Author Topic: Why did we draft Nesmith again?  (Read 19714 times)

Re: Why did we draft Nesmith again?
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Semi is a defensive utility wing who is nice to have for match-ups vs big scoring wings. On high level playoff team he should be just outside the playoff 8-9 man rotation. Grant unless he starts really shooting the ball is probably the 9th man in a playoff rotation.

I would say he's nice to have specifically to deal with big scoring wings who aren't very good at shooting (i.e. Giannis and Simmons).  He's good at getting between his man and the basket and being part of a defensive scheme that "builds a wall" to make it hard for a guy to get clean lanes to drive.

Against bigger wings who can score from outside, it's pretty easy to just shoot over him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2020, 04:41:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nesmith will be ok.

Pritchard ($2M), according to the stats is the #2 rookie for 3PT% behind Wiseman ($8.7M).

Of all da dwaft pix you wanted...every binky everywhere "Mr. 26th pick" just chucks 30 footers like it's another day at the office?

Pacer's put a guy on a rookie at the 3pt line in his third game?

You actually care for half a second about Nesmith when Pritchard just catches and chucks it in like he's playing Washington freakin State?

Do you know how many draft picks we've whiffed on? You dedicate a whole thread to one that hasn't played yet?

Ainge got three high draft picks in the last six years and THEY ALL START and two of them can shoot....ok?

We might have a third one that can shoot now. There should be a party or something.

The kid just stands in front of the scorer's desk and chucks it in and we're talking about Nesmith?

We gotta clean shot at a 450 foot home run here and we're wishing Nesmith was out there?

Put a Celtic's hoodie on Pritchard, give him a handful of tickets and put him down by the Garden on game night...he looks like every kid from southie making a couple bucks...but HE CAN SHOOT in NBA games!

Do a thread on all the kids that proved they COULDN'T shoot.

So I will wade through all the gibberish in this post and ask if this is what you mean.

We have pritchard who is good so who care about nesmith not playing?

Did you wven read my original post? I stated why not have drafted pp at 14? Or traded 14?
Hostilities between you aside(and I hope you guys get a bit more civil) I'ld like to take a stab at your question Darth.

If you know you have found a gem that everyone has as a 2nd round pick and you know you can get him at #26, why would you take him at 14? The most intelligent move is to take a guy with high upside and that is rated highest on your board of available players after 13 picks and nab that gem at 26. Otherwise you get that gem at 14 and are selecting from a smaller pool of quality players that are available after 25 picks. You most likely miss out on Nesmith and are taking a lesser prospect.

But, might not this question be better off being asked much farther down the line. Bradley and Rozier were selected in that area of the draft and barely played their rookie years. But both developed and turned into high level starters. It's only been three games in a season with a Summer League, training camp or extensive preseason. We shouldn't expect really anything from the rooks. Whatever they give is a bonus and, let's be real, Pritchard doing what he is doing is the exception this year, not the rule.

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Great little video showing us fans why Nesmith is not getting regular minutes, yet. Defense is about the little things. Split second reactions. Leaning one way too far. Failing to talk.

He will get there. I like him a lot. I'm cheering for the kid. I like his work ethic and I think he is really intelligent, but he just needs more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWAOnfpcwA

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2020, 08:01:39 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Maybe DA drafted him so he’d have a reason to fire Brad (routinely not playing deserving players)

If you’re Wyc and Danny comes to you saying let’s fire Brad, you do exactly what Red did to Danny when Danny suggested trading Larry: You tell Ainge he’s finished and allow him to choose to save face by “retiring.” Then you hire Popovich to be GM and Honorary Assistant HC. Then the sparks fly.

Danny is the most overrated Celtic of all-time. If not for drafting Jayson, he’d be gone. If not for hiring Brad, he’d have been gone by the time we could draft Jayson. If he had not traded for KG, he’d have been fired in 2008.

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2020, 08:23:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Because it was the lion's day off? Oh wait...

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2020, 08:26:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Maybe DA drafted him so he’d have a reason to fire Brad (routinely not playing deserving players)

If you’re Wyc and Danny comes to you saying let’s fire Brad, you do exactly what Red did to Danny when Danny suggested trading Larry: You tell Ainge he’s finished and allow him to choose to save face by “retiring.” Then you hire Popovich to be GM and Honorary Assistant HC. Then the sparks fly.

Danny is the most overrated Celtic of all-time. If not for drafting Jayson, he’d be gone. If not for hiring Brad, he’d have been gone by the time we could draft Jayson. If he had not traded for KG, he’d have been fired in 2008.

looks like Danny did a good job by planting all those ifs.

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

LOL
_ he drafted Tatum as the consensus went to Fultz and Ball in 1 and 2. So he cheated Philly and took away a first more
_ He took Brown as they were many debate with Bender, Dunn or Hield...
_ He find a good rate of correct to good role players with mid-late first picks.
_ he didn't hesit to press the all in button in 2008 or the reset button in 2013. Both were great decisions.
_ he brought Stevens who will be an all time Celtics coach and the Doc who was perfect for the team we had.

Yes I know he prefered Olynik than Giannis... But this is a teleologic thinking. He has been a great GM so far, only problems are his health and the fact that other GM are maybe mefiant with him now (and that he is maybe more mefiant to).

And to come back to the subject I think Nesmith will be another good pick to put on Danny good choices

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 08:45:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Great little video showing us fans why Nesmith is not getting regular minutes, yet. Defense is about the little things. Split second reactions. Leaning one way too far. Failing to talk.

He will get there. I like him a lot. I'm cheering for the kid. I like his work ethic and I think he is really intelligent, but he just needs more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWAOnfpcwA
Semi, GW, TL, PP, Teague and TT are all guilty of the same offensives very often too. They are still getting playing time. Even JB had multiple miscues this year to start. You do at least see Nesmith pick a guy up. In some of those plays there isn't communication from the back to tell him to go switch. You can't just switch when you are on your man and you don't see a back screen coming. Half of those are communication and scouting. To start the year it's impossible not to mess up a few times.

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Nesmith will be ok.

Pritchard ($2M), according to the stats is the #2 rookie for 3PT% behind Wiseman ($8.7M).

Of all da dwaft pix you wanted...every binky everywhere "Mr. 26th pick" just chucks 30 footers like it's another day at the office?

You actually care for half a second about Nesmith when Pritchard just catches and chucks it in like he's playing Washington freakin State?

Do you know how many draft picks we've whiffed on? You dedicate a whole thread to one that hasn't played yet?

Ainge got three high draft picks in the last six years and THEY ALL START and two of them can shoot....ok?

We might have a third one that can shoot now. There should be a party or something.

The kid just stands in front of the scorer's desk and chucks it in and we're talking about Nesmith?

We gotta clean shot at a 450 foot home run here and we're wishing Nesmith was out there?

Put a Celtic's hoodie on Pritchard, give him a handful of tickets and put him down by the Garden on game night...he looks like every kid from southie making a couple bucks...but HE CAN SHOOT in NBA games!

So I will wade through all the gibberish in this post and ask if this is what you mean.

Did you wven read my original post? I stated why not have drafted pp at 14? Or traded 14?
Hostilities between you aside(and I hope you guys get a bit more civil) I'ld like to take a stab at your question Darth.

If you know you have found a gem that everyone has as a 2nd round pick and you know you can get him at #26, why would you take him at 14? The most intelligent move is to take a guy with high upside and that is rated highest on your board of available players after 13 picks and nab that gem at 26. Otherwise you get that gem at 14 and are selecting from a smaller pool of quality players that are available after 25 picks. You most likely miss out on Nesmith and are taking a lesser prospect.

But, might not this question be better off being asked much farther down the line. Bradley and Rozier were selected in that area of the draft and barely played their rookie years. But both developed and turned into high level starters. It's only been three games in a season with a Summer League, training camp or extensive preseason. We shouldn't expect really anything from the rooks. Whatever they give is a bonus and, let's be real, Pritchard doing what he is doing is the exception this year, not the rule.
-

I am fine with PP and am happy with his selection.

But if you are going to pick a player with a lotto pick you have to give them minutes consitantly. When is the last time a lotto pick got to be a good player/difference maker by practicing with the team and not getting playing time.

Nesmith needs minutes, I have said it before, game time minutes are more than twice as effective as practice minutes imo.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2020, 09:24:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Nesmith will be ok.

-

But if you are going to pick a player with a lotto pick you have to give them minutes consitantly. When is the last time a lotto pick got to be a good player/difference maker by practicing with the team and not getting playing time.

Nesmith needs minutes, I have said it before, game time minutes are more than twice as effective as practice minutes imo.

I disagree every player is different you have to bring the player along at his pace. You can really screw up a players mental development if you rush him.

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

100%. If Ainge hadn't done any of the good things he's done, he'd have done only bad things.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nesmith will be ok.

-

I disagree every player is different you have to bring the player along at his pace. You can really screw up a players mental development if you rush him.
Exactly.  I'm pretty high on Nesmith but I don't think he needs minutes at all.

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Most lottery picks aren’t drafted by teams that made the conference finals.

Looking at this year’s lottery, Okora, Okongwu, Hayes, Tobin, Smith, Vassell and Lewis Jr. all have struggled mightily at times.  It’s likely that all would be getting very few minutes on a serious playoff contender.  Other guys who fans like such as Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton and Saddiq Bey have all sucked too.

All busts, or are we perhaps 5% through a season with no NCAA tournament or summer league, and a very abbreviated training camp and preseason?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2021, 08:33:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

100%. If Ainge hadn't done any of the good things he's done, he'd have done only bad things.

Haha - exactly what I was going to say. He only made a series of a good decisions. If he made bad decisions instead, he would be fired.

And too many people completely ignore the fact that we had an all-out perennial Title contender going into 2017. 5 minutes into that season, everything changed and Danny has actually been able to pivot to yet another very promising position. If any other team has the injury woes the Cs had with their max veterans - and then loses all of them within two years - they would be totally sunk. Plan A didn't work out, but we have a pretty decent Plan B.

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Most lottery picks aren’t drafted by teams that made the conference finals.

Looking at this year’s lottery, Okora, Okongwu, Hayes, Tobin, Smith, Vassell and Lewis Jr. all have struggled mightily at times.  It’s likely that all would be getting very few minutes on a serious playoff contender.  Other guys who fans like such as Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton and Saddiq Bey have all sucked too.

All busts, or are we perhaps 5% through a season with no NCAA tournament or summer league, and a very abbreviated training camp and preseason?

You are right, drafting in the lotto and being a good team is rare.

But you atill need to get minutes for the playet you draft.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic