Author Topic: Is Vucevic attainable?  (Read 5339 times)

Re: Is Vucevic attainable?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think Terrance Ross is the much more attainable player and better fit on the Cs than Vooch.

Orlando is owned by the super conservative De Vos family - I can't imagine they will be pumped to lose money this year on another bad team. 
Ross is playing lights out this year, scoring 20 pts per game on 50/46/90 splits with a declining salary for two more seasons after this year at 13.5 / 12.5 / 11.5 million.  He would be PERFECT as a microwave scorer off the bench and is only 29 years old. 

Orlando gets meaningful financial relief by moving him and he would fit in easily to the TPE without worrying about the hard cap.  His mid-range salary will help in later years as they manage the luxury tax.
What is Danny sending back? Or maybe he would demand a draft pick lol 😂

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 03:45:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I think Terrance Ross is the much more attainable player and better fit on the Cs than Vooch.

Orlando is owned by the super conservative De Vos family - I can't imagine they will be pumped to lose money this year on another bad team. 
Ross is playing lights out this year, scoring 20 pts per game on 50/46/90 splits with a declining salary for two more seasons after this year at 13.5 / 12.5 / 11.5 million.  He would be PERFECT as a microwave scorer off the bench and is only 29 years old. 

Orlando gets meaningful financial relief by moving him and he would fit in easily to the TPE without worrying about the hard cap.  His mid-range salary will help in later years as they manage the luxury tax.

He's been on fire since midseason last year.  I figured he would tail off some this season when they got all of their parts back, but he has kept it up.
Yup

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 03:57:57 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Depending on Kemba's health of course, would the Magic traded Gordon and Ross for Walker and a pick? Fultz is now out with a torn ACL.

This strikes me as pretty good value for both teams, even if i'm not a big Gordon guy.

I'd rather see the Cs find a true PG if they're going to trade Kemba -- but scouring the league, it's difficult to find a deal for one that makes sense.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 04:22:36 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43

What is Danny sending back? Or maybe he would demand a draft pick lol 😂

It depends on Orlando's motivations, right?  If they want talent, they likely could get a decent package of a player and/or picks from another team, but then they would have to take back near equal salary and so they won't save money.  If they want to cheap out and save cash, Danny can just toss them a second round pick or maybe a heavily protected future first.  There aren't many teams at the moment with cap space or large trade exceptions to compete with.  I suppose another team could offer an expiring and a pick but that won't save them money this year.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 06:06:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Vucevic seems like a floor-raiser, not a ceiling-raiser. In other words, he would help this team through their offensive lulls (especially in the regular season), but I really don't think Vucevic would make us much better against the Sixers, Bucks, Heat, Clippers, or Lakers in the playoffs.

I don't know about that. Offensively, Vucevic is definitely a ceiling raiser. He will enable everyone around him to be their best selves. He will create opportunities for others with his passing, his spacing, his ability to score from anywhere & his ability to attract double teams in the post.

I don't think Orlando would be very interested in trading him at this particular time, but I'd love to have him on the C's.  He's a bigtime threat offensively and I read some stuff recently stating that he's been pretty good defensively to my surprise.  I haven't looked into that.  I think he'd be an enormous upgrade from whoever we trot out at the center position.  He can pass, shoot the 3, averages over 10 rebounds every year.  He would be a huge addition to our team and although he is a much different player, I think he would replace the production that we lost when Hayward left us.

This is what I’m thinking as well. It’s a step down defensively for sure but I think he’s ok on defense and his offense would open up driving lanes like crazy and just being the best shooter on the team.
  Kemba/ smart/ Jaylen/ Tatum/ Vucevic without giving up
Much else ( maybe Theis)  I’d think we’d be an offensive juggernaut
.  Guys like Bam, AD have to actually guard someone. They have that now a bit with Thompson needing to be checked with his board crashing threat . It would be a different look for sure.

Offensive juggernaut = I agree.

That team would be one of the most unguardable groups in the entire league. It would be terrifying to defend against.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Vucevic coming to this team alongside Brown and Tatum would make one of the most unstoppable offensive trios in the game, let alone when Kemba returns. Vuce can pass, shoot, back players down, and is an elite rebounder. He’s not the greatest defender, but his flaws can certainly be covered.

However, I’d want us to try and flip Theis before getting Vuce. He might not even be available.

Echoing the sentiments of others, Terrence Ross would be a great nab for the bench. Lights out shooter 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 07:14:57 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
 :brad would never play vucevic.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Of course he'd play him. Vuc is an all-star calibre player. Don't think he'd be a good fit in our defensive system either, but at the end of the day you gotta play the hand you're dealt. If Danny acquires Vuc, he'll instantly become our starting C.

Echoing the sentiments of others, Terrence Ross would be a great nab for the bench. Lights out shooter
He'd probably be a starter for us (at least till Kemba comes back).

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Of course he'd play him. Vuc is an all-star calibre player. Don't think he'd be a good fit in our defensive system either, but at the end of the day you gotta play the hand you're dealt. If Danny acquires Vuc, he'll instantly become our starting C.

Brad would make him 6th man as long as theis is here.

Remember Brad, Hayward amd theis were all tight.

I genuinly would be surprised if he started vuc

I personally think orlando should tank a year for a top pick.

I would do kemba and neith amd a pick for vucevic and ross.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Brad would make him 6th man as long as theis is here.

Remember Brad, Hayward amd theis were all tight.

I genuinly would be surprised if he started vuc

I personally think orlando should tank a year for a top pick.

I would do kemba and neith amd a pick for vucevic and ross.
I don't understand the point you're making. Hayward was benched his first year back from injury. Theis started last year because he was clearly the best option at C. Of course Vucevic would start if we traded for him.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 03:24:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think Orlando would be very interested in trading him at this particular time, but I'd love to have him on the C's.  He's a bigtime threat offensively and I read some stuff recently stating that he's been pretty good defensively to my surprise.  I haven't looked into that.  I think he'd be an enormous upgrade from whoever we trot out at the center position.  He can pass, shoot the 3, averages over 10 rebounds every year.  He would be a huge addition to our team and although he is a much different player, I think he would replace the production that we lost when Hayward left us.
He's still very much a drop defender who isn't that mobile or long (the best drop defenders are either decently mobile and/or freakishly long), so he would have some pretty big problems against certain teams in the playoffs.
Based on his combine measurements, he's 6' 10.25'' without shoes with a 7' 4.5'' wingspan! That's definitely a long wingspan in my book. But yeah, he ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter.
Oh I didn't know that he was that long. To be fair though the best drop defenders are even freakier than him when it comes to length :laugh::

Gobert - 7'0.25 barefoot with a 7'8.5 wingspan
Embiid - 6'11.75 barefoot with a 7'6 wingspan
Brook - 7'0 barefoot with a 7'5 wingspan

Only exception is Myles Turner, who's 6'11.25 barefoot with a 7'4 wingspan, but he's quite a bit more mobile than Vucevic.

Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 03:25:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Vucevic seems like a floor-raiser, not a ceiling-raiser. In other words, he would help this team through their offensive lulls (especially in the regular season), but I really don't think Vucevic would make us much better against the Sixers, Bucks, Heat, Clippers, or Lakers in the playoffs.

I don't know about that. Offensively, Vucevic is definitely a ceiling raiser. He will enable everyone around him to be their best selves. He will create opportunities for others with his passing, his spacing, his ability to score from anywhere & his ability to attract double teams in the post.

This is what I’m thinking as well. It’s a step down defensively for sure but I think he’s ok on defense and his offense would open up driving lanes like crazy and just being the best shooter on the team.
  Kemba/ smart/ Jaylen/ Tatum/ Vucevic without giving up
Much else ( maybe Theis)  I’d think we’d be an offensive juggernaut
.  Guys like Bam, AD have to actually guard someone. They have that now a bit with Thompson needing to be checked with his board crashing threat . It would be a different look for sure.

Offensive juggernaut = I agree.

That team would be one of the most unguardable groups in the entire league. It would be terrifying to defend against.
Think his passing will determine how much can he raise our offensive ceiling: he'll have to make a lot of quick reads when he has the ball.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 06:15:43 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's kind of weird how it seems that more people were gung ho about Myles Turner than Vucevic.  Vucevic is a legit 20 and 10 guy with 3.5 assists over the last 3 seasons.  Allstar numbers for several seasons.  Turner is a 12 and 6 guy with 1 assist.  Yet Vucevic better make quicker reads or he won't be beneficial?  I don't get it.

Yes, Turner is a better defender and more dynamic.  But at the end of a game Vucevic is the one who will make the plays with consistency.  Any offensive plays that Turner makes is almost a surprise.  Vucevic would be a threat and make the right play all the time.  Posters like Who are always saying we need skilled size and I agree.  Vucevic is super skilled and I think he's exactly what we need.

Right now we really only have two guys that we want to have the ball at the end of the game (maybe Pritchard will get there and Kemba will be back).  Vucevic would be one more guy I'd be comfortable getting the ball and making plays in crunch time.  I think Vucevic would take a lot of pressure off of the other playmakers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:48:03 AM by moiso »

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
It's kind of weird how it seems that more people were gung ho about Myles Turner than Vucevic.  Vucevic is a legit 20 and 10 guy with 3.5 assists over the last 3 seasons.  Allstar numbers for several seasons. Turner is a 12 and 6 guy with 1 assist.  Yet Vucevic better make quicker reads or he won't be beneficial?  I don't get it.

Yes, Turner is a better defender and more dynamic.  But at the end of a game Vucevic is the one who will make the plays with consistency.  Any offensive plays that Turner makes is almost a surprise.  Vucevic would be a threat and make the right play all the time.  Posters like Who are always saying we need skilled size and I agree.  Vucevic is super skilled and I think he's exactly what we need.

Right now we really only have two guys that we want to have the ball at the end of the game (maybe Pritchard will get there and Kemba will be back).  Vucevic would be one more guy I'd be comfortable getting the ball and making plays in crunch time.  I think Vucevic would take a lot of pressure off of the other playmakers.
I have never pined for Turner? I've been on record saying that I don't see him being much of an upgrade on Theis if at all ???

Also the key word for Vucevic is "how much" - our offence will explode by simply having a guy who can shoot, score at volume and pass at the centre position, the question is whether we top out as a "run of the mill" elite offence or an ATG offence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 08:21:11 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
1 thing I would love about having a big man like Vuc, is when the team goes cold from deep (which happens) they have someone on the floor who they can slow the game down and toss it inside to.
'21 Historical Draft