Author Topic: Russel vs. Rozier  (Read 3637 times)

Russel vs. Rozier
« on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I don't want to overreact to summer league basketball, but the biggest disappointment of the summer league so far has to be Russell. 10 assists to 20 turnovers in just three games, shooting 30% from the field, and shooting 17% from three. Oh, and if you watch the games, he looks atrocious on defense.

Leading up to the draft, I was uncomfortable with the similarities between him and Evan Turner. Both touted as having excellent court vision, average athletism, and a skinny long build. Both given the reigns by Thad Matta at Ohio State, and both flourished in that role. Both rebounded well. Both struggled with inconsistency.

The one difference was Russell's touch. Whereas Turner wanted to get to the basket, Russell primarily wants to shoot outside. My struggle is that he needs the ball to work himself into a comfort zone with shooting, but in the NBA, he is not going to be given the keys unless he can prove that he can score efficiently, especially on a team with Clarkson, Young, and Bryant.

He has struggled against hungrier, more athletic point guards in summer league so far.

What if he busts like Turner did? What if the Lakers took him ahead of Okafor, Winslow, Mudiay, etc., much the same way that Philly took Turner ahead of Favors, Cousins, Monroe, George, and Hayward.

At the same time, what if Rozier turns into Eric Bledsoe. Bledsoe was taken the same draft as Turner. Bledsoe was taken 18th, Rozier was taken 16th. Both were considered decent picks, but a little bit of a reach.

I've got high hopes for Rozier as a two-way player who can go toe-to-toe with any guard in the league. It would be nice to gloat about Rozier being a better player than Russell in 5 years.

Re: Russel vs. Rozier
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Russell has always reminded me of Rubio with a jumpshot and without the steals
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
That's not the same player then is it.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I really don't like Russell but doing a comparison this early is Payton vs Smart all over again. It's silly. Let's wait 2 years at least and not compare a rookie season let alone a SL for that matter.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 11:53:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I really don't like Russell but doing a comparison this early is Payton vs Smart all over again. It's silly. Let's wait 2 years at least and not compare a rookie season let alone a SL for that matter.

I get that. Neither do i. That's why I was really careful in how I said what I said. I have always been a bit nervous on Russell.

I am starting a conversation that, in five years, might be really fun for Celtic fans to have.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I get that. Neither do i. That's why I was really careful in how I said what I said. I have always been a bit nervous on Russell.

I am starting a conversation that, in five years, might be really fun for Celtic fans to have.
Well then at least you can claim, "1st". Lol

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 12:16:35 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The thing about the NBA draft is that none of these kids come into the NBA with enough skills to make it in the League.  They ALL have to develop, which makes it a crap shoot.  Some need to grow into their man bodies, some are going to have injury issues, some can't get their shots off against NBA defenders, some can't defend their position, but they all have something.  Which players keep developing their strengths and eliminate their weaknesses you never really know.

I think the right approach is to find guys that have an NBA skill that you know already translates.  It can be defense, 3 pt shot, handle, rebounding or whatever but they have to have one skill that makes them able to play at least spot minutes. 

I thought Russell had that in his ball handling and passing but his assist/turnover ratio is a little alarming.  Still, new teammates and limited practice time make passing one of the harder skills to see translate in SL.  Rebounders are going to rebound in SL, regular season or playoffs.  Shooters will knock down shots.  Passers are almost at the whims of the people they play with to both be on the same page and even knock down the shots when they get the opportunities.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:25:26 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
The thing about the NBA draft is that none of these kids come into the NBA with enough skills to make it in the League.  They ALL have to develop, which makes it a crap shoot.  Some need to grow into their man bodies, some are going to have injury issues, some can't get their shots off against NBA defenders, some can't defend their position, but they all have something.  Which players keep developing their strengths and eliminate their weaknesses you never really know.

I think the right approach is to find guys that have an NBA skill that you know already translates.  It can be defense, 3 pt shot, handle, rebounding or whatever but they have to have one skill that makes them able to play at least spot minutes. 

I thought Russell had that in his ball handling and passing but his assist/turnover ratio is a little alarming.  Still, new teammates and limited practice time make passing one of the harder skills to see translate in SL.  Rebounders are going to rebound in SL, regular season or playoffs.  Shooters will knock down shots.  Passers are almost at the whims of the people they play with to both be on the same page and even knock down the shots when they get the opportunities.

I'm sure at some point there will be another one, but I think the days of a clear cut, franchise changing from day one kind of guys coming into the draft are pretty much done. LeBron was like the last one, even Davis to some extent wasn't quite a LeBron or Ducan caliber prospect, though he is becoming that caliber of player. Just seems like with so many 1 and done guys who move up a class anyway they can, those kinda guys coming along as much as they used to seems unlikely.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
That's not the same player then is it.

Haha true. I guess I see the lack of athleticism and passing in common.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 12:31:41 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

TP. This is why I was happy to see Ainge take Smart and Hunter. At worst you know you'd have a great defender and shooter. Then you work on the other things to make them more of a complete player.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I've been very cautious on Russell too after watching him in college. Is he quick enough for the NBA?

Definitely would have taken Okafor over him. Okafor's going to be very good though probably not elite. However, he'll be a double/double guy 18-20 ppg and 10 boards as long as he's healthy whereas Russell has a much higher bust potential. Neither of them will be good defenders.

I'd be reluctant to say much about Rozier off of what I've seen yet. He's been up and down IMO. Wanted Portis, but in Danny and CBS I trust. However, I think Hunter and Mickey were bargains and Holmes too if we can sign him .

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I see Randle is impressing just as much, based on his one game played in which he produced 11 points (on 33% shooting) to go with 1 rebound and 4 turnovers. 

Looking good for our bitter rivals lol

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:05:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Funnily enough, Towns hasn't played any better than Mickey really...and Winslow hasn't been any better than Rozier and Hunter.

Much what I expected to be honest.  The only guys I really expected to be good right away were Okafor and Stanley Johnson, and they have both been pretty good.  At least statistically.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:19:35 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I see Randle is impressing just as much, based on his one game played in which he produced 11 points (on 33% shooting) to go with 1 rebound and 4 turnovers. 

Looking good for our bitter rivals lol

Randle was 2 of 8 today and his +/- was game worst -15. Can't screw up their 2016 first rounder unless they get a top 3 pick. Very bright future ahead.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 03:47:14 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
im not disappointed in russell
no offense to him
but as he is considered part of the lakers future (our enemy)
i enjoy the lakers demise