Author Topic: Celtics Will Likely Match on Big Baby  (Read 2784 times)

Celtics Will Likely Match on Big Baby
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090705#STORY_20044

Looks like they want to keep him.  Good news. 8)

Just hope they're able to secure Wallace too, then we'll be set with the frontcourt.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Celtics Will Likely Match on Big Baby
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Eh, I wouldn't read that much into it.  While it's good to hear, it could very well just be posturing, to either keep teams from making offers, or to try to push for sign and trades.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I've already mentioned that I was resigning for 4 million a year.  

Perkins/Wallace
+ KG/BBD
---------
Title 18
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:01:19 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Eh, I wouldn't read that much into it.  While it's good to hear, it could very well just be posturing, to either keep teams from making offers, or to try to push for sign and trades.

Why posturing? I would think everyone knows the rules by now. Danny probably has a good idea what BBD is going to get on the market.  Plus, he's played his hand more or less by letting Leon go.  Scal is a concussion waiting to happen.  Danny almost has to resign BBD.  If the report is legit, to me it does make perfect sense.

I think when the season begins we open up with as bigs:

KG, Perk, BBD, Wallace, Scal, and then one of Sweetney, Swift, or Fazekas.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Why posturing? I would think everyone knows the rules by now. Danny probably has a good idea what BBD is going to get on the market.  Plus, he's played his hand more or less by letting Leon go.  Scal is a concussion waiting to happen.  Danny almost has to resign BBD.  If the report is legit, to me it does make perfect sense.

Well, first, I just reread the article, and it doesn't say Danny will match offers for Big Baby, he just stated they have the right to.  Big difference.

As for the posturing, if the C's are only willing to match an offer to Davis up to a certain number (which Danny made clear was the case early in the off-season), then it would make sense to put a little doubt in the other teams mind that they would match anything.  If another team were to make Davis an offer, it would tie up their cap space (or exception) for 7 days, while waiting to see if the C's match.  If the C's were to wait those 7 days, and then match it, it could very well take these teams completely out of the running for their second and third choices.  This is why offer sheets for RFA for less than the MLE are rarely made.  Teams don't like to do it, unless they are really in love with the player, and don't have a plan B, or if they are 100% sure the other team will not match it. 

So right now, I think every other team is sitting there thinking they need to either really overpay Davis, so Danny doesn't match, or they need to talk with the C's about a sign and trade for him.

I still think Davis is coming back, mainly because I don't think any team is willing to give him the amount of money it would take for them to feel confident the C's won't match.  But that doesn't mean the posturing doesn't happen.  And that certainly doesn't mean that if a team comes out and offers Davis 4 years, $20 million, that Danny is going to match it (because I feel pretty confident he won't).

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

Well, first, I just reread the article, and it doesn't say Danny will match offers for Big Baby, he just stated they have the right to.  Big difference.

As for the posturing, if the C's are only willing to match an offer to Davis up to a certain number (which Danny made clear was the case early in the off-season), then it would make sense to put a little doubt in the other teams mind that they would match anything.  If another team were to make Davis an offer, it would tie up their cap space (or exception) for 7 days, while waiting to see if the C's match.  If the C's were to wait those 7 days, and then match it, it could very well take these teams completely out of the running for their second and third choices.  This is why offer sheets for RFA for less than the MLE are rarely made.  Teams don't like to do it, unless they are really in love with the player, and don't have a plan B, or if they are 100% sure the other team will not match it. 

So right now, I think every other team is sitting there thinking they need to either really overpay Davis, so Danny doesn't match, or they need to talk with the C's about a sign and trade for him.

I still think Davis is coming back, mainly because I don't think any team is willing to give him the amount of money it would take for them to feel confident the C's won't match.  But that doesn't mean the posturing doesn't happen.  And that certainly doesn't mean that if a team comes out and offers Davis 4 years, $20 million, that Danny is going to match it (because I feel pretty confident he won't).

Fair enough.  I think Davis is viewed as a great bargain pick-up by teams.  He's not a superstar, but he can play. So it's as though teams, if they want to fill a need have to either go with someone who is a lesser-known-quantity, or a superstar.  Then there's BBD.  So I'm guessing Danny knows BBD isn't going to get superstar money, and he cannot replace him with the quality that is out there.  So Danny's not panicking. I had thought about a sign and trade since the season ended, but I am guessing now that unless some great deal bites Danny on the face, that he always figured BBD was coming back.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18

Fair enough.  I think Davis is viewed as a great bargain pick-up by teams.  He's not a superstar, but he can play. So it's as though teams, if they want to fill a need have to either go with someone who is a lesser-known-quantity, or a superstar.  Then there's BBD.  So I'm guessing Danny knows BBD isn't going to get superstar money, and he cannot replace him with the quality that is out there.  So Danny's not panicking. I had thought about a sign and trade since the season ended, but I am guessing now that unless some great deal bites Danny on the face, that he always figured BBD was coming back.

Clearly he's not going to get "Superstar Money".  I doubt any team would dare go beyond $5m per for him, with the real number most likely hovering around $4m.

You never know with Trader Danny, though, and his love of Scal & Swift... if he lands Sheed, does he sign and trade Davis, and let Sheed and Swift be the backup big men? [Big mistake in my book], but if he thinks Davis can net him the backup swingman and/or PG he covets, it's not out of the question.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is a good sign among good signs.

1) No one has offered Davis a contract yet.  If they wanted to get him with less of a chance of being matched, offer the MLE while Boston is charging hard at Wallace and now Hill.

2) Longer other teams wait, while chasing other targets first, the less likely it looks like Davis will get a full MLE offer. 

3) Ainge has now thrown out that he could match.  Teams will then be worries about having their money tied up with a player that they will lose out on anyways, preventing them from going after another player they also like, less likely they throw out a contract.

Now this is no where near a lock.  Just a good chance.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090705#STORY_20044

Just hope they're able to secure Wallace too, then we'll be set with the frontcourt.

Once Powe gets healed and then we sign him for real cheap then we'll be set!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Looks like the Mavs are not interested in Big Baby. Mark Cuban just posted the following on Twitter -- mcuban contrary to reports, the Mavs are not pursuing Glenn Davis. Great player, but we like our guys

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Once Powe gets healed and then we sign him for real cheap then we'll be set!

Powe is done.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I think BBD wants to be a starter for some team next season. He is in the best shape of his life with a plan and a goal.

That being said, it will take time for him to get an offer. If it is low, then we keep Baby.

I do think Ainge is posturing for a potential S&T for Baby. I think DA would like to deal for some help. I figure he has identified 2-3 teams he would like to deal with.

Let's see how it plays out.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think BBD wants to be a starter for some team next season. He is in the best shape of his life with a plan and a goal.

That being said, it will take time for him to get an offer. If it is low, then we keep Baby.

I do think Ainge is posturing for a potential S&T for Baby. I think DA would like to deal for some help. I figure he has identified 2-3 teams he would like to deal with.

Let's see how it plays out.

Actually, he said he'd be happy to come off the bench for a contender.  I doubt Ainge is looking for a sign and trade.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I thought a sign and trade with BBD with be nearly impossible? How come everyone here is so sure that its going to happen?

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
they will match baby...a bench of baby, sheed and a few more parts is very strong