Author Topic: Why did we draft Nesmith again?  (Read 19712 times)

Re: Why did we draft Nesmith again?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
His cool name ?   ;D

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Because we lost out on Tyrese Halliburton and Deni Avdija, just like we drafted Langford because we lost out on Herro.

At least Ainge got one of his targets in Pritchard this year.

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
To kick names and take ass
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Our 26th pick is playing minutes every game, our 30th pick (bane) is playing in Memphis.

Why didnt we just trade pick 14 and keep PP and Bane?

Or why didnt we just draft PP at 14?

PP was a 4 yr starter and is 3 months older then Tatum. Nesmith played 1yr and 10 games of college basketball.  PP is a little more ready to play then Nesmith.  Nesmith has work to do on D.  Once he's capable there he will be on the court.

This 100% this.  Nesmith needs just needs to learn nba level def and he will get minutes.  So much over-reaction to 3 games into the season.  He is a young kid, and he didn't get much if any training camp - preseason.  People need to have some patience with young players.  He has shown he can stroke the ball, he will get his chance.

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why do people feel Nesmith should be playing? Was there something in the extremely limited minutes in preseason ball that showed he was worthy of minutes, because I sure as heck didn't see it.

Nesmith hadn't played organized basketball at any level in about a year. He played limited minutes in two preseason games and didn't look good defensively and looked like maybe he needed some adjustment to the speed of the game and the length of the NBA three pointer.

This wasn't a high quality draft. Nesmith in most other years is getting picked in the low to mid 20's. He is a project. Expecting him to be playing rotational minutes now is simply unrealistic. Getting angry over his lack of minutes through 3 games in a season without Summer League, training camp and only two preseason games is fairly ridiculous, IMHO.

Kid will get his shot.....when he shows he is worthy of minutes and not before. And, it appears he isn't worthy quite yet.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Because we lost out on Tyrese Halliburton and Deni Avdija, just like we drafted Langford because we lost out on Herro.

Gonna be another Terry Rozier. I hope not another James Young.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Gonna be another Terry Rozier. I hope not another James Young.
Terry is balling now. We can only hope he becomes as good

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why do people feel Nesmith should be playing? Was there something in the extremely limited minutes in preseason ball that showed he was worthy of minutes, because I sure as heck didn't see it.

Nesmith hadn't played organized basketball at any level in about a year. He played limited minutes in two preseason games and didn't look good defensively and looked like maybe he needed some adjustment to the speed of the game and the length of the NBA three pointer.

This wasn't a high quality draft. Nesmith in most other years is getting picked in the low to mid 20's. He is a project. Expecting him to be playing rotational minutes now is simply unrealistic. Getting angry over his lack of minutes through 3 games in a season without Summer League, training camp and only two preseason games is fairly ridiculous, IMHO.

Kid will get his shot.....when he shows he is worthy of minutes and not before. And, it appears he isn't worthy quite yet.

I think it's simply that it's frustrating for the team to use a 1st round pick, rather than use it in a trade, only for the guy they pick to not play.

Last year we had the 14th pick as well, and that guy hardly ever played last year, largely due to injuries.  To be honest I try not to think about Romeo Langford very much because if I do I realize that it's pretty frustrating to use a late lottery pick on a guy who basically has almost no chance to even get on the court for the first 1.5 seasons of his career, and may not be in a position to make a contribution in the second half of this season, either.

Robert Williams, the 1st round pick in 2018, has played about 700 total minutes of regular season ball through his first 2 seasons and change. 

Of course, as you point out, rookies often don't contribute early on in their careers.  I think that's easier to swallow when the team is deep and healthy.  Harder to square when it feels like the team has dealt with a lot of injuries and the depth has not always been super great.  That's when you hope for young, cost-controlled first round draft talent to make a contribution.

Place all of that in the context of some of our rivals getting major contributions from guys they selected in the mid-late 1st (or undrafted), especially Miami w/ Bam, Herro and Robinson, on top of the fact that we hear so many rumors about Ainge refusing to include 1st round picks in trade talks, and it's understandable why people get angsty about our rookies / young guys.

I think you're right that the smart thing is to just set your expectations to zero for any guy drafted outside the top 10 or so. 

Still, that's hard to do when it feels like the success of the team really depends a great deal on a few of these picks turning -- rather quickly -- into valuable supporting players.  It's hard to chart a path to this team becoming more than just a second tier contender if none of the young guys turns out to be a major steal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Our 26th pick is playing minutes every game, our 30th pick (bane) is playing in Memphis.

PP was a 4 yr starter and is 3 months older then Tatum. Nesmith played 1yr and 10 games of college basketball.  PP is a little more ready to play then Nesmith.  Nesmith has work to do on D.  Once he's capable there he will be on the court.

This 100% this.  Nesmith needs just needs to learn nba level def and he will get minutes.  So much over-reaction to 3 games into the season.  He is a young kid, and he didn't get much if any training camp - preseason.  People need to have some patience with young players.  He has shown he can stroke the ball, he will get his chance.

I agree about his defense. Laterals, reach, and length are really good; gets caught flat-footed but that’s fixable, and they like his work ethic.

Really pure jump shot; but in addition he showed some post game, some stuff off the dribble, finishing through contact, and a teardrop in the lane in preseason. He used a sidestep right on both sides of the floor and I did not see a sidestep left.

His competition is Langford and even Edwards, not Grant and Semi. His shot and his length are advantages in this competition.

This team needs a +.400 3-pt shooter; looks like Danny Ainge might just have drafted two of them.

I for one believe in the NBA talent of Langford and Edwards; let the competition for those roster spots begin.

Someone made a remark about Pritchard’s low ceiling; a few more performances like what we’ve been seeing from him so far might make us revise his ceiling upwards. It apparently  will take longer with Nesmith, but there’s a spot for him that’s there for the taking.

I’m not ready to predict rotation minutes for him this season, but he’ll get plenty of court time. Fans tend to overvalue a player’s scoring, especially when other players are given the bulk of the shots. Even shooting (though it’s the most important skill) is often overvalued. The game is basketball, not HORSE. But Nesmith looks like he could become one of the top shooters in the league.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Nesmith will be ok.

Pritchard ($2M), according to the stats is the #2 rookie for 3PT% behind Wiseman ($8.7M).

Of all da dwaft pix you wanted...every binky everywhere "Mr. 26th pick" just chucks 30 footers like it's another day at the office?

Pacer's put a guy on a rookie at the 3pt line in his third game?

You actually care for half a second about Nesmith when Pritchard just catches and chucks it in like he's playing Washington freakin State?

Do you know how many draft picks we've whiffed on? You dedicate a whole thread to one that hasn't played yet?

Ainge got three high draft picks in the last six years and THEY ALL START and two of them can shoot....ok?

We might have a third one that can shoot now. There should be a party or something.

The kid just stands in front of the scorer's desk and chucks it in and we're talking about Nesmith?

We gotta clean shot at a 450 foot home run here and we're wishing Nesmith was out there?

Put a Celtic's hoodie on Pritchard, give him a handful of tickets and put him down by the Garden on game night...he looks like every kid from southie making a couple bucks...but HE CAN SHOOT in NBA games!

Do a thread on all the kids that proved they COULDN'T shoot.

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol its the new shiny toy for the Cs.

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I posted this elsewhere, they must be seeing something in training camp that we are not, on the outside as we are. As fans on the highlights we saw of him on YouTube we all thought he would be a ready made Kyle Korver gunner who would shoot 50% from 3 right from the start. Of course fans always think they know everything there is to know about a player based on the little that we actually see, that's why we're called fans  :angel:

Maybe he's slow at picking up the defensive sets or has some defensive or workrate issues, that's usually the main reason that Stevens sits players. Maybe they've seen something that they think needs more work.

Also keep in mind Kemba is out, when he is back in Pritchard's minutes will likely drop.

Even if he is slow in defensive rotations get him in the game for 5 or 6 minutes.

Im a fi believer that 50 in game minutes will teach as much as 200 practice minutes.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 09:48:09 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Semi has played 18  12 and 10 minutes in each game so far and nesmith, a lotto pick this year and no doubt a player who was picked to have a big impact on the team moving forward played 8 mijutes in garbage time in a blow out.

Seems like brad views semi as the better player than dannys lotto pick. That bad.

Perhaps if nesmith was from indiana he would get more playing time
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 01:47:09 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
you can tell how Brad hates the number 14.

last year Langford was a bust due to no playing time/ injuries

this yr Nesmith is bypassed in favor of Pritchard...why I guess he just hates 14th picks.

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 01:51:50 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

We might have a third one that can shoot now. There should be a party or something.

The kid just stands in front of the scorer's desk and chucks it in and we're talking about Nesmith?

We gotta clean shot at a 450 foot home run here and we're wishing Nesmith was out there?

Put a Celtic's hoodie on Pritchard, give him a handful of tickets and put him down by the Garden on game night...he looks like every kid from southie making a couple bucks...but HE CAN SHOOT in NBA games!

Do a thread on all the kids that proved they COULDN'T shoot.

Brilliant, and talking sense. I laughed out loud. TP.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021