Author Topic: Is Brad Stevens the problem?  (Read 29435 times)

Re: Is Brad Stevens the problem?
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
On offense also giving Irving a free pass ....  Brad didn't see Irving get picked on, on D end.... when he was a Celtic??

just no game plan to go after him.  From the post or PNR action

He is an ok defender and can be exposed. But has been let off the hook twice now.   

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
So now people are going to panic?

people over-react on a game by game basis here. we beat the Bucs possibly #1 or #2 in the east (OMG we are still here!) then we lose to the Nets who will be #1 or #2 in the east and its (OMG we are horrible blow it up!)

We lost Hayward and Kemba is out for awhile. thats about 37points in production that is out the window. That means Brown/Tatum have to be ON every night and you need a guy like Smart or Teague who dont have the talent of upper two to put up 20points. Its going to be tough...

once Kemba comes back if he is healthy we should look much better. Also need danny to target another scoring option with the Trade exception he got to replace haywards production.

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So now people are going to panic?

people over-react on a game by game basis here. we beat the Bucs possibly #1 or #2 in the east (OMG we are still here!) then we lose to the Nets who will be #1 or #2 in the east and its (OMG we are horrible blow it up!)

We lost Hayward and Kemba is out for awhile. thats about 37points in production that is out the window. That means Brown/Tatum have to be ON every night and you need a guy like Smart or Teague who dont have the talent of upper two to put up 20points. Its going to be tough...

once Kemba comes back if he is healthy we should look much better. Also need danny to target another scoring option with the Trade exception he got to replace haywards production.

You think this is a situation issue?  You haven’t been watching Celtics for very long then

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  One thing I knew I could 100 percent count on is some people here announcing how other people overreact so they can portray themselves as more sensible. Gimme a break.  ::)

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
We can only use the ECF argument for so long. Brad has been coaching this team for almost a decade now. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for the first 4 years but he and Danny needs to be held accountable for shortcomings now that they are contenders.

Let's not be satisfied with Conference Finals participation trophies. Van Gundy was fired by Riley when even though he made the ECF in 2005 with him coaching the team. Vogel also made the ECF multiple times. He can be b
Brad is not the only problem here, don't get me wrong. We need to straightenetter than those guys.
 up the players with their bad habits too.

that is the coach's job.

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
I’ve been a huge fan and supporter of brad stevens, and quite frankly still am. However I am starting to wonder if at least in part he has a role in not being able to get over the hump in some of these games/seasons.
Still unacceptable not to make the finals last year with no giannis In the picture and no nets, never mind fans or travel...if they couldn’t do it last year I just don’t see it happening with this core/coach

« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I don't think Brad Stevens is the reason the C's haven't won a championship since 2008 and why it seems that winning one this season is unlikely.   I think there are 2 primary reasons the C's have been 2nd tier contenders. 

1. Unlike the Nets, the Bucks, The Lakers, The Clippers...  the Celtics do not have a top 5 (ish) player on their roster (yeah, Lakers have 2).  Tatum is considered by some to be close to breaking into the top 10, but he's not quite there yet .  NBA teams simply do not win titles without a top 5 (never mind without a top 10) player.  It's happened (2004 Pistons; maybe 1989 and 1990 Pistons) but rarely.

2. The C's have lost 3 very productive players in the last 2 seasons.  This means that before strengthening a nearly "ready" roster, they need to replace the lost assets first.  Danny's had to do this with the loss of Al Horford and the loss of Kyrie and this year with the loss of Hayward.   

So maybe Stevens doesn't use his timeouts all that well.  Maybe the offense doesn't operate as some here think it should.  But before Stevens gets blamed for not winning a championship, I'd look at not having top talent as the primary reason.  Next, I'd look at the C's being unable to build upon their roster instead of replacing lost key assets.

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Ainge need to take blame here too.  He had drafted terribly.  I was good with brad building a young team but ainge has given him nothing but projects.  Draft after draft of guys at the same position and no position of need.

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2020, 08:03:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ainge does deserve some blame, of course. This offseason was the first in a long time where I thought he properly addressed the need for some veterans via free agency. Tristan Thompson & Jeff Teague getting minutes instead of Wanamaker & whoever would have had us in the Finals last season.

However, I've long had a suspicion that Brad might just not be the guy to get us to a title. Someone a year or two ago compared him to Del Harris, the LAL coach before Phil Jackson, and it has absolutely stuck with me. Del Harris was a solid coach. He won Coach of the Year, had a 66% winning percentage (higher than championship coaches John Kundla & Bill Sharman) and was in the NBA for decades. However, he simply could not get that Lakers team to the promised land. Along came Phil Jackson, and lo and behold championships came flooding in and Kobe developed into an all-time great.

Maybe we need our own Phil Jackson... Not sure who fits that bill. Pop?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:58 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge is the problem

After 2 games your again without veteran bench leadership despite Walker being out

Ainge is afraid to make a deal it’s proven

Exactly what proof can you point to of Ainge being "afraid"?

Leonard
Lost Irving for nothing
Now Harden?

You had 3 number 1 picks to deal this past draft for veteran bench depth zero trades

Shall I go on?

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ainge is the problem

After 2 games your again without veteran bench leadership despite Walker being out

Leonard
Lost Irving for nothing
Now Harden?

You had 3 number 1 picks to deal this past draft for veteran bench depth zero trades

Shall I go on?
This isn't evidence of anything at all actually.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2020, 08:39:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge does deserve some blame, of course. This offseason was the first in a long time where I thought he properly addressed the need for some veterans via free agency. Tristan Thompson & Jeff Teague getting minutes instead of Wanamaker & whoever would have had us in the Finals last season.

However, I've long had a suspicion that Brad might just not be the guy to get us to a title. Someone a year or two ago compared him to Del Harris, the LAL coach before Phil Jackson, and it has absolutely stuck with me. Del Harris was a solid coach. He won Coach of the Year, had a 66% winning percentage (higher than championship coaches John Kundla & Bill Sharman) and was in the NBA for decades. However, he simply could not get that Lakers team to the promised land. Along came Phil Jackson, and lo and behold championships came flooding in and Kobe developed into an all-time great.

Maybe we need our own Phil Jackson... Not sure who fits that bill. Pop?

Ainge draft evaluation (overall) has been unreliable

He missed on Clarke, Bazely, Dort (undrafted) last season alone

I like Gwilliams but he would have been there in the 2nd round

Celts have had the most draft picks in the last 5 years. With only Tatum and Brown to show for it (for now)

« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
The problem is Ainge. Trading IT was a huge hit to our reputation. Then he failed to keep Kyrie happy when he was ready to re-sign after his first season. Now it seems like Kemba was playing hurt when he should not have, just like IT before him, and for all we know every player on the team does not see themselves as a member of the team when you consider that Ainge only sees “assets” and “liabilities.” If I were a player under this GM, I’d be in CYA mode 24/7/365 and not take risks with my health.

« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Ainge is the problem

Leonard
Lost Irving for nothing
Now Harden?

Shall I go on?
This isn't evidence of anything at all actually.

What were the deals that Ainge was offered but didn’t make?

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Start the freaking clock danny.