Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 120723 times)

Re: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8wccld/wojnarowski_the_lakers_feel_like_we_arent_going/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8weew5/michael_c_wright_lakers_are_not_kawhis_preferred/

Jerry West will swoop in. Mark my words.

The Lakers are content with being relevant. That was the driving force behind their motivations.

Helps the Clippers pick if that happens.  I’m rooting for it.

Yeah, I don't know if the Clippers have the assets for it but if he goes there instead of to the Lakers and then helps the Clippers pick to convey as a first, win-win for the Celtics.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8wccld/wojnarowski_the_lakers_feel_like_we_arent_going/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8weew5/michael_c_wright_lakers_are_not_kawhis_preferred/

Jerry West will swoop in. Mark my words.

The Lakers are content with being relevant. That was the driving force behind their motivations.

Helps the Clippers pick if that happens.  I’m rooting for it.

Yeah, I don't know if the Clippers have the assets for it but if he goes there instead of to the Lakers and then helps the Clippers pick to convey as a first, win-win for the Celtics.

Don’t know either, but Tobias Harris, SGA, Jerome Robinson and a future pick gives them two rookie lottery picks and a solid starter, while matching salaries and not taking on bad long-term salary.  Can’t do such a trade until August, because the two rookies are under contract, but it makes the Spurs a better team this year than the Lakers offer.

« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Amid all the debates/discussions/arguments, I think we can all agree on this:

This Kawhi saga as a whole is getting extremely annoying  >:(

Just in general. I don't mind him not wanting to come here, not at all, but just overall it's all getting ridiculous.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I was monkeying with shamsports calculator.

This is the copy/paste of the moves I made for the Lakers to get this roster:
Starters: Rondo-KCP-James-Leonard-Love
Bench: Anthony-Wade-McGee-Stephenson-Wagner-Vet Min-Vet Min-Vet Min-Vet Min

They'd still need a vet min guys (Booker? Mbouh a Moute? West? Beasley? Crawford? Napier? Lopez? Larkin?

I don't think that's a championship team, but I do think it can make some noise.

1. Signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to 1yrs/$ 12,000,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Non-Bird Exception
2. Renounced $ 33,963,525 2018-19 cap hold for Brook Lopez
3. Renounced $ 14,099,733 2018-19 cap hold for Channing Frye
4. Renounced $ 12,447,727 2018-19 cap hold for Julius Randle
5. Renounced $ 11,896,651 2018-19 cap hold for Isaiah Thomas
6. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Travis Wear
7. Renounced $ 1,349,383 2018-19 cap hold for Andre Ingram
8. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Metta World Peace
9. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Thomas Robinson
10. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for Alex Caruso
11. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for Gary Payton II
12. Signed Rajon Rondo to 1yrs/$ 9,000,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Cap Space
13. Signed LeBron James to 4yrs/$ 153,312,848 contract starting in 2018-19 using Cap Space
14. Re-signed Moritz Wagner to 4yrs/$ 9,881,019 contract starting in 2018-19 using Rookie Scale Exception
15. Signed Dwyane Wade to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 10-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
16. Signed Carmelo Anthony to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 2-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
17. Signed JaVale McGee to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 2-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
18. Signed Lance Stephenson to 1yrs/$ 4,449,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Room Mid-Level Exception
19. Traded Luol Deng, Kyle Kuzma, and Lakers 2019 First Round Pick for Kevin Love
20. Traded Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Ivica Zubac, and Lakers 2021 First Round Pick for Kawhi Leonard

« Reply #1024 on: July 06, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Kawhi apparently might sign a deal with Philly next summer. Only Eastern team he would consider.  Does Philly step up now?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1025 on: July 06, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What is the protection on the Clipper pick.

and

Why does it always seem that we have a Clipper pick?

« Reply #1026 on: July 06, 2018, 10:45:01 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
What is the protection on the Clipper pick.

and

Why does it always seem that we have a Clipper pick?

Lottery protected each of the next two years. If we don't get the pick in either of those years, we get a second.

Because, well, they're the Clippers, and we rock.

Mike

« Reply #1027 on: July 06, 2018, 10:54:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Kawhi apparently might sign a deal with Philly next summer. Only Eastern team he would consider.  Does Philly step up now?

Leonard is there for the taking anyways.

As long as PHI is willing to give up Fultz, Saric, salary + pick(s), they can get him.

And no, SAS is NOT accepting Saric + Covington + pick(s) package. Highly doubt it.

« Reply #1028 on: July 07, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Would the Spurs have interest in taking IT in a s&t? That could help make the deal happen without including Deng. Still difficult but something around Thomas, Ingram, Kuzma might be possible.

« Reply #1029 on: July 07, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
76ers Considered Only East Team Kawhi Leonard Would Re-Sign With

While the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are Kawhi Leonard's preferred teams if he is traded by the San Antonio Spurs, he would consider the Philadelphia 76ers.

"I want to add clarity to that," said Chris Haynes on The Jump. "Los Angeles are his preferred destinations. He will consider Philly. That's the only Eastern Conference team he would consider if they're able to put a package together."

The Boston Celtics have interest in Leonard, but he reportedly doesn't have interest in re-signing with that franchise if he's traded there.

The 76ers are believed to be keeping Markelle Fultz off limits in trade talks with the Spurs.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/15203328

« Reply #1030 on: July 07, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

While the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are Kawhi Leonard's preferred teams if he is traded by the San Antonio Spurs, he would consider the Philadelphia 76ers.

"I want to add clarity to that," said Chris Haynes on The Jump. "Los Angeles are his preferred destinations. He will consider Philly. That's the only Eastern Conference team he would consider if they're able to put a package together."

The Boston Celtics have interest in Leonard, but he reportedly doesn't have interest in re-signing with that franchise if he's traded there.

The 76ers are believed to be keeping Markelle Fultz off limits in trade talks with the Spurs.

I would LOVE to know WHY he would NOT re-sign in Boston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #1031 on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Smitty77

Some players honestly could care less if they win or not. Obviously if he wants to leave the Spurs that's strike 1. Doesnt want to go to Boston where he would have a great chance to consistently win. Strike 2. Apparently doesnt want to play with the greatest player since Jordan. Strike 3. I personally have very little interest in a player if they dont care about winning situations.
#JKJB

« Reply #1032 on: July 07, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Smitty77

Some players honestly could care less if they win or not. Obviously if he wants to leave the Spurs that's strike 1. Doesnt want to go to Boston where he would have a great chance to consistently win. Strike 2. Apparently doesnt want to play with the greatest player since Jordan. Strike 3. I personally have very little interest in a player if they dont care about winning situations.

Looking at things more fully, Kawhi's already a Finals MVP. He has a ring. He's a multiple Defensive Player of the Year winner, All-Star, All-NBA player. He's accomplished a ton on the court, but he hasn't been able to translate that success into off-court branding. Jordan Brand offered him significantly less during his most recent sneaker negotiations than his peers ($20 million. Comparatively Kevin Durant got $300 million from Nike). He doesn't have any flashy endorsements like Paul George with Gatorade or Kyrie Irving with Pepsi. His team seems to think that's because he's in a small market (I think it has more to do with his personality - Kyrie built a global brand in the middle of Cleveland, pre-Lebron, but I digress), and moving him to a bigger market will help him.

Now when you look at markets and basketball fits that make sense, his team preferences make sense. LA is a huge market, so either team works. But he prefers the Clippers now because he can be the "man" there. Lakers are and will be Lebron's team. Philly isn't a huge market like New York or even Chicago, but it's a step up from San Antonio as that's an up and coming team and it actually gives him a pretty good shot at winning. Yes, he'd join a team with 2 young stars but he'd clearly by that team's best player. Boston doesn't make a ton of sense because Kyrie is here and Kyrie is going to get a ton of attention marketing wise. He's already a Nike signature athlete, he has his own movie. He's going to get a ton of attention.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1033 on: July 07, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think he's trying to go to a big market where he can be the big face in town. Possibly to get a big shoe deal or endorsements

« Reply #1034 on: July 09, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
So now Toronto is "generating buzz" as a team that could trade for Kawhi.

With Lebron leaving the East, Toronto may continue to "go for it". That said, they probably also might have doubts about a DeRozan/Lowry back court going forward. The report says they may trade one of the two + pick(s) + young piece for Mills and Leonard.

I wouldn't mind that. Toronto IMO (stubbornly) has to do something and that could include gambling on a rental. Meanwhile, it's good for us because I still think we can beat TOR, but more importantly it keeps him away from PHI.