Author Topic: Howard: I want to stay, but I'm still becoming a free agent  (Read 8163 times)

Re: Howard: I want to stay, but I'm still becoming a free agent
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:13 AM »

Offline energyking1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
"Dwight Howard reaffirmed his desire to stay with the Magic, but told NBA.com on Monday that he will definitely become a free agent "

Would a team really trade for someone who wants to be a free agent? I dont see it happening.

Everything dwight says about wanting to be on a team that is about winning championships is on point with the celtics culture.

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 04:18:26 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Would a team really trade for someone who wants to be a free agent? I dont see it happening.

I think most teams would only complete the trade if they could get a verbal agreement with Howard beforehand on an extension. That's what happened with KG coming here.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
The Lakers go Kareem, Shaq, Wilt and Pau ( Not that Pau is in the same league ). Isn't it time for us to get lucky?  :)

If I'm Dwight, I would come to Boston and it's not just because I am a Celtic fan.

1. I'd want to be part of something great if I was that talented. KG spent his best years wallowing in mediocrity until he landed in Boston.

2. Miami would be a hornets nest if he went there. Also, that would be too easy.

3. Build your own house - with Rondo. Point and center - you have those two things, everyone and there mother will want to join the Celts because you've got someone protecting the paint and someone getting you the ball.

4. Rondo, DWest, JGreen, Pierce, KG, Ray, Doc plus 3 1st round picks? Nice....

5. LA is the other obvious choice and if you also get Chris Paul...you can build something as well. But that's cliche...everyone goes to LA, that's too clean.

6. Come to Boston and get dirty - :)

7. Plus as someone said, having Doc in house might be bigger than we think. He's a defense first player's coach. That might be very, very attractive to Dwight.   

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline energyking1

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
i dont see any other team being a compelling enough one for dwight.

lakers? they are high on bynum, and the rest of the team is old, and have mike brown as coach.

celtics have a rich history of championships. we're one of the only contenders in 2012 with a crapload of cap room.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
i dont see any other team being a compelling enough one for dwight.

lakers? they are high on bynum, and the rest of the team is old, and have mike brown as coach.

celtics have a rich history of championships. we're one of the only contenders in 2012 with a crapload of cap room.

I tend to agree.  However, Howard is only coming to Boston in a sign and trade.  

I have been thinking about this, and while I am pretty good with the cap, I'm not sure I'm right about this one.  So let me know if this trade works and/or can be adjusted to work.  Also, this trade is made with the often-stated premise that Kevin Garnett is paid and released by the Magic to return to Boston (which is risky because the league has been cracking down).

Deal 1: Boston sends: Garnett, J. O'Neil, Kristic (resigned at 6.54M (less than 20% raise, not a BYC player), its pick this year, the Clipper's pick next year, and Bradley (totals about $32.8M).  Orlando sends: Howard, Arenas ($34.3M) (this meets the 125% + 100k)

Deal 2: Green sign and trade for Turkoglu (matching salaries)

OK, I know that talent-wise Boston gets the best part of this deal.  Don't look at it that way; the NBA GM won't.  If Orlando knows it is going to lose Howard, they want to rid themselves of their big contracts and get draft picks (or young players) to rebuild.  All trades (epitome - Garnett) of stars on mediocre teams work like this in the NBA.

So what does Orlando get?  More than almost any other team can offer.  They get rid of Arenas and Turkoglu (horrible contracts) and the only non-expiring deal they take back is Kristic at $6.5M (which isn't too bad).  They also get medium young player in Green, another medium young player in Bradley, a great player in the Clipper's draft pick, and a roster young player with the Celtics' draft pick.  That is a haul.

Assuming Garnett comes back to the Celtics, they lose depth but they are loaded for years to come with Rondo and Howard.  The starting five includes Howard with the familiar faces, and with some resignings the bench could include BBD, West, Arryo, and Von Wafer.  

OK, so the bench is not that deep.  A mid-season Shaq reacquisition?  I still make this trade.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:41:29 PM by BCelts »