1 (2.6%)
Jaylen Brown
7 (17.9%)
Kemba Walker
3 (7.7%)
Nobody
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: If the Celtics decided to name a captain, who should it be?  (Read 3272 times)

Re: If the Celtics decided to name a captain, who should it be?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, the team's last captain, Rajon Rondo, was a bit of a disaster, so maybe they shouldn't name one. I think a case could be made that anyone of the four could be that guy, therefore, maybe Stevens could be reluctant to name any of them.

Out of the four, I think Kemba, Smart and Brown are probably the most natural leaders. Kemba might not be here past this contract, which probably rules him out. So between Smart and Brown, I am not sure which would be better.

Lol  :D Nick - president of the Jaylen fan club - just can’t seem to decide between Jaylen and player X.

I definitely go with nobody on this one, though. Too many chances for guys to feel slighted.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Well, the team's last captain, Rajon Rondo, was a bit of a disaster, so maybe they shouldn't name one. I think a case could be made that anyone of the four could be that guy, therefore, maybe Stevens could be reluctant to name any of them.

Out of the four, I think Kemba, Smart and Brown are probably the most natural leaders. Kemba might not be here past this contract, which probably rules him out. So between Smart and Brown, I am not sure which would be better.

Lol  :D Nick - president of the Jaylen fan club - just can’t seem to decide between Jaylen and player X.

I definitely go with nobody on this one, though. Too many chances for guys to feel slighted.

FACT THAT Nick cannot decide between Brown and Smart throws it to Smart in my opinion. By the way Brown's nickname may soon become 'money' if he continues at this rate,

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Smart is immensely important to this team and his leadership on the court is evident. He is THE on the court, coaching voice as the defensive QB. His emotion drives this team through important, tough times in games and during the season. A captain doesn't have to be a team's best player.

I see how Brown stood up for his younger team mates when Kyrie threw them under the bus and how he stood up to Smart urging him to chill when Smart went ballistic in last season's playoffs and think that shows the type of leadership this team needs. Add in he is a NBPA VP and his leadership for his team, league, hometown and race he showed on the social issues of this past summer, and it shows he could be that guy. Clearly, Jaylen's piers see him as a leader.

And as Roy said, Kemba is the vet guy everyone goes to for advice, encouragement and direction. He has every right to be considered too. I dismissed him because I would think the team would want a captain to be someone that started with the team and has the opportunity to be here a very long time. Kemba doesn't fit into either of those categories.

So yeah, I think it would be tough to choose. Smart has seemed like the heart and soul of this team for many years but this team will be Jaylen's and Jayson's team going forward.

It's not easy to select one of them.

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 05:11:47 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I believe Brad inherited Rondo as captain.  After Rondo departed, Brad said he doesn't believe in captains, all seventeen players lead in their own way or develop these skills over time.

As long as Brad is coach and has anything to say about, I would not hold my breath for a captain being named.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 10:25:30 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
In the words of the peasant Dennis in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

"I told you. We're an narco-syndicous commune. We take it in turn, to act as sort of an officer for the week--"
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2021, 12:45:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I'm the only one that voted for Tatum.  Strange. 

It definitely shouldn't be Smart.  The man that can't figure out he shouldn't shoot the ball so much, shouldn't be the captain of anything. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 04:29:07 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Went with the boring vote and said Nobody. A captain strikes me as someone you will follow into war and you’re happy living and dying with their decisions. Pierce was a deserving captain. Rondo as well for his time here. Most recent player I wouldn’t have minded being named captain would’ve been IT4.

But right now? No one on this team deserves that title, imo. I’m surprised Smart has so many votes tbh lol I mean, I understand that the guy is the heart of the team and he brings unbelievable passion to the game. But I’d say that inspires others to play harder rather than providing any actual leadership.

- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:05:39 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Went with the boring vote and said Nobody. A captain strikes me as someone you will follow into war and you’re happy living and dying with their decisions. Pierce was a deserving captain. Rondo as well for his time here. Most recent player I wouldn’t have minded being named captain would’ve been IT4.

But right now? No one on this team deserves that title, imo. I’m surprised Smart has so many votes tbh lol I mean, I understand that the guy is the heart of the team and he brings unbelievable passion to the game. But I’d say that inspires others to play harder rather than providing any actual leadership.

I agree

This team is playing like crap.

Ja Morant plays for Memphis and we could have lost that one too guaranteed.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
How about we name more than 1 captain? Fon instance, the C's had 3 captains in 1997/98.

(click on image to enlarge)

If we had to name a captain, I'd choose both Tatum and Brown. They are the future of our team. We did the same thing in 2000 with Pierce and Toine. Hopefully, they'll both become better players than Toine. :P
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:50:52 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2021, 11:40:45 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
What exactly is the role of captain?   Once that’s clarified maybe who it should be becomes clearer.

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:56 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Personally believe the title of Captain should always go to the most senior starter (or 6th man) on any team as a sign of respect for past contributions (most senior defined as most years with the club, or in certain situations such as a aging HOFer who has been with the club a number of years recently). If only a year or two separates the most senior vets, have co-captains. This approach also avoids unintentionally rubbing some folks the wrong way (e.g., “why’s he captain instead of me?” Because he’s paid more dues, son...your turn will come someday if you keep it up). The role of the captain is simply to pay respect for past contributions. Some captains may lead vocally, but all lead by example at the very least by demonstrating how they managed to stick around for so long.

Using the above approach, Smart is our captain. I suspect this is primarily why he is leading the poll ahead of “nobody,” Brad’s preference for not having a captain (and, coincidentally or not, aligns with Ainge’s utter lack of respect for past contributions, which is amusing when you consider our last title was in 2008...)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:06:00 PM by GreenlyGreeny »