Author Topic: Future is NOW! Gimme PP, MS, JB, JT, RW3  (Read 6682 times)

Re: Future is NOW! Gimme PP, MS, JB, JT, RW3
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I’ve seen enough. I’m convinced that the starting five of the future- that starting 5 that will hang banners, is Payton Pritchard, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Timelord. Would love to see more of that and less of 2-big lineups. I get that we may need run a two-big lineup against Miami and Milwaukee, but I think we can just as easily run Marcus or Semi in place of a four out there when we need to.

As long as Kemba isn't available, I think Prichard/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Timelord is actually our best current unit.

The most important thing this season is development and especially some of our unproven rookie contracts (Pritchard, Edwards, Langford, Nesmith, G.Williams and R.Williams) need to show that they can become legit playoff options. Looks like Pritchard and Rob Williams are starting to show that they are building pieces.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
PG - Payton Pritchard
SG - ?
SF - Jaylen Brown
PF - Jayson Tatum
C - Robert Williams

Let's fill that shooting guard void and this team could be the limit!
Smart can play SG :laugh:

Smart is most likely the perfect shooting guard for that lineup.

Need to find a Kemba deal that dramatically improves the bench, need a true blue 6th man.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Imo, the problem with Timelord is he cannot play D on the perimeter. Whenever he's on the court, we have to change our defensive scheme. The way our PnR defense works, Theis/Thompson meet the opposing ball handler at the level of dribble hand off and deny penetration. Timelord ain't got the lateral quickness to stay in front of guards on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. It goes without saying that he's an amazing rim protector!

Our starting lineup is full of versatile defenders: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson. All these guys can switch ball screens on defense.

Our second unit is a whole nother story: Teague, Pritchard, Semi, Grant, Timelord. The only switchable defenders are Semi and Grant. Pritchard and Teague get killed on switches. It makes way more sence to use Timelord alongside these guys and run a drop scheme on defense.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Problem with Timelord is he cannot play D on the perimeter. Whenever he's on the court, we have to change our defensive scheme. The way our PnR defense works, Theis/Thompson meet the opposing ball handler at the level of dribble hand off and deny penetration. Timelord ain't got the lateral quickness to stay in front of guards on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. It goes without saying that he's an amazing rim protector!

Our starting lineup is full of versatile defenders: Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson. All these guys can switch ball screens on defense.

Our second unit is a whole nother story: Teague, Pritchard, Semi, Grant, Timelord. The only switchable defenders are Semi and Grant. Pritchard and Teague get killed on switches. It makes way more sence to use Timelord alongside these guys and run a drop scheme on defense.

If Pritchard is starting though, it makes more sense to start Timelord.

I want to see them both start personally. It will never ever happen as I am convinced Brad will never allow it.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Problem with Timelord is he cannot play D on the perimeter. Whenever he's on the court, we have to change our defensive scheme. The way our PnR defense works, Theis/Thompson meet the opposing ball handler at the level of dribble hand off and deny penetration. Timelord ain't got the lateral quickness to stay in front of guards on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. It goes without saying that he's an amazing rim protector!

If Pritchard is starting though, it makes more sense to start Timelord.

I want to see them both start personally. It will never ever happen as I am convinced Brad will never allow it.
Agreed. That being said, last season we had Kemba, yet we were bringing Timelord off the bench. Likewise, last night we had Waters. I guess CBS thinks we can afford to have 1 non-versatile defender. I mean, you can hide one slow-footed defender. Not sure whether it's possible to hide 2 slow-footed defenders and still run a switch-heavy defensive scheme.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:16:31 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 09:30:49 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
PG - Payton Pritchard
SG - ?
SF - Jaylen Brown
PF - Jayson Tatum
C - Robert Williams

Need to find a Kemba deal that dramatically improves the bench, need a true blue 6th man.

What everybody saw last night was that players that support better ball movement and shooting /spacing work better with Tatum and Brown, even if they are aren't as good.

I hate to say it but Smart and Teague slow the offense and don't provide great spacing. They are both OK but not great 3 point shooters, and they tend to dribble and probe a lot and that stops the ball. Pritchard and Waters keep the ball moving and make quicker decisions. Robert Williams also helps keeping the ball moving too.

I'm hoping Langford can fit that model, and assume the 2 slot. He's not an elite 3 point shooter, but he's not into pounding the rock, and he could be an effective slasher and defender.

Marcus Smart is awesome, but he is horrible for this team's offense because he refuses to adapt his offensive game and probably never will. If he dribbled far less and was more selective in his shots, he'd be the guy, but he doesn't seem able to do that.

Also, my hope is that the team doesn't reinvent itself to accommodate Walker when he returns. I hope we use him as a high volume bench scorer and play him 20 min. The roles of the starters should stay the same. If we got 14 ppg out of him in that role, that would make a big difference.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
PG - Payton Pritchard
SG - ?
SF - Jaylen Brown
PF - Jayson Tatum
C - Robert Williams

What everybody saw last night was that players that support better ball movement and shooting /spacing work better with Tatum and Brown, even if they are aren't as good.

I hate to say it but Smart and Teague slow the offense and don't provide great spacing. They are both OK but not great 3 point shooters, and they tend to dribble and probe a lot and that stops the ball. Pritchard and Waters keep the ball moving and make quicker decisions. Robert Williams also helps keeping the ball moving too.

I'm hoping Langford can fit that model, and assume the 2 slot. He's not an elite 3 point shooter, but he's not into pounding the rock, and he could be an effective slasher and defender.

Marcus Smart is awesome, but he is horrible for this team's offense because he refuses to adapt his offensive game and probably never will. If he dribbled far less and was more selective in his shots, he'd be the guy, but he doesn't seem able to do that.

Also, my hope is that the team doesn't reinvent itself to accommodate Walker when he returns. I hope we use him as a high volume bench scorer and play him 20 min. The roles of the starters should stay the same. If we got 14 ppg out of him in that role, that would make a big difference.

Smart follows the game. He is terrible and excellent at doing that.

When the team is whipping the ball around the court the ball never sticks with him. But when the team is mired in iso basketball he plays iso basketball as well.

I have no problem with smart being a starter in this scenario because PP, Brown and more and more Tatum all like to get the ball moving. Smart will follow suit.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
...or we could wait until some of these guys have played a full season or meaningful mins. in the playoffs before we start hanging their numbers from the rafters.

Jeez it's threads and views like this that just ruin the experience of being a celtics fan. Why can't we just enjoy a players play before we start crowning them? It's really ridiculous.

Hey it turns out Greg steimsma wasn't bill russell...

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I definitely think that PP and Timelord can be part of a very effective 8-9 man playoff rotation.  Not sure about the "starter on a title team" thing.  But I'm very encouraged.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't think Rob can fully handle starting as the sole big. Toronto is a good match-up because their big men all have significant flaws - I would still start Thompson. Better rebounder and screen setter.

However, with how unimpressive Theis has been, I'd be happy for Williams to start eating away his minutes.

Screen setter, maybe. Rebounder? Rob is much bouncier out there. How many rebounds did he have in his 20 minutes? 15? Rob is a better shooter, better at catching lobs, better at passing, better at protecting the rim, and certainly looks like a better rebounder to me.
Rob Williams having one good rebounding game against the lowly Raptors doesn't mean he's better than Thompson, one of the all-time greatest offensive rebounders (8th all time in offensive rebounding %, 36th in general rebounding % ahead of The Admiral and Hakeem) who is a handy defensive rebounder too. TT is also much physically stronger, much more experienced and turns it over less. They're pretty equal in my mind, but given Williams' rawness he doesn't deserve to start.

Williams has averaged 11.8 reb/36 minutes for his career. Thompson has averaged 11.2/36 minutes. Williams gets his in a different way, but he gets them.

Also didn't realize that RWIII has shot over 70 percent from the field in every season (albeit in extremely limited minutes). It really seems like he's our best big right now.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:07 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Right now I cannot see how one could argue that some of the youth should be getting more minutes.

Statistically, Timelord is providing much more than Thompson or Theis. Not to mention he is very young. Get the guy developed as he is a fantastic compliment to the Jay.

IMO, same for PP.

And Nesmith need given some minutes. we all knew he was not going to be up to speed, but he will get there. He is committing and playing hard and its obvious that his legs are lacking right now. Effort is there 100%. I am a firm proponent that 4 or 5 minutes game time is far superior to a full practice.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I definitely think that PP and Timelord can be part of a very effective 8-9 man playoff rotation.  Not sure about the "starter on a title team" thing.  But I'm very encouraged.

consolation prize is a longtime  production off the bench. 

I feel good about

Timelord
GWilliams
Nesmith (hopefully)
Langford
PP

as 2nd unit for years to come. 

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Payton Pritchard is definitely the best Rookie on the team!  He looks better than Nesmith or Langford, the guy just GETS it.

This suggests to me that one of Nesmith or Langford will be expendable.  Could we dangle them as trade bait and add a draft pick to acquire a veteran at the deadline who can help us make a playoff push?

Wet dream: Could we move a package of Kemba Walker, Romeo Langford or Nesmith, and 1st round picks for Bradley Beal at the deadline?

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 03:25:23 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Encouraging, yes but let's see if pp hits the wall or teams actually prepare for him before we start hanging his number from the rafters.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
More fuel for the fire:

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday

Per Cleaning the Glass, with Jayson Tatum and Rob Williams in the game (and no other bigs on the floor), the the Celtics have outscored opponents by 36.7 points per 100 possessions in 139 possessions.