Author Topic: Lebron Defenders  (Read 3474 times)

Lebron Defenders
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This thread is about Lebron Defenders

Similar to Gary Tanguay I have a gut feeling we will see Cavs in the Eastern Conference Finals. And it got me thinking do we have anyone that can guard the "King", or is there someone not in our roster that can guard Lebron James. Remember how teams had a designated Shaq defenders, now its mandatory to have a Lebron defenders. We are well prepared for Orlando, but not for Lebron & the cavs. The name that I came up with is Corey Maggette.

Don't know if he is attainable. But what do you think if he wore green next season? Would he fit? The reason I thought about Corey was because only a few guys can match Lebron's strength & physicality and Corey is one of them. You might disagree, I just don't think Pierce can guard LeBron One on One. I know Corey's contract sux, but remember Corey is a 20point scorer. My only concern would be health in 10 seasons Corey never played a full season. Last year he missed 31 games due to injury.

Share your thought and make a suggestions.

Re: Lebron Defenders
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Pierce and TA can handle him well enough. We'll see who else we can add. Our strength in stopping him always lies with our bigs anyways, and putting guys between him and the basket.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
My only concern would be health...

I'll add another concern: Maggette has a history of being an awful (and often disinterested) defender.

While I understand what you're saying about his physique, and there's always a chance that bringing a guy into the Celtics' system (given Thibs, Doc and certain teammates) would motivate said individual to up his commitment at the defensive end, Maggette would be one of the last names on any list I would compile of players with whom to guard LeBron James.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think Pierce will be fine covering Bron Bron. If you really think about it the way the C's take them on is to trap him and not go 1 on 1 two much. They funnel him away from the basket and give him the jumper from 18 feet. So I am not to worried about who will cover him. They should worry about who's gonna cover Rondo KG Ray Hill Sheed Perk. and on and on. NO FEAR HERE.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Well, when it comes to LeBron, I think what you have to worry about more than anything is his driving ability, his ability to get to the hoop.  So as far as defending him, I think it's more important to have a solid defensive inside than it is to have a really good wing defender on him at all times.

We are going to have one of the best - if not the best - defensive front courts in the league next season with KG, Perk, and Sheed (all known as very good defensive players).  So let's say Pierce and Grant Hill are all we have to cover LeBron.  As long as KG, Perk, and Sheed are healthy, I'm not so worried.  

Defend the basket well enough and LeBron has to shoot a lot of jumpshots.  He'll make plenty of them, but it will limit him significantly.  That's all we have to do to beat the Cavs.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
how about if we get BBD back?  

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No one can shut down Lebron, but Pierce can stay with him fine. With a legit backup like Hill, Pierce can also go all out on defense.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
Also we have to remember we are gonna have established Vets gaurding him so he should'nt get to many cheep foul calls. What am I saying this is the NBA. If you Kobe or Lebron no on can defend you in Sterns and his refs eyes. Still not worried. C's in 6. BOOK IT

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
No one can shut down Lebron, but Pierce can stay with him fine. With a legit backup like Hill, Pierce can also go all out on defense.

I have to agree, LeBron is the man.  Period. 

but, I am liking our team better.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The post should be "Celtic Defenders"

Who can stop KG, Pierce, Allen, Sheed and either Rondo, Hill or Eddie House?  Who do they double?

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
The post should be "Celtic Defenders"

Who can stop KG, Pierce, Allen, Sheed and either Rondo, Hill or Eddie House?  Who do they double?

According to Shaq they will double no one. Good luck with that Shaq.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Best of the best -- Ron Artest, Paul Pierce ... then Shane Battier and Marvin Williams. I think those are my favourite defenders on LeBron.

Pietrus did a pretty good job on him too, Luol Deng has also done good work on James at times but not consistently. Anyone else?

None of those guys are really acquirable though.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I just wish the Celtics would scrap the TA experiment and get a guy that can really play.  His spot needs to be upgraded imo.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
I just wish the Celtics would scrap the TA experiment and get a guy that can really play.  His spot needs to be upgraded imo.

Are you kidding me how can you not love mr.allen and his constant biteing on up fakes from 3 point land. I would love to get rid of him. LIKE YESTERDAY.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »

Offline waltzero

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I...I'm getting something here...the spirits...they say...

In the playoffs,
when 23 is on the floor,
so will be #34.

I'm also hoping Tony Allen is traded. He's not completely useless but I don't think Doc is ever going to have confidence in him again so he needs a new situation to get his game back.

Instead of another power 3, I want a Posey/Walter McCarty type for Paul's backup, but Anthony Carter could do ok enough on Lebron for a few plays here and there. Maybe Toronto would sign and trade him straight up for the younger Tony Allen??