Author Topic: Memphis with good draft?!?!?!?  (Read 6110 times)

Memphis with good draft?!?!?!?
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Shockingly, I think Memphis came away as one of the winners of this draft.  Not only did they come away with Mayo, but they also filled a major need with Darrell Arthur (they gave up Greene and a second rounder).

They still need to trade one of their young PG's, but this team might actually have a future...

Re: Memphis with good draft?!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:35:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think they overpayed just to get rid of Cardinal. 

Giving up Miller to move up two spots is too expensive when look at this draft. 

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I liked the Darrell Arthur move. They should have just drafted him in the first place. Arthur will help them out in the paint.

I also like Houston getting Donte Greene. He'll be a great fit next to T-Mac and Battier. Really solidifies their wings. They look good up front and at the point. It's all about health now.

I'm still thinking on the main trade Memphis made.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I guess it depends on what you think of Mayo.  If he ends up reaching his potential, and being a superstar, then its a good trade, if not, then you're right.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Shockingly, I think Memphis came away as one of the winners of this draft.  Not only did they come away with Mayo, but they also filled a major need with Darrell Arthur (they gave up Greene and a second rounder).

They still need to trade one of their young PG's, but this team might actually have a future...

if mayo's good as advertised, they had a good draft. but i still think they made a horrid trade with minn. just keep love, you already have gay, a guy you supposedly belive in.

plus, does anyone really trust wallace to not give away mayo for a cheese sandwich the mintue he shows any potential?  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They might need to trade 2 of their young PGs, but if Arthur was going to fill a major need on a team he probably wouldn't have lasted until 27.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:30:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They might need to trade 2 of their young PGs, but if Arthur was going to fill a major need on a team he probably wouldn't have lasted until 27.

Arthur is going to be a very good player.  He fell because of some issues with his physical, which scared teams away, but are reportedly solved...Well, that, and I think a lot of the teams in the 20's had made promises, and simply couldn't take him.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Can they get David Lee for Kyle Lowry and a future 2nd rounder?

That might help both teams. 

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

I guess it depends on what you think of Mayo.  If he ends up reaching his potential, and being a superstar, then its a good trade, if not, then you're right.

Even still, Mike Miller is a lot to give up.  Miller is underrated - a shooter who can at least play some all around ball.  These guys are valuable.  BY giving up Miller, Mayo has to be an allstar for the Grizz.  However, we all know that at least half of the Grizz's motiovation in this deal was to save themselves from Brian Cardinal's bad (but really not THAT bad) contract.  In the end, I think Mike Miller was an overpayment to move up to Mayo, but part of that payment was for what the Grizz do best - give away talent for money.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline 35Reggie

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
I disagree. I don't like the move for Memphis. Yes, Mayo has quite a bit of potential, but they don't have any size on their team and Love is going to be better than most people think. It seemed like they initially drafted well based on talent available and team need, but then they gave up one of their only offensive threats in an effort to get another point guard.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Even still, Mike Miller is a lot to give up.  Miller is underrated - a shooter who can at least play some all around ball.  These guys are valuable.  BY giving up Miller, Mayo has to be an allstar for the Grizz.  However, we all know that at least half of the Grizz's motiovation in this deal was to save themselves from Brian Cardinal's bad (but really not THAT bad) contract.  In the end, I think Mike Miller was an overpayment to move up to Mayo, but part of that payment was for what the Grizz do best - give away talent for money.

Actually, they took on Jaric's even worse contract (it is bigger, and a year longer).

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think you could be looking at an exciting team, perhaps even a good 2k9 team. A lot of athleticism, and players that can play on both ends. They're still a big deep from being a legitimate threat.... Maybe an expiring contract and a second round pick for Pau Gasol....

If they could pull that one off, as well as the proposed lee trade (which I think the Knicks would think about.... though I don't know why they're so desperate to get rid of Lee)

Conley
Mayo
Gay
Lee
Gasol

Of course the key to that team being Gasol....

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

if mayo's good as advertised, they had a good draft. but i still think they made a horrid trade with minn. just keep love, you already have gay, a guy you supposedly belive in.

plus, does anyone really trust wallace to not give away mayo for a cheese sandwich the mintue he shows any potential?  ;)

If so, I hope Ainge has a cheese sandwich handy.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
Come on, everybody here knows Memphis was desperate to get employee #8, he was the key to to the deal ;)

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 07:39:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think you could be looking at an exciting team, perhaps even a good 2k9 team. A lot of athleticism, and players that can play on both ends. They're still a big deep from being a legitimate threat.... Maybe an expiring contract and a second round pick for Pau Gasol....

If they could pull that one off, as well as the proposed lee trade (which I think the Knicks would think about.... though I don't know why they're so desperate to get rid of Lee)

Conley
Mayo
Gay
Lee
Gasol

Of course the key to that team being Gasol....

They already have Gasol. Marc, not Paul. He's not as good as his brother, but he's a natural center, not a PF who gets overweight to fill that position.

Conley-Mayo-Gay-Arthur-Gasol is a young and solid core. How good they'll be will depend on how some of these guys pan out. I'm only sure about Gay, but I wont disregard any of the others.