Poll

Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?

Yes, trade them both for the best offer
6 (46.2%)
No. Must try to resign/extend both
5 (38.5%)
No. But unlikely will be extended after current contract
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would think long and hard about a Zach Lavine and Wendell Carter Jr for Smart and Theis deal.

why would Bulls do that?

Lavine is an all star/all start level player

It would take a healthy Walker if anything. Plus extra due to age difference

How about a more realistic deal for Otto Porter and Carter?

it is...however the salaries don't match.  Celts would be quite a bit short unless it involved including Walker

but then that would be an overpayment

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The problem with Smart is he thinks he’s actually better than he is on offense. I’m sure he doesn’t think he can score like Tatum and Brown but I also think he thinks he’s just a step below them (as opposed to significantly below them, which is reality).

He doesn’t have much burst to get to the rim or elevation to finish over guys and his shot is streaky. After Kemba/JT/JB, I think our best offensive player is Pritchard. Afterwards? You could make the case for Smart or Teague or even Timelord or Semi.

exactly. And there should be no faith that this/his mentality can change

"I'm clutch too!  I made 4 out of 5  threes vs Raptors.  I made that game winning shot 2 years ago.  I have faith in my ability.  'When I take great shots, I'm a great shooter'??"   remember that recent quote

He won't change.  And Brad won't be able to stop him

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I like theis and smart but their minutes need reduced for rob and pp

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I would think long and hard about a Zach Lavine and Wendell Carter Jr for Smart and Theis deal.

why would Bulls do that?

Lavine is an all star/all start level player

It would take a healthy Walker if anything. Plus extra due to age difference

LaVine is an average player on a really bad team.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
trade neither.  none of the 3 you claim are having a resurgence ever had a surge so they technically can't have a resurgence.  Smart and Theis are still better than all 3 of them right now.

a return of Kemba and/or Teague should help address your concerns with Smart.  Theis still knows where to be on D and his shot should come around if they get the ball to him where he's comfortable.  Timelord still spends too much time looking for a block and leaving his man free under the boards.  Semi's looking better this season but we're only a few games in.  Grant needs to do something to get back to where he left off last season because he's looked pretty bad this year.

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Theis? Maybe given the fact he's on an expiring deal and the fact that R Williams seems to be getting it.

Smart? Recency bias, my friend. In the long-run, you need Smart, especially in the playoffs. You don't trade a player like that unless it's in a package for a star.

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
smart was acting like an asshat last night.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
smart was acting like an asshat last night.

Theis also. Both were crying to the refs after PP winning shot

Both at the same time to each ref

Unfortunately I think Smart has flopped/dived too many times in his career.  Hof on shaqtin a fool.  Refs might be instructed to not "fall" for it, unless its a clear cut foul.  Same thing is happening with Kyle Lowry these days

Theis has been complaining/bickering after every single call it feels like. And unfortunately he does deserve some of the missed calls. But the constant crying seems like has the opposite effect.  IF Theis did not constantly complain and just played, I bet he would get more calls
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 03:52:27 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This nonsense targeting of Marcus Smart for criticism needs to stop.

His performances are being detrimentally affected by CBS's terrible lineup decisions that are regularly putting Smart in positions to fail. It is not Smart's fault that his coach is doing this. It is CBS's fault.

If you do not like Smart's performances, blame CBS. Not Smart. You are targeting the wrong guy.

Let Smart play in a lineup with proper spacing, proper ball-handling and proper passing and watch him return to the player we know and love.

Keep Smart in lineups where there is deficient spacing, deficient ball-handling and deficient passing and expect to see more of the same. Playing Smart in lineups where he is clearly the 3rd best offensive player on the court (ahead of Theis & T.Thompson) and forced to make more offensive actions on the floor due to both (a) the limitations of Theis & T.Thompson (b) defenses hounding Jaylen and Tatum and forcing someone else to beat him ... is a recipe for disaster.

This is what CBS is doing. Smart's downturn in performance levels is a result of this. Blame CBS. Not Smart.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I didn't know there was a surgence.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I didn't know there was a surgence.

When was the last time Semi played this well?

Timelord looks much more engaged
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:41:29 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9

His performances are being detrimentally affected by CBS's terrible lineup decisions that are regularly putting Smart in positions to fail. It is not Smart's fault that his coach is doing this. It is CBS's fault.

If you do not like Smart's performances, blame CBS. Not Smart. You are targeting the wrong guy.

Let Smart play in a lineup with proper spacing, proper ball-handling and proper passing and watch him return to the player we know and love.

Keep Smart in lineups where there is deficient spacing, deficient ball-handling and deficient passing and expect to see more of the same. Playing Smart in lineups where he is clearly the 3rd best offensive player on the court (ahead of Theis & T.Thompson) and forced to make more offensive actions on the floor due to both (a) the limitations of Theis & T.Thompson (b) defenses hounding Jaylen and Tatum and forcing someone else to beat him ... is a recipe for disaster.

This is what CBS is doing. Smart's downturn in performance levels is a result of this. Blame CBS. Not Smart.

nope.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Trade 'em both while you still can.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That shot on the last possession is on Smart, not Stevens. Brown was open and available for a pass on the right wing. He was being defended by Tyler Herro, the worst perimeter defender on the Heat and one of the worst in the league. He would have produced a much better shot. He also could have figured out a way to get it back to Tatum. A Tatum 35 footer with Butler defending is probably a higher percentage shot than what Smart did (probably both around 25%).

If I'm an opposing team or coach, I would send Smart's man to double team every time, and then recover with a rotation when Smart gets the ball and drive him off the three point line. A Marcus Smart drive is one of the lowest percentage shots of any starting player in the NBA (outside of a contested three from a non-shooter or something like that).

You could argue that CBS maybe should bench Smart in late-game situations if he insists on offensive possessions like that, but frankly, that's a no-win situation for CBS. I think if you have Smart on this team with this bench, you have to play Smart.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Marcus Smart is the one who knocks...

He's starting at point guard, and you are giving us this list of things he needs to be successful? How about if he just focused on spacing, ball handling and passing himself, like it was actually his job? He's responsible for these deficiencies more than any other player on the team right now.

He can just demote himself to 5th best on the starters, because Theis and Thompson can both give you about what he can, which is taking open shots when his man doubles one of the J's, or by hustling.

All you are arguing is that he isn't worthy of starting. Ok by me.