Author Topic: Celtics considering trading up to #4 for PG Garland  (Read 6272 times)

Re: Celtics considering trading up to #4 for PG Garland
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 01:56:02 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The Pels were repeatedly described as wanting a "star" or young player rather than #4, so I don't see our offer as being centered around picks. Seems like they would want a young player with potential, at least.

Chicago might be offering Lavine, for example. I guess they could be moving up from #7 but paired with who? Lavine or Carter would probably be too much.

Minny might be trying to unload Wiggins, but good luck with that. I guess they could offer #11 and Saric.

I don't know who we'd be sending out. Brown? Smart plus picks?

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
14+20+Memphis pick for 4.

Maybe throw in a player

I cannot believe that NO traded DA and got a top 4 pick to turn it two midFirst round picks

For what it’s worth, my gut says that package would be centered around Marcus Smart and picks.  In the rumors of the trade discussions for Davis, Smart was frequently mentioned with either Jaylen or Jason, and while various reports have been put out that one or both of those two were off the table, there have been no such protestations about Smart.  Meanwhile, the Pelicans reportedly want a player, and not more draft picks, as their primary takeaway from trading #4 (which makes sense both given the draft and all the other future picks they have coming from LA.)

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
my question at this point is this: in a draft that's supposedly only 2-3 players deep, why is Garland suddenly such a high commodity when he's generally considered as just having the potential of a solid starter? 

I wouldn't give up much to get a prospect of that caliber -- especially not that Memphis pick which figures to convey in one of the next 2 drafts which are projected to have better top end talent and a higher volume of higher-tier prospects.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That would be great but I hear this every year. My bet is they can't do anything and up picking 3 players 2 of which become stiffs!

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
How do you move up ten spots in the NBA draft without trading a player....who is worth ten spots?

This is Ainge trying to screw somebody.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think they end up picking 3 players or at least 2 in this draft.

Then they resign Rozier

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Go for Nasir Little...

He's going to be one of the best players in this draft, book it.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Maybe throw in a player

I cannot believe that NO traded DA and got a top 4 pick to turn it two midFirst round picks

For what it’s worth, my gut says that package would be centered around Marcus Smart and picks.  In the rumors of the trade discussions for Davis, Smart was frequently mentioned with either Jaylen or Jason, and while various reports have been put out that one or both of those two were off the table, there have been no such protestations about Smart.  Meanwhile, the Pelicans reportedly want a player, and not more draft picks, as their primary takeaway from trading #4 (which makes sense both given the draft and all the other future picks they have coming from LA.)
Mannix on radio yesterday mentioned that Smart was being made available when discussing salary filler in a Davis trade. The timing of when he said it was weird though and one could interpret that Mannix said Smart was available for any trade but I understood it as meaning in the Davis trade.

So yeah, the Celtics might have Smart on the trading block for certain possible trades this summer, or even this week, if involved in a draft centered trade.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I would be interested in pick number 4, but I am not trading smart for it.

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not sure I trade Smart unless it is to get Beal...certainly not to move up in a flat draft.

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

For another guard? This seems silly to me lol. I wouldn’t even package all my 1st rounders to move up in this draft there just isn’t anyone up there.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Something to keep in mind: we've now been floated as "in the mix" for Beal, Conley, and #4 - some of the most prime assets left on the market.

Some of this is probably coming from the Celtics front office to various media, to convince everyone Ainge is being super-active and tamp down the "Danny blew it by not getting AD" chatter.

So, perhaps best to take these rumors with even more grains of salt than usual.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
That would be great but I hear this every year. My bet is they can't do anything and up picking 3 players 2 of which become stiffs!

Agreed.  Tons of rumors for years before the draft involving the C's.  None have been made.  I imagine the only thing we will see is the C's trading the number 20 pick for a 2021 1st round pick top 14 protected.  That's about all I see going down.  I don't see any players being moved or picked up.  I don't see the C's moving a pick just to move up 2 spots either.  It's draft 3 players or draft 2 with moving a pick to a future year that is lottery protected.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Agreed.  Tons of rumors for years before the draft involving the C's.  None have been made.  I imagine the only thing we will see is the C's trading the number 20 pick for a 2021 1st round pick top 14 protected.  That's about all I see going down.  I don't see any players being moved or picked up.  I don't see the C's moving a pick just to move up 2 spots either.  It's draft 3 players or draft 2 with moving a pick to a future year that is lottery protected.

They pick with 14, move 20 for a future pick and then take some Euro draft and stash with their last pick of the round. Follows Danny's MO.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Maybe throw in a player

Two mid round picks plus the Memphis pick which could be mid to lower end of the lottery.  I am not saying that NOP would do this, but the framework is there for a fair trade.