Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179411 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i just purchased the book "Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions"

i'm extremely excited to go a read it.

three cups of tea is also a great book if you're into current events.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Book 1 of "A Song of Ice and Fire"

This is the first book in whats turning into the best high fantasy series ever written in my opinion.  HBO just bought the rights to these and have agreed to essentially 7 seasons of episodes.  Book 5 of the series comes out at the end of this year.

This book is dark, gritty, for adults only, and completely breaks the mold as far as high fantasy goes and disregards all other formulaic methods that so many fantasy authors have fallen into.  It's very long has a million characters and many plot lines going on at the same time all inside a vast and believable world.

PS: Don't bother with Jordan's "Wheel of Time", that series blows compared to ASOIAF.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:25:52 PM by incoherent »

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
i just purchased the book "Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions"

i'm extremely excited to go a read it.

three cups of tea is also a great book if you're into current events.

Sounds like Predictably Irrational is along the lines of Anthony Robbins material? Which I highly recommend.

I also recommend The Master Key System by Charles Haanel. Very good for self improvement and it works. I have created a positive energy about myself that deflects negative nellies like you wouldn't believe and with each week's exercise create more and more opportunities. It's the best $7 you will ever spend.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 05:23:11 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
My 2 cents here ....

I won`t mention books about politics, religion , history etc to avoid any misunderstandings , only fiction books

For Tolkien fans anything by Gavriel Guy Kay would do. I`ve read Lions of Al Rasaan , Tigana(2 books) and Sarantine Mosaic (3 books, 21st century`s Lord of Rings) and i enjoyed every single one.

I finished in one reading Stephen Pressfield`s Gates of Fire. 50% fiction - 50% history. It`s about the battle in Thermopylae (the movie 300 anyone?)
In the same style is The Eight by Katherine Neville. Fiction and French revolution in a nice mix. Although i "saw" Neville`s trick half way through the book it was a nice reading.

Lately i`m reading a book about Game theory and what J. Nash has brought in the field but i can`t remember the english title nor the author
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:40:49 AM by ederson »

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
you want to read a book that will explain why we are in the mess we are in?  Then go read "confessions of an economic hit man".  You won't get very far into the book before you say "Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., my country is doing that?"

It has been on the NY best seller list for a long time by the NY Times refuses to review it because it is an explosive tell all.

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Empires of Light; Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World. Well written, fascinating subject.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just recently read "A Wolf at the Table" by Augusten Burroughs.  It was incredibly well written, and very intense.  I definitely recommend it, if you don't mind being a little depressed.

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Tartuffe by Moliere

The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare

Master Harold...and the Boys by Athol Fugard

Medea by Euripides

Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska

Mostly classic types of literature, Medea is a Greek play, Bread Givers deals with an immigrant Jewish family and their day to day problems in coming to America, Master Harold deals with aparthied and South Africa.  Good reads, all of them.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 11:55:58 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy seems to have universal appeal.  It is being made into a movie, go read it before you go see it!

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
been hitting up the NY Times best sellers for a while, 4 that i reccommend are:

-Rat Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.s
Really well articulated story centered around Whitey Bulger's protege; the kid ended up being one of only a few who did the time they deserved.

-A Death In Belmont
Sebastian Junger gets into the controversy surrounding the Boston Strangler and how racism played a part in sending an "innocent" man to jail.

-Playing For Pizza
Kind of a fun read.  A professional football player basically chokes his career away and is forced to accept an offer to play in Italy.

-The World Without UsAn incredibly interesting take on what the world would look like if humans suddenly vanished.  Author backs it up with a ton of scientific fact and foresight - if you don't mind working your way through a few wordy/technical chapters you'll be rewarded with some astonishing insight.

Question: has anyone read Can I Keep My Jersey? by Paul Shirey? I'm holding out for that as my next read...looking for a review.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2008, 01:59:11 PM »

Offline professorperkins

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 10
Question: has anyone read Can I Keep My Jersey? by Paul Shirey? I'm holding out for that as my next read...looking for a review.

Yes. It's a very fun and easy read. If you've read his mini-columns on ESPN.com, you'll probably finish this book in a day or two. It's funny to think that there really isn't much separating a guy like Paul Shirley and a guy like, say, Mark Madsen talent-wise, but one gets to be in the NBA while the other one has to play in Europe and worry about not getting paid and whatnot.
"Chicks dig the offensive rebound." - Max

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Empires of Light; Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World. Well written, fascinating subject.

have you read the book / watched the movie "the prestige"?  just curious...this part of history is a part of the story.  read the book and watched the movie - great stuff.  appreciate you sharing this book. :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I really like "Larry Bird Drive: The Story of My Life"
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy seems to have universal appeal.  It is being made into a movie, go read it before you go see it!/quote]

I am a college kid and i don't read many books.  We were required to read this book for our western civilization final exam.  The book is incredible and definitely the best book i have ever read.  Its written by the same guy who wrote "no country for old men".  You have to read it before the movie comes out.  I was able to sit down and read the whole book in one sitting because it is so intense.   

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
crap i gotta figure out how to do this whole quote thing ::)