Author Topic: Idea for rebuild Wizards by trading Wall to the Suns  (Read 1020 times)

Idea for rebuild Wizards by trading Wall to the Suns
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Washington is the most disappointing team so far even though their roster rotation should easily make the playoffs:

Wall/Satoransky - Beal/Rivers - Porter/Oubre - Morris/Green - Howard/Mahinmi. 

The Wizards have had a tough opening schedule and there are so many games to play that there's certainly a possibility to still get in to the playoff race. However it's clear that they are in trouble. Brooks is one of the worst coaches in the league and there are lockerroom issues (between most notably Wall and Porter). Above that they have a expensive payroll with Wall his supermax contract kicking in next summer which will keep them in the luxury tax for a long time, without the realistic ability to build a contender.

So maybe their FO will change their minds and shake it up. What I propose is a temporary rebuild around Beal and Porter who are both just 25 years old. You seldom see a franchise take this course (unless it's forced by injuries), but it might be the best path for them. What do they need? A better culture, a new coach and cap flexibility. I believe trading Wall would fix two of those problems and of course they need to fire Brooks, which should've been done a long time ago. Here's my trade proposal (feel free to make adjustments or comments):

To Washington: Josh Jackson, Ryan Anderson, De'Anthony Melton + '19 Milwaukee 1st (protected)
To Phoenix: John Wall, Markieff Morris

What's in it for Washington? First of all they save tons of money by moving Wall's contract and secondly they got a 2nd year top lottery prospect (Jackson). Morris is merely a throw in who wouldn't yield much on the open market. I will start the argument for Phoenix later on.

Let's first look what the new situation is for Washington. They own their own draft picks, therefore tanking could be rewarding with Wall gone. Just let Brooks do the damage, while they can patiently search for a new coach. When a player like Oubre or Howard puts up good numbers trade them for picks. Just keep Beal, Porter and Jackson.

In the summer of 2020 comes the good news when you get significant cap space to sign a free agent (since that summer the contracts of Mahinmi and Anderson expire), while still having your core players under contract! In the meantime you've hopefully added a top pick from the 2019 (and or 2020 draft). And with that new group you try to compete.

Why would Phoenix take on this huge contract, which fades all their cap space to sign free agents? Simply because they are not a high profile destination. It's hard to imagine they will sign a better player than John Wall. And Wall is a player who's still in his prime at 28 and could completely change this franchise around, who's so desperately looking for a new point guard. Yes, Wall is overpaid, but you rather overpay for a good player than having Anderson on your books for 20 million a year.

Phoenix gives up Jackson, Melton and the Milwaukee 1st, but you have to give up some pieces to make it appealing for the other GM to sell it to their fan base. In all honesty they keep there better prospects (Bridges>Jackson, Okobo >Melton), while the Milwaukee 1st will end up being a late pick in the '20 draft. Phoenix owns their own draft picks which can be used to add depth or another top talent if they get lucky.

This new Phoenix team with a starting line-up Wall/Booker/Ariza/Morris/Ayton and Okobo, Bridges, Warren and Holmes coming from the bench (need to sign some cheap veterans) should be able to make the playoffs in coming years. In my mind this is a trade that helps both teams who are both not playing well, but are in completely different situations.

Re: Idea for rebuild Wizards by trading Wall to the Suns
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:16:08 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not bad, I don't know if I like it fit wise. Talent wise I love the lineup of Beal/Jackson/Porter/Morris/Howard.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Beal's timeline fits better with Phoenix (25 now, Wall's 28), and he can play at SG next to Booker at PG. This is a bit like Kyrie (25 at the time of the trade) vs. PG13 or Jimmy Butler (27 at the time).

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:32:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like it for both teams.  Phoenix would get a new identity and Wall and the Wizards seem to ready to part ways.  I think it would improve the culture in Washington and even though Wall is the best player in the deal it might be addition by subtraction.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Can't imagine many GMs would engage in a deal involving Josh Jackson. His value is a complete unknown.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:42:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Can't imagine many GMs would engage in a deal involving Josh Jackson. His value is a complete unknown.

He played 5 minutes tonight

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

He played 5 minutes tonight

Yeah, he's been horrible this year. Last year he was all over the place, with streaks of star potential and a strong finish to the season. It's pretty bizarre.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC