Author Topic: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car crash (& Subsequent Events)  (Read 21913 times)

Re: Tiger Woods seriously injured in car crash
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Tiger is far from toast.  The list of names that this story relates to is endless; A-Rod, Kobe, Wilt, Magic.  I don't think stories like this hurt them in the long run. 

I was a fan of Tiger before this incident and I still am today.  I admire him because of the way he plays golf not how he handles his private affairs.  I also am nowhere near surprised that this revelation come out.  He is world famous athlete who just surpassed A BILLION dollars in earnings.  I'm not too surprised that he sleeps around.

Toast was the wrong word -- use whatever you want. There's little doubt he's a) the most famous athelete in the world, b) his image is largely responsible for those earnings you mentioned (9/10ths of his worth), and c) that's he done major damage to both the image and those earnings for the future.

i'm not saying he's going to be hurting for money, but do you think we can agree he's done something incredibly stupid here?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Was wondering if folks in this thread were aware. You'll soon hear. He's toast.

No he's not.
First of all, at this point, there are only allegations, nothing definitive (despite what TMZ may want us to think).
Second of all, if Kobe Bryant's image can be barely tarnished by alleged rape, then Tiger's alleged "sexting" will be a barely noticeable blip.

wrong. listen to his message to the cocktail waitress and tell me he isn't going to have serious problems maintaining his school boy image.

tiger sold himself as an american icon -- a revolutionary, if you will -- due in large part to the perceived exclusivity of the sport he conquered, one that was previously seen as only for the spoiled. now he's the one that looks spoiled, not to mention stupid and infintile.

kobe's got nothing to do with it. tiger will now be labeled a dirtbag, and if you don't think that has larger implications for woods than a guy like kobe bryant, than i think you're missing the point.

i haven't listened to the message/ voicemail and i don't plan to.  private business, no one hurt physically. 

kobe still gets $$$$ in endorsement money, and tiger woods will continue to get $$$$ in endorsement money.  the accenture ads don't play up his spiffy "school-boy" image, they play up the fact that he excels under pressure.  that hasn't changed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Tiger is far from toast.  The list of names that this story relates to is endless; A-Rod, Kobe, Wilt, Magic.  I don't think stories like this hurt them in the long run. 

I was a fan of Tiger before this incident and I still am today.  I admire him because of the way he plays golf not how he handles his private affairs.  I also am nowhere near surprised that this revelation come out.  He is world famous athlete who just surpassed A BILLION dollars in earnings.  I'm not too surprised that he sleeps around.

Toast was the wrong word -- use whatever you want. There's little doubt he's a) the most famous athelete in the world, b) his image is largely responsible for those earnings you mentioned (9/10ths of his worth), and c) that's he done major damage to both the image and those earnings for the future.

i'm not saying he's going to be hurting for money, but do you think we can agree he's done something incredibly stupid here?

The image has definitely been tarnished.  Many of his sponsors have already pulbicly said they'll stay with him.  I don't think he'll lose too much money that way.  

Like all the other scandals it'll blow over.  It will become big news again when he starts his 2010 schedule.  Then if he wins tournaments and majors the story will again turn to how great of a player he is as he gets closer and closer to Jack's record.

I agree he'll never be the same.  However I think time and winning golf tournaments will heal the majority of his worries.  

Remember the Kobe fluff pieces during halftimes of the 08 Finals?  They showed how great of a father and husband he was.  This fall people galvanized A-Rod for "overcoming" everything he went through.  Tiger will be in the same boat.  Just like the others he put himself in this bad situation.  Just like the others he'll return to greatness after a little more success.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No he's not.
First of all, at this point, there are only allegations, nothing definitive (despite what TMZ may want us to think).
Second of all, if Kobe Bryant's image can be barely tarnished by alleged rape, then Tiger's alleged "sexting" will be a barely noticeable blip.

wrong. listen to his message to the cocktail waitress and tell me he isn't going to have serious problems maintaining his school boy image.

tiger sold himself as an american icon -- a revolutionary, if you will -- due in large part to the perceived exclusivity of the sport he conquered, one that was previously seen as only for the spoiled. now he's the one that looks spoiled, not to mention stupid and infintile.

kobe's got nothing to do with it. tiger will now be labeled a dirtbag, and if you don't think that has larger implications for woods than a guy like kobe bryant, than i think you're missing the point.

i haven't listened to the message/ voicemail and i don't plan to.  private business, no one hurt physically. 

kobe still gets $$$$ in endorsement money, and tiger woods will continue to get $$$$ in endorsement money.  the accenture ads don't play up his spiffy "school-boy" image, they play up the fact that he excels under pressure.  that hasn't changed.

ha! yes it has, brother, yes it has....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's very rare when an athlete isn't forgiven over a little bit of time.  In 2 years this will be just a blip on his radar.  Athletes get a million chances to redeem themselves, especially good ones.  Jordan and Kobe were both marketed the same way as Tiger- with the perfect image and all.  Magic Johnson also.  They all get forgiven eventually.  Hell, there are still people that would like AI on the C's.  This will blow over and Tiger will be fine.

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

No he's not.

a bit more info?
how does the recent stuff affect his image of excelling under pressure?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

No he's not.

a bit more info?
how does the recent stuff affect his image of excelling under pressure?

when you listen to the message, excelling under pressure will not be at the top of your mind -- i assure you.

nike is a bunch of scum -- they won't care. accenture will care. others will care too. I challenge the group to come up with a more public and humiliating example of ‘being caught rehanded’ as this considering a) the profile of the individual, and b) the manner of demise. voicemails? dirty text messages from his cell phone? how brazen and stupid can you be? it's all publishable to the entire world to hear / read. clinton would come closest, but even that didn’t offer the president on the phone telling monica to change his voicemail so hillary wouldn’t find out. yikes!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All he says in the message is for his girlfriend to remove her name from the phone number so that when his wife checks up on him all she will find is a number and not a name.

I don't think that's such a big deal. Just proof he's an adulterer, which, nowadays, makes him no different than probably 10-40% of the people who live on your street.

I don't approve of his behavior but that only affects my opinion of him as a husband and father and not as a athlete or person over all.

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
i think i'll quit discussing this on csblog, because this type of situation is sensative to the individual and i don't need to boil anyone elses rabbit.

there are those that are tiger fans, obviously. personally i've found him to be a spoiled brat for a number of years -- all the little tantrums and club throwing. "OOOOOOHHHHH TIGER!!" after every bad shot, and so on. this only confirms what i suspected: he's an egomanic (and not a very bright one) who felt he was above reproach.

he'll probably move on from it and win alot more tourneys and be loved and adored. but i hope at least he'll conduct himself with more humility. it'd sure make watching the masters more enjoyable.

for a little more insight on tiger, read this:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opinion/tiger-woods-accident-updates-legacy-120109

and this:

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-game/tiger-woods-life-story-1997
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
All he says in the message is for his girlfriend to remove her name from the phone number so that when his wife checks up on him all she will find is a number and not a name.

I don't think that's such a big deal. Just proof he's an adulterer, which, nowadays, makes him no different than probably 10-40% of the people who live on your street.

I don't approve of his behavior but that only affects my opinion of him as a husband and father and not as a athlete or person over all.

if the texts are real, then i think you might revise this...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

if the texts are real, then i think you might revise this...
I read the texts....so what. Again, all they prove is he is an adulterer. They don't prove him to be sinister or evil or criminal or anything worse than being a horny married man looking for sex with someone other than his wife.

Personally, I don't approve of that and I think it makes him a bad husband and dad. But he's young, his kids are young, his marriage is young and with some hard work and dedication and time he can become a great husband and father once again.

I don't think he's a bad person, just human and I think that's all that the text messages and voicemail prove. Will this go over big in the bible belt and with those of strong faith and convictions, probably not, but in time, it will be forgotten, the same way Michael Jordan's adultery and divorce was and Larry's abandonment of his kid was and Kobe's rape allegations were.

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I completely agree with Nick and I'm not Tiger fan or ever even watched or played golf.  Tiger is no different from 40% of the people around us.  It changes nothing about him unless you are planning on getting into a relationship with him.

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To be honest, I could care less about this.  This is a private matter for Tiger and his wife to deal with.  If we were going to crucify every public figure who cheats on his wife/her husband, there really wouldn't be many left.  I really see no need to judge him on this.

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
To be honest, I could care less about this.  This is a private matter for Tiger and his wife to deal with.  If we were going to crucify every public figure who cheats on his wife/her husband, there really wouldn't be many left.  I really see no need to judge him on this.

I agree it is a private matter...that being said, for some reason I find it very disheartening.  This is a guy that appeared to have everything.  A gorgeous wife, young children, an earning power unmatched by any other athlete in the world, dominance at his job/sport.  So why screw around with some trashy looking girls?  It HAS changed my view of him, a view that was carefully crafted by Tiger and his people. 

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sadly, I barely raise an eyebrow anymore when hearing about athletes and celebrities' infidelities.  Seems all too commonplace these days.

Sure I think less of Tiger as a family man now but I'm not really fired up about it or anything.  Doesn't affect my perception of his on the golf course accomplishments.  A lot of athletes have had dark sides off the field.  I've come to accept that.

This thing will blow over like everything else.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team