Author Topic: According to ESPN.com, Carmelo Anthony is very likely to leave the Nuggets.  (Read 8186 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Supper Friends 2 deciding to get together. Anthony wants to play with Paul and Amare in NY.They are going to use every bit of pull in their power to make that happen.

Really hate this type of behind the scenes power struggle that the players are pulling now and I hate the trend it is setting.

The owners do to and you will see the resulting very long lock out that will be the result of their displeasure. I for one would reward Melo with a year in Detroit or Cleveland or Minnesota and see how he likes that type of trade.

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Well this really isn't any different than any other powerful person or entity in any other business realm.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Well this really isn't any different than any other powerful person or entity in any other business realm.

Oh, I don't know...  I think in a lot of other realms, contractual obligations are taken a bit more seriously.  Again, I've got no problem with Melo if he wants to play out his contract and then leave.  This "sign an extension and force a trade" stuff is nonsense, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'll tell you what. I can see some type of player tampering rule being extended to players in the next CBA if this type of stuff continues. Players meeting to discuss getting together while still under contract with other teams. Players marketing companies talking to player telling them to request trades. Player making toasts in saying they will be getting together with other players in certain cities to play together while they are all under contract elsewhere.

This could get messy with the new CBA.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Supper Friends 2 deciding to get together. Anthony wants to play with Paul and Amare in NY.They are going to use every bit of pull in their power to make that happen.

Really hate this type of behind the scenes power struggle that the players are pulling now and I hate the trend it is setting.

The owners do to and you will see the resulting very long lock out that will be the result of their displeasure. I for one would reward Melo with a year in Detroit or Cleveland or Minnesota and see how he likes that type of trade.

I love that Idea! Minnesota would be awesome! They could trade the nuggets back some expiring contracts or the rights to understand Kahn's mind

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think he’s gonna go to the Knicks.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I said this 3 weeks ago. Melo wants to go to New York and when July 8th come around, he will sign with them. If I was Denver, I would trade him NOW and get something. Don't be like Phoenix. They didn't trade Amare and he left without getting anything.
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Oh, I don't know...  I think in a lot of other realms, contractual obligations are taken a bit more seriously.  Again, I've got no problem with Melo if he wants to play out his contract and then leave.  This "sign an extension and force a trade" stuff is nonsense, though.
In my business 2 year non compete contractual obligations are unbelievably respected. Imagine in the professional sports there being non-compete agreements for GMs, coaches, scouts or even players??

The respect given to fulfilling contracts in the NBA is a complete joke compared to the world of contracts I work within.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'll tell you what. I can see some type of player tampering rule being extended to players in the next CBA if this type of stuff continues. Players meeting to discuss getting together while still under contract with other teams. Players marketing companies talking to player telling them to request trades. Player making toasts in saying they will be getting together with other players in certain cities to play together while they are all under contract elsewhere.

This could get messy with the new CBA.

This is the only part I see as addressable. You can't really stop workers from talking with each other about where they'd like to work when their contracts are up.

I'd love to see stiffer restrictions on marketing influence but good luck: power hierarchy goes Marketing > owners > players.

I'd also like to see taxes equaled out in the next CBA: all players pay the same rate on their contracts to the league and the league foots the bill for all federal and state taxes; as it stands, florida teams have an automatic 10% more cap space than other teams, in effect!

And by the way, Anthony hasn't demanded a trade, and Pierce, CP3, Anthony, KG and even Kobe haven't missed any contractual obligations when they asked for or hinted at wanting trades. So I'd say their honoring their contracts just as much as, say, NFL owners who can sign and cut players on a whim and not for failing to live up to specific contractual markers.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So I'd say their honoring their contracts just as much as, say, NFL owners who can sign and cut players on a whim and not for failing to live up to specific contractual markers.

NFL owners honor their contracts.  The collective bargaining agreement they operate under specifically allows for non-guaranteed contracts, and players can negotiate for guarantees.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
So I'd say their honoring their contracts just as much as, say, NFL owners who can sign and cut players on a whim and not for failing to live up to specific contractual markers.

NFL owners honor their contracts.  The collective bargaining agreement they operate under specifically allows for non-guaranteed contracts, and players can negotiate for guarantees.

I'm merely pointing out that both sides here in both cases are honoring contracts as stipulated by their respective collective bargaining agreements; whether fans get in a huff about either is up to them.

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Contracts are renegotiated all the time, though. And not always to the liking of all parties involved.

All Carmelo is doing is using leverage he as acquired based on his skill.

I don't really like it either in the grand sense, but I don't think it's fair to single out a basketball player when it's really just how business in general works.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I hope there are no Celtics fans getting even an inkling of an iota of a shred of hope about Melo coming to Boston. If he bolts Denver as a free agent, he's going to the Knicks, where he, Chris Paul and Amare Stoudemire hope to form another "super friends" team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Roy is right this is getting ridiculous.  You honor the contract you signed and stay with the team or you depart when you are a free-agent.  You DON'T sign and an extention and then demand a trade.  If he does that the Nuggets should not trade him or trade him to the Raptors etc.  for the rest of his contract if he is unhappy. See how that will make him feel. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I hope there are no Celtics fans getting even an inkling of an iota of a shred of hope about Melo coming to Boston. If he bolts Denver as a free agent, he's going to the Knicks, where he, Chris Paul and Amare Stoudemire hope to form another "super friends" team.

For months, weeks, days and minutes prior to 'The Decision', folks 'in the know' had Lebron in New York, Miami, New Jersy, and Cleveland. I am sure someone accidentally nailed it -- as may you with Melo -- but it will be luck rather than knowledge that will be the reason for your success if your prediction proves accurate.    No offense intended here -- just asserting that anything could happen between now and then.