Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238664 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #885 on: July 27, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Robert Williams' future contract:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24212244/houston-rockets-extend-clint-capela

Probably with another team, but hopefully we get the last 3 years of Capela production before then.

It will really be interesting to see RW3 play with some guards with some general clue about the P&R in an offense that features it. At TA&M and in SL, those guards had not the foggiest idea..

Well, I don’t know that the guards in Portland will serve him much better.

Maybe not. But I don't think he'll spend much time there. They'll want to get him integrated rather quickly I imagine..

As the roster currently stands, there are zero minutes for him.  When everyone is healthy, he’s probably not even one of the 13 active players.  I expect he’ll be in Maine for a lot of the season, and called up for when the team has practices.

« Reply #886 on: July 27, 2018, 06:06:04 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Robert Williams' future contract:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24212244/houston-rockets-extend-clint-capela

Probably with another team, but hopefully we get the last 3 years of Capela production before then.

It will really be interesting to see RW3 play with some guards with some general clue about the P&R in an offense that features it. At TA&M and in SL, those guards had not the foggiest idea..

Well, I don’t know that the guards in Portland will serve him much better.

Maybe not. But I don't think he'll spend much time there. They'll want to get him integrated rather quickly I imagine..

As the roster currently stands, there are zero minutes for him.  When everyone is healthy, he’s probably not even one of the 13 active players.  I expect he’ll be in Maine for a lot of the season, and called up for when the team has practices.

Well he won't get huge mins but I assume as the season progresses he'll be on the active roster and probably grabbing some of Theis's minutes, as surely he's more in our long term plans than the Theis Man Cometh. I wouldn't count him out of mins..

I only say that because I believe Theis will get a nice contract after this year that will simply be too rich for the C's blood...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:11:29 PM by JHTruth »

« Reply #887 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
wow, I totally forgot about active and inactive per game. If everyone assumes 1 inactive is Yabu, who is the other player? If it's Williams, that leaves us with 3 available bigs in Al, Theis and Baynes... we will be fine at the 4 because of Hayward and Tatum but that's pretty thin at the big spot. We have a bunch of people ahead of Bird though, maybe he isn't a guarantee for active either.

I guess it really wont matter if everyone is healthy but man, we have a hella deep team! You can just activate Williams in an emergency.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #888 on: July 27, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
wow, I totally forgot about active and inactive per game. If everyone assumes 1 inactive is Yabu, who is the other player? If it's Williams, that leaves us with 3 available bigs in Al, Theis and Baynes... we will be fine at the 4 because of Hayward and Tatum but that's pretty thin at the big spot. We have a bunch of people ahead of Bird though, maybe he isn't a guarantee for active either.

I guess it really wont matter if everyone is healthy but man, we have a hella deep team! You can just activate Williams in an emergency.

Wouldn't the other inactive player be J. Bird?

« Reply #889 on: July 27, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I think with everyone healthy, Williams and Bird are, in some order, definitely #14 and #15 on the depth chart, so I expect them playing a bunch in Maine.

« Reply #890 on: July 27, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Yep.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #891 on: July 27, 2018, 10:29:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He will see time in Maine, sure. But I think you guys are selling him short. Strikes me as possessing decent b-ball IQ already.  Plus Danny and Brad spoke of him in terms of being able to contribute early on with his defense and verticality. Plus having him around the big boys like Al, Jaylen and Jason will help keep him on track and focused. I think he’s going to end up getting more minutes this season than everyone else here is predicting, assuming he’s healthy. He will get more minutes than Yabu did last season. I suspect his minutes will be about what Semi got last season.

« Reply #892 on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He will see time in Maine, sure. But I think you guys are selling him short. Strikes me as possessing decent b-ball IQ already.  Plus Danny and Brad spoke of him in terms of being able to contribute early on with his defense and verticality. Plus having him around the big boys like Al, Jaylen and Jason will help keep him on track and focused. I think he’s going to end up getting more minutes this season than everyone else here is predicting, assuming he’s healthy. He will get more minutes than Yabu did last season. I suspect his minutes will be about what Semi got last season.

Here’s the thing: he’s not going to be handed minutes, because Stevens doesn’t do that in general, and certainly not on a team looking to compete for a title.  Even if you’re really bullish on Williams, it’s tough to have him more than 12th in the rotation and 4th on the depth chart for bigs.  Unless we go through the same level of injuries this season (no thank you, one season of that is enough), he’s not going to pile up the 1150 minutes Ojeleye got last year.  I think he’d be lucky to get Yabu’s minutes from last season, and to get more minutes than Yabusele this season.

« Reply #893 on: July 27, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Here’s the thing: he’s not going to be handed minutes, because Stevens doesn’t do that in general, and certainly not on a team looking to compete for a title.  Even if you’re really bullish on Williams, it’s tough to have him more than 12th in the rotation and 4th on the depth chart for bigs.  Unless we go through the same level of injuries this season (no thank you, one season of that is enough), he’s not going to pile up the 1150 minutes Ojeleye got last year.  I think he’d be lucky to get Yabu’s minutes from last season, and to get more minutes than Yabusele this season.

In practice, who do we think is going to win the Yabu-Williams matchup? Cuz that will likely determine who is on the active roster.

« Reply #894 on: July 28, 2018, 12:20:05 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

In practice, who do we think is going to win the Yabu-Williams matchup? Cuz that will likely determine who is on the active roster.

Williams frankly. Yabu simply has no role. He's basically a really fat wing. Williams has a natural position. But Yabu has seniority so..what they'll send Yabu back to Maine?

« Reply #895 on: July 28, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Even With the amount of bursting talent and  progression on our team ,(Tatum Brown Rozier) injuries help produce or display those developments. Even if Williams is worthy, i doubt he get many responsibilities unless absolutely necessary. Some players will benefit from the slower mold than other so it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Out of respect, Yabu prob got half a season to establish some rhytym or his garbage minutes are up again

« Reply #896 on: July 28, 2018, 01:13:16 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
At some point if you do not see anything from yabu trade him for a veteran.. keep Williams for a while to watch his progression

« Reply #897 on: July 28, 2018, 01:52:02 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
who was the last 27th pick to generate 60 pages of posts before playing a game in the regular NBA season.

« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2018, 02:01:03 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Yep.

Sorry Shak I completely glossed over that line in your post.  Give me an F for reading comprehension.

« Reply #899 on: July 28, 2018, 02:06:12 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

I have no idea.  Yabu has more experience, but to me, he hasn't shown very much other than being occasionally fun to watch.  It just feels like Yabu didn't improve enough last year when we had all the injuries to give him a leg up on more playing time this year. 

I am hoping that Williams will show Brad something to make him want to spoon feed him minutes.  But who does he take minutes from?  Not Al, not Baynes.  Theis?  Theis imo more than earned his minutes from his play last year.