, so the only way they'll lose (outside of injury) is if they fail to play up to their capabilities."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2024, 02:44:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

and Embiid and the Sixers appear to be better and more cohesive this year. Embiid's health, as always, is the biggest issue for the Sixers.

You’re kidding me, right? You’re going to mention them looking better, but completely ignore Boston’s additions of two All-Star level players and us also looking significantly improved from last year? Classic Moranis haha

Also, fun fact for the “we have nobody to even attempt to guard” non-sense: when was the last game that Embiid scored under 30 points and had his lowest point total for the year? It was his last played game against Boston when Porzingis was out and we largely paired Al’s minutes with Embiid’s, though I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.

In reality, we have probably the best defender in the league for both of those guys, and at least for Giannis we have multiple guys to throw at him to try and slow him down and give him different looks.

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2024, 04:30:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

You’re kidding me, right? You’re going to mention them looking better, but completely ignore Boston’s additions of two All-Star level players and us also looking significantly improved from last year? Classic Moranis haha

Also, fun fact for the “we have nobody to even attempt to guard” non-sense: when was the last game that Embiid scored under 30 points and had his lowest point total for the year? It was his last played game against Boston when Porzingis was out and we largely paired Al’s minutes with Embiid’s, though I’m sure that’s just a coincidence.

In reality, we have probably the best defender in the league for both of those guys, and at least for Giannis we have multiple guys to throw at him to try and slow him down and give him different looks.

I agree with your point about saying Philly is better this year while not mentioning our improvements is a bit silly. Maybe the 76ers have come out a little better despite losing harden from the coaching change and maxeys improvement. However, you can't say the Celtics are not massively better with Porzingas and holiday this year. There is a reason we would be much bigger favorites in a series this year at full health than last year.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2024, 08:27:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jayson Tatum's ego.

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 183
Bucks, Sixers and Heat all capable of beating us, pacers could be pretty pesky as well and take us 7, which in years past doesn’t take much