Author Topic: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF  (Read 5393 times)

Re: If we trade Bass - which I hope we do - who plays back up PF
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 12:32:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If Bass goes out, it's likely for a center that allows KG to slide back to starting PF.  I'd think that Sully would remain the backup PF with Wilcox/Collins backing up center.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways.
So you want to trade a starting big man for a starting big man (who should hopefully be a better one). Take a moment to step back and assess how ridiculous the notion that this may happen is.

Wait what?  No one said it would be a straight up trade.  The C's would have to send more assets, whether it is young players, draft picks, or maybe one of their guards.

Of course no one is going to trade a better player for a lesser one, but that is why there are multi-player trades in the NBA. 

I think the insane trade ideas might be getting to you.

edit: not to mention, I never said it was likely Bass would be traded.  I was just responding to the scenario laid forth by the OP, that he WAS traded.  And I think if he is traded, it will only be as part of a package for an upgrade up front.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think if we trade Bass, it will be for a starting big man.  Which means that Sully would remain the primary backup big man, and Wilcox would slide in as the 4th big man. 

But, in the playoffs, you would only play 3 big men, unless there is foul trouble anyways.

I agree. A player such as Mozgov or Gortat would likely start at center, moving KG to the starting power forward, with Sully still coming off the bench at PF, and Wilcox off the bench at C. Then we'd still have Collins as an emergency/situational big (unless he's part of any trade), and the Cs may also end up with another big, either a free agent or buyout guy, or as an extra man in a trade (example: a trade for Mozgov could also net the Cs Anthony Randolph). Either way, we end up with a solid top 4 bigs, with one or two "break in case of emergency" guys.
Starting Mozgov, you must be kidding. That, coupled with KG move to PF would be a rarely spectacular loss-loss move.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think he's worthless, though he was definitely a one trick offensive backup.
Yes, I can agree with this. Great for a change of pace plug when you need someone to run up and down with Rondo and give you a couple of loud dunks. A liability when he has to defend someone bigger than him, or when the offense slows down.

Shouldn't be higher than 4th on your big man depth chart -- preferably fifth.
I'm happy with wilcox running the floor, if he can tire one starter a bit for end of a game its a plus, set good screens and defend as best he can.  Our lower chart guys you can't ask for much, we have such depth I'd like to see our main guys get rest while other teams works against our bench.  Come 4th quarter we have a rested rr, kg, pp etc

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
wilcox at the beginning of season was playing better than all bigs but kg
Yes, if you define "playing" as "converting wide open dunks and layups". Otherwise that statement is pretty ridiculous, as poor as Bass and Sullinger have been playing.
Don't you have to give him credit for running the floor and creating those wide open dunks and lay ups? If it wasn't a legit skill you would see Bass with a lot more open opportunities than he got.

For those of you that like advanced statistics Wilcox leads the team in points per 100 possessions on offense accord to basketball reference.

As far as trading Bass, the only way I do that is for a starting center like Gortat, Jefferson, Cousins or Nene ( think I'm missing someone but I can't figure it out now). Any deal in which Bass gets sent out for one of these guys will probably include Terry or Lee though.

With how we are playing now and the pieces we have in place for the future, I think it would be foolish to make any trade that has us giving up a rotation player, for someone who isn't an upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:38:07 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yes, if you define "playing" as "converting wide open dunks and layups". Otherwise that statement is pretty ridiculous, as poor as Bass and Sullinger have been playing.
Don't you have to give him credit for running the floor and creating those wide open dunks and lay ups? If it wasn't a legit skill you would see Bass with a lot more open opportunities than he got.
It's a legit skill. But it's also one skill, and in the grand scheme of things not a very important one at all. I'd rank rebounding, interior defense, shot blocking, post-up game, and even midrange jump shot higher than running the floor.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It's a legit skill. But it's also one skill, and in the grand scheme of things not a very important one at all. I'd rank rebounding, interior defense, shot blocking, post-up game, and even midrange jump shot higher than running the floor.
agreed which is why collins  :-\ is last on depth chart

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I believe that if Bass is traded the Cs will be bringing in another big who fits better with Sully. KG, Sully will each probably play around 30 min a game with new guy getting around 25 and Wilcox/Collins getting the remaining 13 depending on matchups.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

LEHGOCELTICS

This. Didn't read OP's post.

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Business as usual.  Fans willing to trade a guy they don't like for someone they do like.  And always wanting to trade only expendable guys.  Too bad the other teams are not in on it just to help the Celtics.

Right now, Bass is okay but as said, if you want to trade him for a bigger player, then expect to get a worser bigger player.  Someone like a Ryan Hollins for example.  Size is at a premium and if you trade smaller for bigger, you should expect less talented as well.

In terms of Terry, Melo (and others mentioned), really difficult to tell if they have much of any value at all right now. 

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Doesn't it matter the degree to which he's better than others at running the floor? Collins is a better, rebounder, interrior defender, and shot blocker than Wilcox but I think Wilcox is a huge upgrade in the grand scheme of things.

With Wilcox on the court the Celtics are scoring 125 points per 100 possessions!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Doesn't it matter the degree to which he's better than others at running the floor? Collins is a better, rebounder, interrior defender, and shot blocker than Wilcox but I think Wilcox is a huge upgrade in the grand scheme of things.

With Wilcox on the court the Celtics are scoring 125 points per 100 possessions!
Yes, and you should also know that Jarvis Varnado leads the team in net production difference (own vs opp). Stats do you very little good when you don't know how to use them (in case you missed the point: Wilcox has played too little for any sort of reasonable assessment to be made; not to mention that your assertion doesn't seem to be true -- with Wilcox we're scoring 108 points per 100 possessions).

Also, you don't seem to quite know our players very well. Collins is not a better rebounder or shot blocker than Wilcox, as poor as Wilcox is. He may be a better team and inferior defender, but I'm not advocating playing Collins over Wilcox. In fact, if Wilcox is fifth in the depth chart, Collins should probably be sixth.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:50:22 PM by kozlodoev »