Author Topic: Is Brad Stevens the problem?  (Read 29423 times)

Re: Is Brad Stevens the problem?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2020, 12:40:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
We are 2 preseason games into the new season and we already talking about this is Brad's last season in Boston.

This.   The presumption here is that there is a problem.  If I didn't think that the "problem" conclusion is at least somewhat based on 2 preseason games I might react differently.  This team needs to get a little time with its starters actually playing - then see what Theis/TT, Teague, Nesmith, PP, GW, RW bring off the bench.  I admit I'd have loved to see another veteran shooter on this team, but I think there's a lot to look forward to this season. 

C's have a tough early schedule after only 2 preseason games and may look bad early on (especially since they won't have Kemba or TT) -- but they'll be competitive in this conference and will have some flexibility to add to their roster.

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
core issue is we need REAL STARs ....like Lakers to win crowns ..otherwise the celtics team is just an exercise in feel good emotions .    You gotta put your big boy pants on and ask the dream girls out , and expect alot of rejection and disappointment along the way.

He has yet to prove he can do the Doc Rivers job or coaching the stars ....major sucking up .

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
3 ECF trips out of 4 years with teams that shouldn’t have gone that far in the playoffs and our coach is the problem?

Next thread.

12 years no championship...10 years no appearance in the NBA finals... lets not get complacent, and at least try to get better. I am not saying Brad IS the problem, but everything has to be on the table including a close examination of the coaching.

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
No. Unrealistic fan expectations for a good but not great collection of talent is the problem

I agree with this post, Cs are fifth in talent or maybe 6th in the east. They should aslo look at the coaching staff as a potential problem if the drafted players are not developing.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
No. Unrealistic fan expectations for a good but not great collection of talent is the problem

I agree with this post, Cs are fifth in talent or maybe 6th in the east. They should aslo look at the coaching staff as a potential problem if the drafted players are not developing.
Or maybe it is the guy drafting the players.  Hasn't done much with the later picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Nailed it. Last year's team was projected to be a 1st-2nd round exit at the start of the season.

Also **** at Brad would pick Theis over durant

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nailed it. Last year's team was projected to be a 1st-2nd round exit at the start of the season.

Also **** at Brad would pick Theis over durant
Yeah, people thought we were destined to be a 40-45 win team after losing Horford, Kyrie, Mook and Rozier. We exceeded expectations once again, we were just cruelled by yet another Gordon Hayward injury.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

We need a new coach
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:11 PM »

Offline Yonkers332

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Nobody improves on  this team with current coach.  Tatum and Brown improved after summer with team USA coached by Popovich.  But look at the rest they don't ever improve.  Robert Williams three years later the same player. Has no idea.  Semi.  Same bad player.  Javonte same.  Carsen  Edwards worse.  Grant Williams still can't shoot.  Smart still doesn't know when to shoot.  Is there one player that has progressed?

Re: We need a new coach
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nobody improves on  this team with current coach.  Tatum and Brown improved after summer with team USA coached by Popovich.  But look at the rest they don't ever improve.  Robert Williams three years later the same player. Has no idea.  Semi.  Same bad player.  Javonte same.  Carsen  Edwards worse.  Grant Williams still can't shoot.  Smart still doesn't know when to shoot.  Is there one player that has progressed?
Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Kelly Olynyk, Evan Turner, Terry Rozier, Tyler Zeller, Aron Baynes, Marcus Morris and Daniel Theis would all like a word with you. All have improved under Brad Stevens.

Established All-Stars in Kyrie and Horford also had career-best years under him. Further, to attribute Tatum and Brown's growth to playing on a terribly woeful Team USA squad is ridiculous.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 12:22:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
3 ECF trips out of 4 years with teams that shouldn’t have gone that far in the playoffs and our coach is the problem?

Next thread.

12 years no championship...10 years no appearance in the NBA finals... lets not get complacent, and at least try to get better. I am not saying Brad IS the problem, but everything has to be on the table including a close examination of the coaching.

Right.  Brad's closest NBA coaching comp is Mike D'antoni. 

Nice guy, runs a system and doesn't have the ability to deviate from it.  Consistently makes stars out of guards. Always looks great in the regular season, always falls short in the playoffs. 

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
few years ago we had the same talk about Doc....

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
few years ago we had the same talk about Doc....

and....?

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think BS out coaches Doc any day.  No way Doc could have taken the Cs to three EC Finals without at least one top 10 players on the roster.

....and I am giving Doc a pass for having two series loses being up 3-1

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 04:42:18 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Next thread.

Right.  Brad's closest NBA coaching comp is Mike D'antoni. 

Nice guy, runs a system and doesn't have the ability to deviate from it.  Consistently makes stars out of guards. Always looks great in the regular season, always falls short in the playoffs.

Always runs a system? It’s hard to argue that Boston’s 18-19 system was the same as the 19-20 system; they were utterly different - but based on the strengths of the different personnel he had available.

It’s equally hard to agree with your ‘always falls short in the playoffs’ argument, since making the conference finals three out of four years with massive personnel turnover and younger players playing key roles would seem to be a decisive argument for coaching effectiveness.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yes.