Author Topic: According to ESPN.com, Carmelo Anthony is very likely to leave the Nuggets.  (Read 8184 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
All signs continue to point toward the eventual divorce between Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets. League sources say it is now a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways. ESPN.com

Anthony is weighing whether to sign a three-year, $65 million extension offered by the Nuggets. His dilemma, league sources say, is what affords him the best chance of continuing his career elsewhere. Anthony could sign with Denver and convince the team to then trade him. His other option would be to not sign the extension, thereby forcing the team to move him rather than risk losing him next summer as a free agent. ESPN.com

Via www.hoopshype.com

It's unfortunate, I can't imagine Denver getting anything clsoe to Melo back. This should be interesting.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
He would look GREAT in green..
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Does Pierce officially have a no-trade clause? It's blasphemy, but Pierce for Melo straight up could be win-win for both teams.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Did they demand a big contract right before the trade demand?

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

In some ways it gives options to the team he's leaving, instead of bolting for a team that just has capspace.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Does Pierce officially have a no-trade clause? It's blasphemy, but Pierce for Melo straight up could be win-win for both teams.

How is that a good trade for Denver? Paul Pierce is beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel here.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

That 3 year extension has been sitting on the table for a while with Melo refusing to sign.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Pierce kind of did.  As I recall, he'd just signed a four-year extension, and then less than a year, he started the "I might demand a trade" talk.  KG, on the other hand, threatened the Twolves that he would opt out, which is definitely his right.

In my mind, you can't have it both ways.  You either show your commitment to the team by signing an extension, or you leave.  Instead, players want to eat their cake and have it too by demanding an extension *and* a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Roy I said we were getting into dangerous territory when Paul publicly demanded his trade (although a lot of posters disagreed with me)... it seems that snowball is gaining some momentum into a bad place now.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate the modern superstar.  So, his master plan is to force the Nuggets to sign him to a huge extension, and then demand a trade?

If he wants to leave in free agency, fine, no problem.  However, this demanding a trade nonsense is stupid.  And yes, I feel that way even though two of our superstars have requested trades in the past.

Pierce kind of did.  As I recall, he'd just signed a four-year extension, and then less than a year, he started the "I might demand a trade" talk.  KG, on the other hand, threatened the Twolves that he would opt out, which is definitely his right.

In my mind, you can't have it both ways.  You either show your commitment to the team by signing an extension, or you leave.  Instead, players want to eat their cake and have it too by demanding an extension *and* a trade.

Pierce signed it at the time with the belief the team was going to be better.  (it wasn't)

Melo already wants to go (and has apparently decided to go) but wants the Nuggets to give him a big contract before.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Pierce signed it at the time with the belief the team was going to be better.  (it wasn't)

Melo already wants to go (and has apparently decided to go) but wants the Nuggets to give him a big contract before.

Regardless, I see them as one in the same; either you intend to honor your contract or you don't.  "Demands" are a ridiculous thing to me, and just once, I'd love to see a team stand up to a player and tell them to pound salt.

(It won't really work in Carmelo's case, though, since he's got more leverage; he can just leave for New York next summer.  However, for other players with longer term deals, I'd like to see the team tell them that they won't trade them under any circumstances.  The Hornets appear to be doing this, and more power to them.)

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

How is that a good trade for Denver? Paul Pierce is beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel here.

Not exactly the hottest FA destination, and they're over the cap even if Anthony leaves next year, so they make a playoff push built around other guys seeing the light to: Kenyon Martin, Billups, Pierce, Nene as the core for a couple more seasons. So they field a competitive playoff team for the next few seasons then rebuild, instead of having no SF and stinking but no cap space to rebuild.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Pierce kind of did.  As I recall, he'd just signed a four-year extension, and then less than a year, he started the "I might demand a trade" talk.  KG, on the other hand, threatened the Twolves that he would opt out, which is definitely his right.

Regardless, I see them as one in the same; either you intend to honor your contract or you don't.  "Demands" are a ridiculous thing to me, and just once, I'd love to see a team stand up to a player and tell them to pound salt.

(It won't really work in Carmelo's case, though, since he's got more leverage; he can just leave for New York next summer.  However, for other players with longer term deals, I'd like to see the team tell them that they won't trade them under any circumstances.  The Hornets appear to be doing this, and more power to them.)

The Hornets aren't really doing that.  They are changing to become a better team already to appease Paul with the Ariza trade and are looking for other moves. All Paul wants is a competitive team and they are trying to become one again. Anyways that's a pretty terrible example since that New Orleans team has been crippled the last few years by the incompetence of their execs.. the Posey deal, Chandler deal, Okafor, Peja... all terrible contracts.  If a team (coaches, execs, owners etc) can hold players accountable I think they players can hold the team accountable for incompetence.  They simply were not putting a good team on the floor.

And you won't see that kind of hostility towards a player because that would just be bad news.  Your asking for him to quit or completely disrupt the locker room. 

Players can certainly be in the wrong at times, but the teams can be as well and the thing is execs can be awful for years and years and years and it doesn't matter to them, players have a limited window in which they can compete at a high level in athletics.  They are just trying to maximize their potential in that window.  So I understand that aspect of it.

Anyways, Melo is a free agent so he can do absolutely whatever he wants and he owes nothing to anyone.  He should take his best option.  I really liked that Denver team but they peaked two seasons ago when they lost to LA in the Western Finals.  Too bad because they were so close, just a few smarter plays and they had it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:08:48 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

Haha can't imagine what kind of response this would get from Denver's management or even Denver fans. They'd probably think it was a joke.