Author Topic: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?  (Read 7891 times)

Pack your bags Marcus Smart?
« on: January 01, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
With the ascension of Payton Pritchard it's time to ask the question...

What do you hope to get in return in the inevitable Marcus Smart?

Re: Pack your bags Marcus Smart?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:50:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perhaps when Pritchard learns to defend three positions at an elite level this thread will make sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:51:56 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
You know what? You're right. Let's trade Smart for Hayward  ;D
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Why would we trade the best guard defender in the league on a bargain contract? ???
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 12:05:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Perhaps when Pritchard learns to defend three positions at an elite level this thread will make sense.

I am not advocating for trading Smart, but I do believe Romeo has the potential to at least defend three positions at very good level. It's Romeo, not Pritchard, who has the potential to make Smart a tradable asset...but he has to get healthy stay healthy.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Smart is not our PG. He is our SG.

Pritchard's ascension does not adversely effect Smart's future here. It will allow Smart to be his best self by playing more minutes at SG next to a ball-handling guard instead of at PG next to low level ball-handling wings.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:14:52 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
the ball movement with Payton on the floor is clearly better.  But Marcus is an incomparable defender.  The question is,  how does Brad play them both. with our current team, we desperately need another scorer.  The starting lineup of Thompson, Theis, Tatum, Brown & Smart has 2 scorers and 3 non-scorers, each has no real offensive game.   How do we get the needed scoring?  Could we trade Smart for that player?  Tatum and Brown cannot be expected to bring what is needed from them every night.  Even though Gordon was way over paid and we only needed him now and then -  there were nights when we needed him, and those nights are still out there - we need another scorer!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:20:19 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With the ascension of Payton Pritchard it's time to ask the question...

What do you hope to get in return in the inevitable Marcus Smart?
No

If any of the vets is traded 1st, it would be Kemba

I actually dig Smart and PP out on the floor at the same time.

Smart has been good as a C&S player

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Don’t you think Kemba’s health will decide whether we keep Smart?
Kemba at 100% may make Smart trade-able. That and Nesmith ,if he becomes a player.
It would break my heart to lose Smart but if he brought us a legit 4 it pushes Brown into the backcourt full time. That would create a log jam with JB, Kemba, PP ,Teague and Maybe Romeo.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

I am not advocating for trading Smart, but I do believe Romeo has the potential to at least defend three positions at very good level. It's Romeo, not Pritchard, who has the potential to make Smart a tradable asset...but he has to get healthy stay healthy.

I mean, yeah, Romeo did do better and impressed with his defense at the end of last year. But it seems crazy to me that at this point we're even talking about or even realistically considering Romeo - a guy not know for his defensive prowess coming into the league and who only showed defensive promise in a handful of games last year - as a potential replacement for the best and most versatile guard defender in the league and one of the best overall perimeter defenders in the league.

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

This is the correct take. I’d also add: when Pritchard becomes the emotional leader of the team.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 02:19:03 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Imagine if Smart mentors Prichard on defense. He definitely has the desire to succeed judging by his hustle. Perhaps he is humble enough to learn.

As mentioned they fill distinct roles. Pritchard would be backing up / replacing Kemba if things work out. Tatum is shaping up to be our 4, Brown as 3 and Smart as 2 as our long term players.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pritchard is more of Teague replacement next year.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 02:33:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Very weird take considering they play different positions and have different strengths
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I mean, yeah, Romeo did do better and impressed with his defense at the end of last year. But it seems crazy to me that at this point we're even talking about or even realistically considering Romeo - a guy not know for his defensive prowess coming into the league and who only showed defensive promise in a handful of games last year - as a potential replacement for the best and most versatile guard defender in the league and one of the best overall perimeter defenders in the league.

I definitely wasn't trying to make that point (notice how Roy said 'elite' for Smart and I said 'very good' for Romeo). I was more pointing out that Pritchard's ascension to legendary status has nothing to do with Smart. However, a similar trajectory by Romeo could make the loss of Smart more bearable if a trade opportunity arose or if his next contract is out of reach for the Cs.