Author Topic: ESPN projects the Celtics at #2 in the East  (Read 10548 times)

Re: ESPN projects the Celtics at #2 in the East
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I feel it could go either way. just looking at the stats from last year and the losses vs. gains in a vacuum you would say we definitely will be a worse team....

BUT

if Tatum/Brown take jumps...which from all accounts of those watching team USA they seem primed to do....and Hayward a year removed from his injury returns to all-star form...added with improved chemistry with Kemba walker...Then we are looking at a totally different team. One whom can hang with anyone scoring wise.

The biggest questions are going to be the front-court as most of our guys are unknowns(pourier) or not known for defense (kanter). But if they end up working out...once again could end up not being an issue...or being an issue...

to me, the celtics are the most unpredictable to predict this season because of all the variables.

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2019, 09:46:08 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I feel it could go either way. just looking at the stats from last year and the losses vs. gains in a vacuum you would say we definitely will be a worse team....

BUT

if Tatum/Brown take jumps...which from all accounts of those watching team USA they seem primed to do....and Hayward a year removed from his injury returns to all-star form...added with improved chemistry with Kemba walker...Then we are looking at a totally different team. One whom can hang with anyone scoring wise.

The biggest questions are going to be the front-court as most of our guys are unknowns(pourier) or not known for defense (kanter). But if they end up working out...once again could end up not being an issue...or being an issue...

to me, the celtics are the most unpredictable to predict this season because of all the variables.

Brad Stevens has always done more with less.

Just like in 2017 when the Isaiah Thomas led Celtics reached the east finals.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the Celts will end up one of the top 3 teams in the east this season.

And if the Bucks are not healthy all season long, I won't be surprised if the Celts end up being #1 in the east.

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »

Online Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I think it's a very hard team to predict because there are just so many question marks with this team.

Our four best players are all question marks in some form:
- Kemba has never played here before
- Hayward is in a state of unknown health
- Tatum and Brown are both so young that you just don't know what gains to expect from them

On of that our entire front court rotation has question marks:
- Kanter is playing here for the first time
- Williams may or may not take a step forward, nobody knows
- Nobody knows what to expect from our international addition or if we'll get anything from Taco

Finally, a good portion of our bench are rookies, and there is absolutely no way at all to predict how any of those guys will translate to the NBA game. 

We might have multiple rookies coming out giving us quality production off the bench by the All-Star break (like E'Twaun Moore, Leon Powe, Big Baby, Olynyk did) - if so our bench, led by Smart, could be a strength.  Or we might end up with a bunch of rookies  who are just out of their element and struggling to produce, in which case we cold have one of the worst second units in the league. 

I feel there are really only a handful of guys on this roster (Smart, Ojeleye, Theiss) who we actually know what we can expect to get from.  The entire rest of the roster is pretty much a question mark.

I'm most concerned about the Bucks and Pacers right now as Boston's two biggest threats.  Then there is Philly who I'm very 50/50 on, but I feel will be worse then last year.  After that it's hard for me to consider any other East time as a being a real threat to Boston. 

I think anywhere from 2nd to 4th is very possible with the team constructed as it is right now.  Falling outside that range is possible, but IMHO not likely.

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The Team USA experience should help us get off to a good start. That's a plus, may be worth an extra 2-3 wins for the season.

But:

After watching them play in the FIBA games, I am becoming more cautious on expectations of Tatum and Brown heading into the season.  I think Brown is evolving (in his words) into a utility guy, who provides energy, can score in short spurts, and defend multiple positions. I am doubtful he is all star material. 

Tatum has future all star in him, but I don't think it will happen this season. He still struggles to finish, although he is improving in this area. He is getting better at cutting down on long twos, but has more room for improvement.  His 3 point shot is streaky, and to expect him to be a 40% shooter from that range is unrealistic, despite his rookie year percentage. If he can learn to establish more contact finishing and draw fouls, that is how is scoring average will climb significantly, since he has high end foul shooting average.

Sam Vicencie has Tatum ranked 9th and Jalen ranked 21st in the top 25 players who will be 23 or under on December 31.  I think both should be a little higher (Ball and Ingram ahead of Brown, e.g.) but not by much.  Tatum is closer to Mitchell level, and Sam has Mitchell at 4 I believe.  He has Simmons 3, Luka 2 and Williamson 1.  So there is some hype expectation built into his  projections, but he is a very astute observer of players throughout the league, and it is somewhat humbling when he ranks our Celtic guys lower than most of feel they belong.

Feeling pretty strong that this team will depend mostly on Kembra and Gordon this coming season.  I think they will be our two best players.