Poll

Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?

Yes, trade them both for the best offer
6 (46.2%)
No. Must try to resign/extend both
5 (38.5%)
No. But unlikely will be extended after current contract
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Does the resurgence of Timelord, Semi, Grant...make Theis and Smart expandable?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Regarding Marcus Smart:

Still doesn't look like he understands that Tatum and Brown have the best chance to close out games.  Wants a piece of the hero action in tight games.  And nobody can stop him. Brad certainly can't.  We almost lost last night due to Smart airballing one. And then at the last play trying to score against 2 defenders waiting for him.  He thought he got fouled. How many times do the refs actually blow the whistle in that situation??

Countless failed hero ball attempts. For every one he comes through on  (and rarely with less than 5 mins in the game), there are 4 or 5 other failed attempts.   In the playoffs, you know its going to happen...

Semi, Grant are playing very strong basketball these days.  Versatile D and making open 3s.  Understand their limitations.  Lets not forget Langford will be back also.   PP strong play off the bench

Regarding Theis:

Brad Stevens keeps reverting back to Theis late in games.  When the intensity is very high, Theis can't grab a rebound, block a shot,  make a 3 pt shot etc.   I feel bad for him at times vs officiating, but he has to stop complaining to the refs. Last night after the PP game winning bucket, the 1st thing he does is complain to the ref about a play that happened 2 plays ago.    I wonder if his mentality is a little fragile and constant complaining to the refs,  "not fair" attitude is affecting his game.   Whatever the case is,  Timelord is clearly a higher level talent.   And though Theis has a little bit more experience and a tick higher bbiq... it shouldn't mean he should play the important minutes on the court. Timelord stats as of late is god mode. 15 rebounds.  Looking like he can get to the ball whenever he wants to on both ends of the court.  His awareness and engagement in general looks better

These are some trade ideas (only fillers required for salary match purposes)

To Nuggets - Smart, Theis
To Celtics - Harris,  Milsap

To Bulls - Smart, Theis
To Celtics - Markkanen, Felicio

To Wizards - Smart, Theis
To Celtics - Bertans, Lopez 

To Wolves - Smart, Theis
To Celtics - Hernangomez, Okogie, Rubio (traded to a third team for picks)

If you are against trading Smart.  What safety net is there, that he won't be chucking the ball/hero ball in a tight game/playoff game??

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The ball needs to be in Tatums hand before they get to the half court.    With the limited time, the defense was able to prevent that in the half court. 

Smart should not be traded. 

The issue with trading Theis is still Thompson not always playing in back to back games and Rob Williams never making it healthy through a full season.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:58:26 AM by wdleehi »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The ball needs to be in Tatums hand before they get to the half court.    With the limited time, the defense was able to prevent that in the half court. 

The issue with trading Theis is still Thomas not always playing in back to back games and Rob Williams never making it healthy through a full season.

Thomas? you mean Thompson

I mean last night final play. Tatum brings up the ball (like you suggested).  Heat double team/trap him.  Tatum passes to Smart who skips passing it to Brown and instead races to hero land. Against 2 defenders waiting for him

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I have no faith in any of those 3
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What are we getting for them?

Marcus isn’t good as the primary ball-handler / decision maker.  In a secondary role he’s a lot better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

The issue with trading Theis is still Thomas not always playing in back to back games and Rob Williams never making it healthy through a full season.

Thomas? you mean Thompson

I mean last night final play. Tatum brings up the ball (like you suggested).  Heat double team/trap him.  Tatum passes to Smart who skips passing it to Brown and instead races to hero land. Against 2 defenders waiting for him

Fixed.   Thanks.

Also, when Kemba is back, that ball ends up in his hands more often. 

Smart had a bad game.   Still don't see the reason to move him.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
None of those guys have made Smart expendable.  The issue right now with him is offensive role.  That should be remedied to a good extent pretty easily via lineups and the return of Teague.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I'm not trading either of them unless it's part of a deal for an all-star. They are useful roleplayers on reasonable contracts. Just because our depth is good now doesn't mean it will be all season.

Unless we're getting a major upgrade, IMO we stay the course.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think if/when Romeo comes back and continues to improve on both ends, that will determine whether Smart is expendible.

Theis already is expendible, but not sure what the point would be unless to provide salary in a trade, as his trade value is otherwise modest.

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I would think long and hard about a Zach Lavine and Wendell Carter Jr for Smart and Theis deal.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
None of those guys have made Smart expendable.  The issue right now with him is offensive role.  That should be remedied to a good extent pretty easily via lineups and the return of Teague.

I feel like no matter how many times he is spoken to.   Even if Kemba returns.   Even if he is shooting 1-10.  He will gladly keep chucking/hero ball in tight games

Look at the last playoff game vs heat, look at last night..... what has changed?   Other than a dummy foul with 0.1 sec left in the 2nd quarter
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:35:32 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would think long and hard about a Zach Lavine and Wendell Carter Jr for Smart and Theis deal.

why would Bulls do that?

Lavine is an all star/all start level player

It would take a healthy Walker if anything. Plus extra due to age difference

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

After bemoaning the lack of a superstar for 7 years, we finally reached a point where it is clear we have two guys who can assume that role for the foreseeable future. Anyone who can't get behind that has to go. It's really that simple. Walker or Teague cannot fix having a guard in the rotation, who plays in crunch time, who doesn't accept that. Being fiery, or being a great defender isn't good enough, if you don't accept the core team premise, and he doesn't.

This was a significant problem in last year's playoffs and it isn't improving.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

why would Bulls do that?

Lavine is an all star/all start level player

It would take a healthy Walker if anything. Plus extra due to age difference

How about a more realistic deal for Otto Porter and Carter?

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The problem with Smart is he thinks he’s actually better than he is on offense. I’m sure he doesn’t think he can score like Tatum and Brown but I also think he thinks he’s just a step below them (as opposed to significantly below them, which is reality).

He doesn’t have much burst to get to the rim or elevation to finish over guys and his shot is streaky. After Kemba/JT/JB, I think our best offensive player is Pritchard. Afterwards? You could make the case for Smart or Teague or even Timelord or Semi.
- LilRip