Author Topic: Is Vucevic attainable?  (Read 5342 times)

Is Vucevic attainable?
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I would guess there’s varying opinions on whether it’s a good idea or not but I was curious if people thought that he was attainable with using the TPE and sending parts that wouldn’t take away from us too much. Basically, I’m wondering if anyone thought Orlando would entertain that kind of deal and WITH him here could we challenge for the whole thing? Even without Kemba? Pipe dream?
Thanks.

Re: Is Vucevic attainable?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Do the Celtics really need another C?   

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Do the Celtics really need another C?

You’re right that we’d have too many but I was thinking move Theis for a first . It was a question of does it make us good enough snd does Orlando entertain  the idea. But I think I’m getting you that he wouldn’t be enough.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm OK with Thompson as our starting Center. Wouldn't want us to go after Vuc. He'd be a bad fit in our defensive system.

Imo, we need a pass-first (s)wing to replace Hayward. Preferably a 3+D+pass SF. I really like Tatum at small-ball 4. Most of the times, he's way more explosive than his opponents, which gives him a massive advantage on the offensive side of the ball. Not to mention, he's an elite rebounder at the swing position.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think Orlando would be very interested in trading him at this particular time, but I'd love to have him on the C's.  He's a bigtime threat offensively and I read some stuff recently stating that he's been pretty good defensively to my surprise.  I haven't looked into that.  I think he'd be an enormous upgrade from whoever we trot out at the center position.  He can pass, shoot the 3, averages over 10 rebounds every year.  He would be a huge addition to our team and although he is a much different player, I think he would replace the production that we lost when Hayward left us.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think Orlando would be very interested in trading him at this particular time, but I'd love to have him on the C's.  He's a bigtime threat offensively and I read some stuff recently stating that he's been pretty good defensively to my surprise.  I haven't looked into that.  I think he'd be an enormous upgrade from whoever we trot out at the center position.  He can pass, shoot the 3, averages over 10 rebounds every year.  He would be a huge addition to our team and although he is a much different player, I think he would replace the production that we lost when Hayward left us.
He's still very much a drop defender who isn't that mobile or long (the best drop defenders are either decently mobile and/or freakishly long), so he would have some pretty big problems against certain teams in the playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

This is what I’m thinking as well. It’s a step down defensively for sure but I think he’s ok on defense and his offense would open up driving lanes like crazy and just being the best shooter on the team.
  Kemba/ smart/ Jaylen/ Tatum/ Vucevic without giving up
Much else ( maybe Theis)  I’d think we’d be an offensive juggernaut.  Guys like Bam, AD have to actually guard someone. They have that now a bit with Thompson needing to be checked with his board crashing threat . It would be a different look for sure.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 01:37:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
You'd have to know what Orlando was planning. Are they just trying to make it into the first round of the playoffs? Do they think they had enough upside juice with Isaac, Gordon, Fultz, and Anthony to launch into contender status?

I still don't understand what they are trying to do. I've liked their moves, but at some point, they need to pick a core and direction. Is Gordon-Vucevic their frontcourt of the future? Where does Isaac fit in? What will they do with Fournier? Especially now with Fultz out, how will their offense look without a high-quality drink-stirrer that disadvantages the defense for players like Gordon, Fournier, Ross, and Vucevic?

Vucevic seems like a floor-raiser, not a ceiling-raiser. In other words, he would help this team through their offensive lulls (especially in the regular season), but I really don't think Vucevic would make us much better against the Sixers, Bucks, Heat, Clippers, or Lakers in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
He's still very much a drop defender who isn't that mobile or long (the best drop defenders are either decently mobile and/or freakishly long), so he would have some pretty big problems against certain teams in the playoffs.
Based on his combine measurements, he's 6' 10.25'' without shoes with a 7' 4.5'' wingspan! That's definitely a long wingspan in my book. But yeah, he ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I will be suprised if the Cs have any interest in Vucevic, while he could be a great fit on offense I dont see him providing the defense they will need come playoff time and at 30yrs old on a a 3 yr 26mill deal I dont think he fits cap or time line.

However with the Issac and now Fultz injuries the Magic become likely sellers at or before the trade deadline.

Vucevic, Gordon, Fournier, and Ross all seem like candidates to be moved and the latter 3 would all be nice additions to the Cs current roster. (and any other contenders roster)

Gordon will be the most expensive to obtain given that he is 25 and signed through next season

Fournier will be a FA and this risk of loosing him for nothing might lover his trade cost

Ross is off to a hot 6th man of the year like start 

While I think Gordon is likely out of the price range of assets the Cs have to trade I think Ross and Fournier are viable options who would really improve the roster. In either case I can see the Cs sending Theis to a playoff contender for a protected 1st then flipping that pick and future Celtics pick or picks to the Magic.   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 01:57:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Im sure they " need" Kemba

Danny just needs to explain the terrific value to them  ::)

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
We don't need a C for Kemba. We need a PG for Kemba.

Kemba is a PG in size only. He's a small SG who needs volume shots to be effective, and a poor fit for a team with (now) two other dominant wing scorers.

The Cs could really use a traditional (and good) point guard. PP is an interesting addition, and evidences this fact, but I'd prefer to see him as a 6th man type. 

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Kemba is a PG in size only. He's a small SG who needs volume shots to be effective, and a poor fit for a team with (now) two other dominant wing scorers.

The Cs could really use a traditional (and good) point guard. PP is an interesting addition, and evidences this fact, but I'd prefer to see him as a 6th man type.

He fit pretty well with them last year.   In fact, I think he is important for Brown during those stretches when Tatum is off the floor.  If Brown doesn't force the action to himself, someone like Walker will get him the ball more often in these situations.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

He fit pretty well with them last year.   In fact, I think he is important for Brown during those stretches when Tatum is off the floor.  If Brown doesn't force the action to himself, someone like Walker will get him the ball more often in these situations.

Fine. Walker is good player. My point (and I was agreeing with yours) is that if you're trading Kemba, it should be for an initiator not a center.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think Terrance Ross is the much more attainable player and better fit on the Cs than Vooch.

Orlando is owned by the super conservative De Vos family - I can't imagine they will be pumped to lose money this year on another bad team. 
Ross is playing lights out this year, scoring 20 pts per game on 50/46/90 splits with a declining salary for two more seasons after this year at 13.5 / 12.5 / 11.5 million.  He would be PERFECT as a microwave scorer off the bench and is only 29 years old. 

Orlando gets meaningful financial relief by moving him and he would fit in easily to the TPE without worrying about the hard cap.  His mid-range salary will help in later years as they manage the luxury tax.