Author Topic: Howard: I want to stay, but I'm still becoming a free agent  (Read 8163 times)

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Dwight Howard reaffirmed his desire to stay with the Magic, but told NBA.com on Monday that he will definitely become a free agent rather than sign an extension in the next year and also left open the possibility he would reconsider his future in Orlando if the team does not win the title next season.

In a one-on-one interview afterward, though, he made it clear he is not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster and that changes need to be made. The same message, he said, was delivered to owner Rich DeVos and CEO Bob Vander Weide in a meeting last week that included Howard sharing thoughts on everything from personnel to fan involvement and arena atmosphere at home games.

"I want to win a championship," the All-Star center said. "I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

"There's no other place I'd rather be besides Orlando," he said. "As of right now, that's my home. I just want to stay in Orlando as long as I can.

"That's the truth. I don't have to keep things calm or anything. This is how I really feel in my heart. A lot of people want to see me go other places, but I want to stay in Orlando. I have a beautiful home there. There are beautiful people down there. My son is in Orlando. He's getting a lot older and I want to be there to see as many moments as I can of his life."

And if the Magic do not win the 2012 championship and the personality of the roster stays the same?

"Then things have to change," Howard told NBA.com.

Link

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Re: Howard: I want to stay, but I'm still becoming a free agent
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Absolutely huge and we must make decisions with an eye towards this. There's very little chance that the Magic will be able to get their franchise to a reasonable level for Dwight before next summer. And I say that even if there is an amnesty clause that would allow them to wipe Gilbert off the books...still screwed.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Absolutely huge and we must make decisions with an eye towards this. There's very little chance that the Magic will be able to get their franchise to a reasonable level for Dwight before next summer. And I say that even if there is an amnesty clause that would allow them to wipe Gilbert off the books...still screwed.
Perhaps it's just the way you're phrasing it but it seems like you want to throw all the C's eggs in the 'get Dwight' basket. 

If that's the case, I think that's a recipe for disaster.  The odds of the C's landing Dwight are small and it'll take a full commitment to clear the roster to do so.  If we miss out, we're the Nets with less assets.  i'd rather Danny position himself to be in a more pro-active situation for stocking the team rather than hope and wish Dwight he can out-romance the other GMs to get Dwight.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Funny stuff.

I wonder which superstar he'll choose to link up with

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
I mean, the new CBA rules, and specifically the cap projection/type of cap are all huge when it comes to what you actually are going to do. BUT, the roster construction is already halfway home in regards to being able to sign a max contract in 2012.

It all has to be looked at closely from a management perspective. I'd certainly run a serious report of what teams will be in position to sign a max FA in 2012 and if it's all Kings/Warriors level teams, then we could potentially be in the driver's seat. Dwight would personally erase a 2-5+ year miserable rebuilding window.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Huge huge decision for Dwight. Although I believe they have the pieces to make a run if Hedo played like the Hedo of 2009 and Gil played more like, well, Gil.

If he does become a FA though, I hope the C's land him, not on a max contract but a reasonable big amount. SO the C's would land another piece.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Huge huge decision for Dwight. Although I believe they have the pieces to make a run if Hedo played like the Hedo of 2009 and Gil played more like, well, Gil.

If he does become a FA though, I hope the C's land him, not on a max contract but a reasonable big amount. SO the C's would land another piece.

so the magic have the pieces to make a title run?

and you wouldn't give Howard a max contract ?

um ok...... ::)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

so the magic have the pieces to make a title run?

and you wouldn't give Howard a max contract ?

um ok...... ::)

Yes I believe they do. Howard is a presence on both ends on the inside. They got good shooters in Richardson and Hedo (well not last season but he can still knock it down) to stretch the floor for Howard. Gil can penetrate. They got Bass who is tenacious in rebounding and can score inside too. They got good bench players in Redick and Chris Duhon and Ryan Anderson who are all solid offensively too. And they have a trade bait in Jameer Nelson who they can probably get some value of. And come free agency they can probably sign a solid back up for Howard. Someone who would rather play defense than shoot.

As for the max contract, of course if I' in charge I'll give Howard one. What I meant was I was hoping though that he will take less money "like the Big 3 in Miami did" so the C's can accommodate another signing. Someone who can help. But of course, if Howard want's to go the C's and he says max contract, yes.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
please oh please oh please turn Green D12. Would be amazing.. Hey at least you know we will have our pockets open.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The absolute best-case scenario for the C's is if Orlando sucks, Dwight gets p---ed, makes it known that he's leaving and Orlando has to trade him.  We'll have KG's contract to make the numbers work, but not much else.

LA has a lot more to offer Orlando in a trade...  but what if Boston was willing to absorb Arenas/Turkoglu, as well?  We aren't going to have young players to send back, but maybe we could clean off a lot of salary from Orlando's books.

That's how you're going to get Dwight - via trade at next years' deadline.  You'd have to renounce your Bird rights to KG (and Ray) to have enough cap space to sign him in 2012, anyway.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 02:29:35 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
"I want to stay, but I'd rather go to the Celtics."

COME ON DWIGHT!!!  That would be the best team of ALL TIME.  There's no better fit for him in the NBA.

Ray and Pierce are old, but they're 2 of the best shooters in the game (Ray IS the best).  Nobody better to pass out to.

Kevin Garnett is old, but he's still the 2nd best defender in the NBA.  Nobody better to man the frontcourt with him.

Rondo can't shoot, but he's still the best distributor in the NBA.  Nobody better to toss lobs to him.

All teams are gonna have their disadvantages, but I think our advantages are ridiculous.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
LA has a lot more to offer Orlando in a trade...  but what if Boston was willing to absorb Arenas/Turkoglu, as well?  

Sorry but I don't want the Celtics to become the Orlando Magic.  The Magic have been in decline since their Finals appearance.  I think D12 is as good as gone for ORL (unless the CBA allows franchise tagging; but in that case he could still complain and force his way out). 

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
When he looks at what team to go to, this is what he will see for Boston:

A defense that is already top 3 without him.

A point guard who can throw him the best passes in the league.

Getting to be part of one of the two best franchises in the NBA.

Veterans who will sign for less to make sure he is happy here.

This is what he will see in LA:

Taking a pay cut to Kobe and Pau

Getting dominated by the young OKC every year in the playoffs.

No point guard, so he has to throw alley-oops to himself.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
LA has a lot more to offer Orlando in a trade...  but what if Boston was willing to absorb Arenas/Turkoglu, as well?  

Sorry but I don't want the Celtics to become the Orlando Magic.  The Magic have been in decline since their Finals appearance.  I think D12 is as good as gone for ORL (unless the CBA allows franchise tagging; but in that case he could still complain and force his way out).  

I'd never want to see Arenas as a Celtic.  You'd make that trade to buy him out.  Just saying that's one way that I think you realistically COULD see Dwight in Green.  Orlando's not a big market, once they start to suck they're going to be desperate to shed salary.

Turkolgu, though?  Not a great player.  Overpaid.  But, he's useful. 

I assume they'd have to lose either Jeff Green or Ray Allen along with KG.  You could have a team of:

Rondo
Pierce
Green
Turk
Dwight

-or-
Rondo
Ray
Pierce
Turk
Dwight

Still have the ability to add another PF with the MLE.  That's a lot better than what Orlando's been putting out there.  

I don't think I'd trade for Howard if it also cost us Rondo, though.  Getting Dwight makes sense only if you've got Rondo to set him up.  That combo would be E-P-I-C.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
The biggest reason Howard would want to come here has to be Rondo.   Those two together could be something very special in NBA history.