Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49743 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
so now we are extending it to 40 (even though by your own count Lebron would be 38).  And why would they need an entire career uninjured.  A freak injury that a player recovers from, isn't any where near the same type of thing you are talking about. 

But yeah, there are countless players that played into their late 30's uninjured.  Havlicek, for example, played 34 mpg in all 82 games when he was 37 and then retired.  Chamberlain at age 36, played 43 mpg in all 82 games and then retired (he led the league in rebounding that final year).  He had the season where he played in just 12 games, but otherwise was mostly a machine.

Actually, you extended it to 40 when you started naming some statistical outliers and tried to frame it as if a lot of players make it to late 30s/40. I'm really not sure how this is complicated. The expected result of LeBron James is to greatly decline by 35 years old. If I'm wrong, it's not because I'm an idiot. He just beat the odds. If I'm right, it's not because you're an idiot. This isn't really something to argue about. It's a "statistical fact" based on a lot of data.

If you want something that we can argue about, I think that we can already see signs of decline now in the sense that he doesn't play defense anymore and takes off plays on offense. Yeah he can put up a bunch of points, but he will be exposed in the playoffs when you can't take plays off and getting blown out isn't someone else's fault.

« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Here's a few data points on Philly's record and ratings since January 1st, from my boss, who is an annoying Philadelphia 76ers fan: "

"Since January first, the Sixers are 29-11. They have an offensive rating of 10th at 109.3.  They have the 2nd best Def rating at 100.8.  Their net rating of 8.5 is first. 
That is 60 win pace since January 1st." 

« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Here's a few data points on Philly's record and ratings since January 1st, from my boss, who is an annoying Philadelphia 76ers fan: "

"Since January first, the Sixers are 29-11. They have an offensive rating of 10th at 109.3.  They have the 2nd best Def rating at 100.8.  Their net rating of 8.5 is first. 
That is 60 win pace since January 1st."
I believe they've had the easiest schedule in the league over that time period, but still very very impressive.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2018, 08:03:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
so now we are extending it to 40 (even though by your own count Lebron would be 38).  And why would they need an entire career uninjured.  A freak injury that a player recovers from, isn't any where near the same type of thing you are talking about. 

But yeah, there are countless players that played into their late 30's uninjured.  Havlicek, for example, played 34 mpg in all 82 games when he was 37 and then retired.  Chamberlain at age 36, played 43 mpg in all 82 games and then retired (he led the league in rebounding that final year).  He had the season where he played in just 12 games, but otherwise was mostly a machine.

Actually, you extended it to 40 when you started naming some statistical outliers and tried to frame it as if a lot of players make it to late 30s/40. I'm really not sure how this is complicated. The expected result of LeBron James is to greatly decline by 35 years old. If I'm wrong, it's not because I'm an idiot. He just beat the odds. If I'm right, it's not because you're an idiot. This isn't really something to argue about. It's a "statistical fact" based on a lot of data.

If you want something that we can argue about, I think that we can already see signs of decline now in the sense that he doesn't play defense anymore and takes off plays on offense. Yeah he can put up a bunch of points, but he will be exposed in the playoffs when you can't take plays off and getting blown out isn't someone else's fault.
So you’re saying that getting blown out, if it happens, will be Lebron fault?  What kind of twisted logic is that?  Five lebrons, even at this age, would be the greatest one man team you could make. That team would have it all.  You can’t say that about any other player ever.

« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cj-mccollum-lebron-james-sixers-030018161.html

Wait and see, unless Cavs get miracle top draft choice like before, he will go to Philly. Still his best chance at string of multiple title visits to continue.

Ohio fans seem to think he has gotten Cleveland the title and is free to leave again to chase titles. They dont seem to think he is resigning and many I know are not renewing season tickets until the dust settles. They have been getting lots of calls to renew now!

« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Wait and see, unless Cavs get miracle top draft choice like before, he will go to Philly. Still his best chance at string of multiple title visits to continue.

Ohio fans seem to think he has gotten Cleveland the title and is free to leave again to chase titles. They dont seem to think he is resigning and many I know are not renewing season tickets until the dust settles. They have been getting lots of calls to renew now!

Are we really posting an opinion from CJ Mcollums podcast as some sort of news on this? Jeez it feels like people on this board are praying he goes there.

« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Are we really posting an opinion from CJ Mcollums podcast as some sort of news on this? Jeez it feels like people on this board are praying he goes there.

I am definitely not praying he goes there but when I see an opinion from someone who is not a fan and in the league, I figured why not share. His opinion probably has more validity then ours as it is his profession.

I for one, want him in out west. I would like to see him only in the finals vs our team. But stopping him from getting there would be fun as well.

« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

So you’re saying that getting blown out, if it happens, will be Lebron fault?  What kind of twisted logic is that?  Five lebrons, even at this age, would be the greatest one man team you could make. That team would have it all.  You can’t say that about any other player ever.

Does he Beat five Durants or 5 Giannis' or 5 Kawais?

« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yes.  At least right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Without question.  Lebron can play 1-4 at ELITE levels and he’d be a serviceable center.  None of those other guys can play PG at as high a level (or at all).  None of those guys have the vision either.

« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I just don't buy that math, because the math isn't based on someone like James who has generally been healthy.  If you look at players of similar health, they tend to stay of similar health even when they get old.   They might suffer a serious injury, like Kobe, and it is harder to return from those when they are older, but players don't go from 75+ games to playing 60 games from wear and tear (maybe their final season at 40 or so that happens).  The vast majority of players that play well past 35 generally play similar amounts of games most of those seasons (obviously they aren't as good and their minutes are lessened).  A guy like Shaq, that was always missing games, will miss more games when he is older, but that is his history. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The more I watch the Sixers, the more I start to think that adding Lebron might actually not be a wise move for them.

I mean yeah, on paper you'd easily pencil them in for the Finals, and maybe even a Banner.

But Simmons NEEDS the ball to do what he does, and I really don't think relegating him to just standing in the corner to catch-and-shoot is really going to help him grow. He's a transcendental talent in the making, and if you put Lebron there, I'm just not that sure if Lebron and Simmons can co-exist.

Maybe it's just me though...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wouldn't be to scare of Lebron joining this Sixers team. Fultz/Simmons/Lebron all need to have the ball in their hands to be useful. None of them especially Simmons are spot up shooters. Lebron shoots better from the out side than he use to, but I still rather have him take 18+ footers than drive to the basket. Simmons the same, and Who knows with Fultz right now, probably should just foul him every time.

They wouldn't be able to spread the floor well. Not like how Boston will next year. With Tatum and Brown shooting so well, they could kill teams who double who's driving to the hoop with kick outs.

« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The more I watch the Sixers, the more I start to think that adding Lebron might actually not be a wise move for them.

I mean yeah, on paper you'd easily pencil them in for the Finals, and maybe even a Banner.

But Simmons NEEDS the ball to do what he does, and I really don't think relegating him to just standing in the corner to catch-and-shoot is really going to help him grow. He's a transcendental talent in the making, and if you put Lebron there, I'm just not that sure if Lebron and Simmons can co-exist.

I am starting to think it wouldn't be great either for Philly..

« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

your right on .....Lebron is too controlling of the overall game,  he is not satisfied with playing one postion and taking the most shots ....he wants to control the entire game.....and refs  .   He wants to make GM decision s, coach during game ,  rule off the court ..... he makes it hard to fit in with other alpha players .   Everybody on any team he joins has to be willing to submit to his dominating ego, take a back seat .  In Lebrons mind he does not want any coach who is smarter than himself ....it kills his ego , to take orders.   It also appears if you are not HIS pal ,  then forget making any headway in your career.