Author Topic: It is "NOT" Sheed or Bust IMHO  (Read 1679 times)

It is "NOT" Sheed or Bust IMHO
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
1. This team was 27-2 last year with no real bench before the injuries started piling up. WE WERE SO GOOD IN FACT, THAT, EVEN PLAYING WITHOUT KG FOR 30 GAMES WE WERE 62-20 AND ONLY FOUR GAMES OFF THE BEST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE. Take Kobe, LeBron or Howard off their teams ( which is the equivalent of us losing KG,  and those teams might not make the playoffs)

2. We still have, by far, the best and the physically "toughest" starting five in the league.

3. Had KG and Powe not gotten injured, we would have hung #18, no question.

Now, this being said, we definately need to improve our bench. But we can certainly do that without signing Sheed. Last year, we basically had no legit backup center, SF, OG or PG. All we need to do is add a few minor pieces.

I would argue if we can't get Sheed, we could add the following players instead and completely dominate the league and hang #18. Sheed is the Bikini chic maybe, but here are two other very simple options that would be more than enough, provided we had reasonable health.

Option one:
A) Marion with the Mid level.
B) Magloire with the LLE ( Can you imagine the pain of Perk and Magloire ) You either have Perk or Magloire waitng for you at the rim all game. Not very appetising for the opposition.
C) Aaron Gray or Swift with the Vet min
D) Any, and I mean any decent Vet point for the Vet min ( Anthony Carter..)

Perkins / Magloire / Swift or Aaron Gray
Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Marion / Walker
Ray Allen / TAllen / Giddens 
Rondo / A Carter / Hudson / House

Sick, maybe 70+ wins

Option two:

1. Josh Childress with the Mid level
2. Birdman with the LLE
3. Aaron Gray or Swift with the Vet min
4. A Carter or any Vet point with the Vet min

Perkins / Birdman / Swift, A. Gray or any equal with Vet min
Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Walker / TAllen
Ray / Childress / Giddens
Rondo / A. Carter / House / Hudson

Also sick and probably 70+ wins assuming reasonable health.

There are many, many other scenarios with a Mcdyess or Matt Barnes or someone else.
I'd even argue, we sign magloire, Barnes and Carter and have reasonable health we're knocking on 70 wins and #18.

This just isn't that complicated, because we have by far, the best starting five in BBall. Even little moves will get it done for us.

Problem with last years is we made no moves whatsoever. We actually stripped our bench instead.     

Re: It is "NOT" Sheed or Bust IMHO
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
aaron gray? really? swift? carter? those guys are not going to be enough to win 60 games let alone 70. they need an impact player and everyone you named other than marion are just more of the same that the celtics already have

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
1. This team was 27-2 last year with no real bench before the injuries started piling up. WE WERE SO GOOD IN FACT, THAT, EVEN PLAYING WITHOUT KG FOR 30 GAMES WE WERE 62-20 AND ONLY FOUR GAMES OFF THE BEST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE. Take Kobe, LeBron or Howard off their teams ( which is the equivalent of us losing KG,  and those teams might not make the playoffs)

2. We still have, by far, the best and the physically "toughest" starting five in the league.

Now, this being said, we definately need to improve our bench. But we can certainly do that without signing Sheed. Last year, we basically had no legit backup center, SF, OG or PG. All we need to do is add a few minor pieces.

I would argue if we can't get Sheed, we could add the following players instead and completely dominate the league and hang #18. Sheed is the Bikini chic maybe, but here are two other very simple options that would be more than enough, provided we had reasonable health.

Option one:
B) Magloire with the LLE ( Can you imagine the pain of Perk and Magloire ) You either have Perk or Magloire waitng for you at the rim all game. Not very appetising for the opposition.

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Marion / Walker

Sick, maybe 70+ wins

Option two:

2. Birdman with the LLE

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Walker / TAllen

There are many, many other scenarios with a Mcdyess or Matt Barnes or someone else.
I'd even argue, we sign magloire, Barnes and Carter and have reasonable health we're knocking on 70 wins and #18.

This just isn't that complicated, because we have by far, the best starting five in BBall. Even little moves will get it done for us.

Problem with last years is we made no moves whatsoever. We actually stripped our bench instead.     

This is why you will never be a General Manager.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I thought it was a pretty good post. What are your alternatives vagrant and celticinorlando? I think we will still be ok without signing Sheed, although my main target would be McDyess.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i don't think there is much alternative after sheed. sure they will sign a few grinders like a wilcox or zsa zsa..but not guys that can get you 30 on any given night like sheed. i am afraid if danny misses on sheed he sits back until august and sees what is on the scrap heap...like last summer. i don't see anyone on his list being the impact guy they need. birdman is staying in denver...childress will want the full MLE which would mean boston wouldnt have enough to get a 2 for 1 they would need without sheed.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Option one:

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Marion / Walker

Sick, maybe 70+ wins

Option two:

2. Birdman with the LLE

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Walker / TAllen

It is extremely hard to build a bench if your number one target decides not to sign with you. That happened to Danny last year and our offseason came no where near the success those scenarios would provide.
Don't just say the idea is stupid, suggest an alternative. Or at the very least give your reasoning.
I think Magloire is a good idea, Childress is a good idea. Did you mean Robert or Stromile Swift. I think Stromile Swift wouldn't be a terrible fit.
I like the idea of this thread, you always need contingency plans.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Option one:

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Marion / Walker

Sick, maybe 70+ wins

Option two:

2. Birdman with the LLE

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Walker / TAllen

And other posters here will be?

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
my plan B? split the MLE between mcdyess and grant hiil. sign Zsa zsa also if possible....bring in a point like earl watson

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Option one:

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Marion / Walker

Sick, maybe 70+ wins

Option two:

2. Birdman with the LLE

Garnett / Baby / Scal
Pierce / Walker / TAllen

Not a big Marion fan and not sure he'd even accept a bench role. People talk about Sheed being selfish. Marion is an extremely selfish player who believes he is better than he is and kinda wormed his way out of Phoenix because of it. After Sheed I'm not as big on other big men. While all serviceable the likes of Wilcox, Sheed, ZaZa, S. Swift, are all distant seconds to Sheed that I would not offer full MLEs to. If Sheed were to say no I'd focus next on either Matt Barnes or Grant Hill. Get one of them into the fold to backup at wing and then see who among those big men is left available. Grab an Anthony Carter or an Antonio Daniels if you can and then off you go.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Have been away for the weekend...Actually, I wasn't trying to audition for a GM position. But to answer the insult, I actually believe that my post very, very clearly illustrates exactly why I would in fact be a great GM, IMHO ( even if like for all of us, it is a fantasy GM role ).

Perhaps I should have made my post more clear, but I assume some things to just be so obvious that they don't really need defining, starting with:

1. I didn't think it necessary to state how INCREDIBLY HUGE signing a guy like Wallace or someone similar due to their talent, expereince and  veteran impact. Having to state it would be like feeling it necessary to state that the sun comes up every day and when it does it's usually in the east.

This being said, while I like the Sheed signing, I wouldn't be looking to usher out Baby too fast because of it, unless we get a good young big back in a sign and trade. We need some young bigs with legs and energy as well the experience a Sheed will bring.

The point I was trying to make was that IF we were NOT ABLE to hit the home run and land the bikini chic( Rasheed), what then? And as a GM I would be more concerned about what my Plan B was if I didn't get Rasheed than what the rest of my Plan A was if I could sign him. You sign Sheed, add a couple more role players, you're good.

If you DON'T get Sheed...you're job becomes much more difficult. However, and back to my original post, I firmly believe that:

1. Our starting Five, if healthy, is far and away the very best in the league. And yes even with the Lakers getting Artest. Perkins is a man-Bynum a Chic, Garnett over Gasol, I will take Pierce over Artest any day, Ray loses on Kobe but we have better team D and Rondo terrorizes all current Laker points with a Healthy Celtic team.

2. BECAUSE our starting five is so good, IF IT WAS THAT WE COULDN'T GET A RASHEED, your next option is to gather as much good, solid role players as you can to keep your starting unit as fresh as possible thoughout the year.

Walton, an older Wedman and a Jerry Sichting wasn't a mind blowing bench in '86. Walton was good, Wedman could shoot some and Sichting played good sometimes. However, they guys were AT LEAST good enough to rest our dominant starting five enough to keep them fresh and we absolutely crushed the league that year.

I feel we are in the same boat right now. So, barring landing the bikini chic ( Rasheed), you do the next best thing, get good vet role playrs at center, wing and point. Whether that is Magloire, Pachulia, Birdman or Parker, Hill or Barnes or Carter, Johnson or Lue is obviously debatable, depending how you view them and how much you'd spend also varies.

I 100% do beleive that if we couldn't get Rasheed but we signed any sort of combo of the following three trios off the bench we will, if healthy, destroy the league with or without Rasheed. Probably get close to 70 wins. We were 62-20 with no bench last year and with no KG for 30 games or so...

Birdman / Barnes / Anthony Carter
Magloire / Childress / Anthony Johnson
Zaza Pachulia / Anthony Parker / Tyrone Lue

We have four impact players on our starting unit....another one off the bench is great but if not...get me proper rest for my four impact players that start with some solid veteran role players, I've got no complaints.

More specifically...

Magloire...yeah, not much left in the tank but...Not asking the guy to be Bill Russell, just asking him to be 10-15 minutes a night of nasty behind Perkins.  He's not my ideal choice but he'd work if it's what I could get.

Aaron Gray, same thing, just another big body to hit some people for 10 minutes a night. Much better than Mikki Moore. I'd take him. Again not asking him to be an allstar. Just hammer people and hold the fort down.

Looks like we got sheed, next choice for me would probably be...

Matt Barnes at wing ( like his toughness and utility and lack of injury history ) 
Any Vet point, though I'd love to see Pruitt make his breakthrough this year. I liike his defense alot at the point.