Author Topic: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?  (Read 7887 times)

Re: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
If the Celtics add another wing during the season, and Brown continues to handle the ball as much as he has been so far this season, I think the Celtics will investigate the trade market for Smart.

The Celtics seem determined to play Tatum at the 3 and Brown at the 2 if possible. I think that's what this 2-bigs starting line-up is all about. Brown may start eating up a lot of the minutes at the 2 position, cutting into Smart's minutes once Walker is back.

Smart will be on an expiring contract next season. The Celtics may want to avoid negotiating with him again. It got a little messy last time. He's an excellent trade chip right now.

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Perhaps when Pritchard learns to defend three positions at an elite level this thread will make sense.

I am not advocating for trading Smart, but I do believe Romeo has the potential to at least defend three positions at very good level. It's Romeo, not Pritchard, who has the potential to make Smart a tradable asset...but he has to get healthy stay healthy.

Yup. TP for this

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Why would you want to trade a guy that has so much versatility and is on a team friendly deal? He can cover 1-4 and is top defender in the league. He’s also arguably the heart of this Celtics team. Pritchard looks promising at the PG position, but that’s it. He’s not big enough or strong enough to cover most 2’s. Suggesting trading him, just for the heck of it doesn’t make much sense to me.

It would not be just for the heck of it, I do not want to trade Marcus but we need more offense and Marcus has value, he is a commodity. Do we need Marcus and his poor shot selection or do we need a scorer?  If the right deal comes along?

Kemba is coming back this month? I’m not worried about the offense, the problem is their defense. So trading away your best defensive player, who is leading the Celtics
With 6+ assists per game, and is also arguably the leader of this team doesn’t make sense to me. You have the TPE, no need to move smart. He does too much for the Celtics.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2021, 07:36:20 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't think Danny Ainge will ever trade Marcus Smart. Maybe when he's in his 30s and past his prime.

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think Danny Ainge will ever trade Marcus Smart. Maybe when he's in his 30s and past his prime.

Depends what the asking price is after next season

If Smart is looking for north of 17m per season.... can't see him brought back

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
With PP’s play I’d say we are more likely to say goodbye to Kemba than Smart. I don’t think either is likely though.